Grooming Politicians for Christ - Unbelievable

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 07:02 pm
Quote:
Grooming Politicians for Christ

Evangelical programs on Capitol Hill seek to mold a new generation of leaders who will answer not to voters, but to God.

LA Times

This is a three page article with some information I found rather alarming.

Here are a few choice clips:

Quote:
Such programs share a commitment to developing leaders who read the Bible as a blueprint.

As Kennedy put it: "If we leave it to man to decide what's good and evil, there will be chaos."

Quote:
The seminars proved a revelation. In one, Greene learned that ministers ran many of America's earliest schools. He hadn't thought much about education policy before that class. Now he plans to fight for history lessons on the Founding Fathers' faith, science lessons drawn from the Book of Genesis and public school prayer.

Quote:

Quote:
Now the director of the Eagle Forum, a conservative lobbying group founded by Phyllis Schlafly, Echard says Jesus would approve of a call for lower taxes: "God calls on us to be stewards of our [own] money."

She dips into the Bible to explain her opposition to most global treaties, reasoning that Americans have a holy obligation to protect their God-given freedom by avoiding foreign entanglements.

"The Scripture talks of taking every thought and making it captive to Christ, and that's what the Statesmanship Institute helps us do," Echard said.

Quote:

Quote:
The nation needs more politicians who take their cues from God, not Gallup, or "our morality will crumble," he warned. "We won't recognize America."

Why does this feel like a step back 200 years? Are these people crazy?

In your estimation, will they succeed?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,533 • Replies: 26
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 07:14 pm
Perhaps they should be told - There is no real Christ, and never was.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 08:04 pm
The question is will America become a theocracy? Though it's funny how the exhortations of the Bible exactly match the interests of the privileged and the wealthy. Quite amazing.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 08:06 pm
bm
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 08:19 pm
Be afraid, Squinney and GF. Be very, very afraid.

SmileSmileSmile
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 09:05 pm
Afraid? I'm terrified.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 09:15 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
Afraid? I'm terrified.

Just purchase your horns now buddy your going to hell. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 09:30 pm
These right wing extremists are in the process of hanging themselves with their own rope. Much as the liberals did in the 60's and 70's .
Americans are mostly driven by common sense, but do tend to get swung back and forth by the political winds.
It might take a few years, but these folks will get pushed back to the fringe, and we will all get on with our lives.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 09:47 pm
Baldimo wrote:
Merry Andrew wrote:
Afraid? I'm terrified.

At least the company will be interesting Very Happy
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 09:49 pm
goodfielder wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
Merry Andrew wrote:
Afraid? I'm terrified.

At least the company will be interesting Very Happy

I'm guess I'm going to be there as well seeing as how I don't beleive in Jesus.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 10:31 pm
Re: Grooming Politicians for Christ - Unbelievable
squinney wrote:

That's harsh. The country wasn't that backwards 200 years ago.

Quote:

They've got a shot. I hope LionTamerX's right, but unless the religious right is checked or the alliance between the religious right and free market/low tax conservatives breaks, and soon, then I fear things will get far worse before they get better. And since these religious right folks are making sure to find Biblical justification for low taxes, it's unlikely that the alliance will fold.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 10:47 pm
Re: Grooming Politicians for Christ - Unbelievable
Mills75 wrote:
squinney wrote:

That's harsh. The country wasn't that backwards 200 years ago.

Quote:

They've got a shot. I hope LionTamerX's right, but unless the religious right is checked or the alliance between the religious right and free market/low tax conservatives breaks, and soon, then I fear things will get far worse before they get better. And since these religious right folks are making sure to find Biblical justification for low taxes, it's unlikely that the alliance will fold.

Do you want high taxes? Feel free to take fewer dependents on your taxes next time and you can contribute to more taxes. I for one prefer lower taxes.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 06:01 am
Scares the hell out of me. The thing that I find most disturbing is the question of Supreme Court justices. If Bush nominates justices who come from the religious right, their influence will be felt far after the pendulum has swung back.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 06:08 am
"Imagine no religion"

Think about it.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 06:51 am
This thread tickles me. I guess some of the crackpots here who are scared "witless" (LOL) realize they'd have never survived in this country (all those religious nuts dontchaknow) a mere 200 years ago.

Smile

Oh...and y'all better watch out for that John Roberts guy....he's a Cathodic, ya know.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 06:54 am
Baldimo, I don't think that's what Mills was talking about.

Actually, there's a shot at breaking up the Republicans along just those lines. Cracks are already starting to appear with prominent conservatives expressing dismay at current government spending. But somebody has to offer them an alternative. If I were a Democrat, or a leader in the Democratic party, I would be trying to co-opt the small government platform.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 07:00 am
Baldimo wrote:
Do you want high taxes? Feel free to take fewer dependents on your taxes next time and you can contribute to more taxes. I for one prefer lower taxes.

Baldy - they don't even have to go to that much trouble. They could just mail checks ... you know, donate their disposable income to the government if they're so ticked off about low taxes. Uh huh. That'll be the day LOL.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 07:24 am
PS...y'all can all relax (for the time being LOL). No need to get your boxers all in a bunch until the religious rightwing nuts get them a whole fleet of THESE:

http://www.specialoperations.com/Aviation/Little_Birds/littlebird2.jpg

Then y'all can start shakin' ...LOL!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 07:47 am
<snore>
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 08:11 am
squinney

Little in here surprises those of us who have been following the rise of right wing theocrats in US culture and within the modern Republican party.

But their interests and goals will increasingly conflict with other powerful factions within the Republican coalition (eg corporate America will be no more happy to subsume activity to religious-minded ideologues than to liberal-minded ideologues).

It is this crowd which will rip the right coalition apart and give us the blessing of a third party.
0 Replies