Losing weight pregnant

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 09:02 am
My weight is 286, and I am 5 feet tall. I have just started a exercise program. I have also just discovered I am pregnant. If I am eating sensibly and continue to exercise and I do lose weight, will I be harming my baby? (Reason for exercise to control Type 2 diabetes along with diet)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 666 • Replies: 2
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 09:31 am
Well, I'm not a doctor and you should probably talk to yours but here's what I think.

There are two things here. One is, you have to get your weight down to control your diabetes, which you know and you are taking action to do. This is even more important for your baby.

The other thing though, is that when you burn fat cells you are releasing certain toxins into your body that were encapsulated by those fat cells. There is a risk that rapid weight loss might not be good for your baby.

Ultimately, your doctor can tell you best, but I would say that a reasonable goal would be to try to keep your weight steady through pregnancy and not gain any at all. This way, you will have a 25 to 35 pound weight loss within a few weeks of birth, especially if you're breast feeding.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 06:32 pm
I think you should ask your doctor what diet would a normal weight woman be put on if she found out that she was pregnant. Just by following the prescribed diet of a pregnant, five foot tall woman you will probably lose some excess weight, but be taking in enough nutrition for both you and the baby.

As FreeDuck mentions, it is easier to lose weight after the birth if you breast feed.

This is a good time to change your eating habits since you will also be teaching your child how to deal with food in the near future.
0 Replies