Taking a "stress day" from work

msolga

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 04:03 am
OK, you're very stressed. Exhausted, in fact.
So you take a day off work.

Question: what reason do you give for your absence from work? The truth? Or something else?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,647 • Replies: 41
No top replies

msolga

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 04:06 am
Stress is a pretty common condition in many work places, yet it's not quite acceptable to call your state what it is, it seems. So what DO you say? Confused
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 04:19 am
Um, can someone tell me how to move this thread from "general news" to "general"? I must have been stressed when I posted it! Laughing

Speaking of sickies: I had one yesterday. Just felt tired, zombie-like & stressed & couldn't face the thought of a day of work. I returned today. Did I give the real reason for my absence? Of course not! Something about "pressing commitments" was my excuse. The interesting thing is EVERYONE is tired & stressed there, but it's a no no to say so! Confused
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 05:38 am
Lol - click "report" on your first post, make it a "feature/de-feature/move" request, and type your request in nicely.

Oh - in my last job, as long as you did it seldom, and you didn't cause massive inconvenience, it was ok to admit to a "mental health day" every now and then.

But - for me - I have to give myself a "real" physical symptom before I can do it.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 05:50 am
Thanks, Deb.
Done.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 05:51 am
I was a director of a psych rehab program. The people out in the field had a stressful time of it, and burnout was always a problem. From time to time when I saw a staff member who appeared particularly stressed, I would say something like, "Time for a 'mental health' day".

My staff know that I had no problem with it, and ultimately the way that I handled things promoted more efficiency in the long run. I think that the staff appreciated that they did not have the need to lie. Also, if I knew in advance that someone would be out sick, I could plan for it, so it was a win-win situation.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 05:52 am
I am horrible, If I don't want to go to work, I will say that I have been throwing up all night and I must have gotten a 24 hour bug and then I come in the next day perfectly fine.... I am always scared to say that I can't come in for personal reasons!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 05:58 am
That might be wise.
You ARE their slave, you know, CL! :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 06:05 am
"Vegetative dystonia" is a reason to be on sick leave here (at least, it was some time ago).
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 06:15 am
And here's the treatment!:
http://www.heel.com/products/?smid=4&sympID=60
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 06:16 am
Now tell me what it means, Walter!
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 06:16 am
Stress? What's stress? I don't believe in stress. I don't I tell ya. Who created the word? Stress is a figment of the imagination! I have never had a moment of stress in my life. No not one single moment...up until now when I have become quite stressed wondering if anybody will believe me when I say I have never had any stress.

As to what to do, I must admit to telling a semi-lie and saying I am not feeling well. Sometimes it is true only to the degree that, if I were to go to work I would feel ill by the end of a few hours and therefore would not be performing my duties as well as I should. Not really a problem I suppose since I am only a safety inspector of nuclear warheads Laughing .
http://www.bearpaws2.com/stress.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 06:19 am
Feeling a wee bit stressed right now, Sturgis? Laughing
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 06:25 am
I work under conditions which allow three days sick without a doctor's note. Amazingly enough it's not abused all that much. However we do have to put in a formal written request for sick leave and in a separate form we have to explain what was wrong with us. It's very common for people to type "medical condition" without the specifics. Me, I write up all the symptoms Very Happy

I do take the odd mental health day. I work by myself so it doesn't put anyone else under pressure, just means I have more to do when I get back. But I do think that there is a real need to do so. I don't know if it's stress or burnout or what it is but when I get back to work and back into it I think "what was wrong that I had to take a day off?" It seems a bit weird as I like my work.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 06:31 am
Oh just a wee bit msolga nothing a few nail hammerings won't fix (amazing how stress can be relieved by hammering nails into boards).
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 06:35 am
I know what you mean, gf. I see it as reaching saturation point. One more bit (of whatever it is you do) just feels like a HUGE effort. Yes, it is a sort of burn out feeling. Amazing how just one day off the treadmill enjoying the illusion of freedom can perk one up! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 06:36 am
Sturgis wrote:
Oh just a wee bit msolga nothing a few nail hammerings won't fix (amazing how stress can be relieved by hammering nails into boards).

A bit of dirt under the fingernails (gardening) does it for me, Sturgis. Very Happy
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 06:39 am
msolga thank you for that response - that's exactly what it feels like - a saturation point.

I remember back many years ago when I first worked full time for our union for a year I didn't take any sick days but for a couple of months during a particularly difficult and stressful industrial process I was getting home on a Friday night and spending the entire weekend in a daze before dragging myself back to work Monday morning. That was pure stress, I know it now.

And that's what it felt like, saturation.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 06:47 am
There's something about "people intensive" jobs that does that to you, gf. I really enjoy it most of the time, but it's the constant alertness that's necessary, the listening, responding.... (and in my case: always trying to find a way to get the best of of the adolescents I work with. Appearing good natured when you mightn't quite be feeling that way. Keeping 'em on side and at it! It can be draining!)
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 03:54 pm
i'm a big fan of the take the crap to work with you and spread it around, why should ibe stressed and miserable alone at home when i can share it with my coworkers
0 Replies