question about wedding ceremony/reception

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 02:29 pm
so I'm getting married this november, and the way that it is working out, my parents will take care of the whole wedding reception for us. i,e. booking the restaurant, food, decorations at the restaurant, things like that.

The way that it turns out, the wedding reception is it. There wont be a "wedding ceremony."

My parents are chinese and are not christian or affiliated with any religion, and for them, the wedding reception is most important thing, and the ceremony is not that important, and we can just do it at the courthouse.

I dont know, from tv's and everything, there was always some kind of ceremony that goes in the beginning, and all of my friends who had a wedding had some kind of ceremony.

Have you guys been to a wedding without a ceremony and just skipped right to the reception?

maybe it's a generation gap, but I just feel a bit uncomfortable w/out having a ceremony....

If I talk to my parents about it, they will insist that they are right, and the reception is all that is needed...dddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 592 • Replies: 6
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 02:33 pm
What about having the justice of the peace come to YOU for the wedding?
Get married away from the court house? That way,. you have your wedding 'spot' that doesnt interfier with your parents pocket book? ;-)
I think they may be more worried about aded cost since the whole ceremony only lasts a few minutes , but the after-party is where the memories are.
I am doing much the same thing myself. And I think that it is turning out to be a better plan. You spend more time at the reception then at the alter. You wont see all the decorations, the details etc..
What have your parents said about the whole thing so far?
Do YOU have money to add to the wedding bills so that you can feel more comfortable asking and dictating the where abouts of things? and how things are going?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 02:35 pm
There has to be something that actually makes you "married" - the reception doesn't do that.

I've been to quite a few weddings/civil services where there were only a few witnesses to the actual legal procedure - and then there was a big reception. I kinda prefer it because I think it's a waste of a day to have to go to a whole long marriage ceremony and then a reception. A nice civil service and a cocktail party - 2 or 3 hours of my time - I can get on with my life. I appreciate the consideration of those bridal couples.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 02:36 pm
we had a retired judge do our ceremony in the same place as the reception (only the ceremony was outside and the reception was inside). it didn't cost anything extra since all they did was set up chairs. we did all the decorations, just some white bows and two peace lilies on either side of where the judge actually married us.

our ceremony was all of 5 minutes, and the reception was 5 hours.

did that answer your question??
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 02:39 pm
You have to have a ceremony of some sort, else ya ain't married. But it can be very fast, at the court or the reception hall, wherever you prefer, as has been mentioned above. Doesn't even have to be the same day as the party.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 02:43 pm
jespah wrote:
Doesn't even have to be the same day as the party.

That was how my very favourite wedding event went.
Couple got married at City Hall with witnesses they found on the street.
On their way to the airport for their honeymoon, they dropped announcements in the mail.

J and E got married.
Come party with us on (2 weeks later) at (cool private club).

Two weeks after the wedding, they came back from their honeymoon and we all got together for a great evening of snacks and drinks and dancing. They hadn't even told their parents beforehand. Family from Israel flew in on standby flights. It was great!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 02:55 pm
You sound as though you may be worried about your Western friends understanding your parents' customs.

They may not understand, but they will be fascinated. Cultural differences are always interesting.
0 Replies