APRIL ART CHAT - doing art in time of war

farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2003 03:41 pm
Satt, I was just trying to be civil with you since you post "to Posture" rather than communicate. If you wish to try another way, its your call fella.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2003 03:50 pm
Vivien, Ive only seen picture book collections of Turners work and those were mostly his greqat oils and many of his watercolors. No sketchbooks. Id like to see some, if you know of any good titles or links/

his time period of work, 18 9teens) through the 1830s was a time for preparation for the coming revolutions in the way we see things. Like the impressionists a few decades later and Pugins "unclehood" of the Arts and Crafts movement of the late 1800s.
bumblebee-I liked that WWI site .
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2003 08:26 pm
turner
If there are Turner sketchbooks around, 400 might know where. Missed you at the chat room, FM
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2003 08:55 pm
I need to figure the quick way in. I had to search on FAQs and other places before I found the chat room. However, noone was there so i went and watched a DVD with the rest of the posse.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2003 09:12 pm
faq
The fastest way in, I suppose, is to go to HOME and then click into the chat room. You were checked in when I got there. I had a nice 4-post conversation with you (assuming you were there but there was no indication in the record that you had checked out). Finally I got wise and stopped talking to myself. Embarrassed Dysl. Fatima and I carried on for a while, then Rae and Roger showed up. It was fun. Missed your participation. Didn't get much into the war theme. Maybe next time.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 04:43 am
Aha. I gave it a quick test.it works. Too bad i missed out. I got in by some circuitous route last night, mostly fumbled around till I hit on the chat room and then saw that I was the only one there.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 06:58 am
Turner's lover, I cannot remember his name, destroyed many of Turner's sketch books and some paintings after he died. Apparently there were some erotic drawings and paintings that the family did not want the public to see.
0 Replies

sodabred

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 07:37 pm
art in time of war
It was pointed out to me ,by someone who was in therapy that ,the first thing this person was told, turn off the TV! I think artist should do the same turn off the TV. I believe that since the time of Ensor , the Artist can live in his own world and hit back with his own world(or whatever) in his painting,prints or whatever.Real protest is not mimicing violence but in creating something quite the opposite. Smile Since 1984 do you believe we are in an Orwellian era?What with all of the little wars?
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 04:03 pm
Farmerman - I'm hoping to go down to see the Turners again at the Tate during the summer. I wish I had noted down the name of the book on his sketchbooks - I had it out of the college library when i was at uni and then went to an exhibition focussing on them at the Tate - it was magical.

If i find out I will let you know. You might find it on the Tate Gallery site????? Tate Britain not Tate Modern (London)

sorry i couldn't be more help.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 07:49 am
Sunday, 4/27, we will meet in the A2k chat room to discuss art and other great stuff.

Please join in if you can. The time is 8:00 EDT, the place A2k chat room, the day Sunday.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 11:22 pm
I'm baaaaaaaaaack! Oh, what a great time I had, but way too short.

Joanne, I'm not mad, were you thinking you were all digressing too much? I love digression, what with having trouble being linear myself. This thread turned out well, I think, with a lot of talk about what the chat subject for the month has been, supporting the chat functionally.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 01:46 am
Osso so gald you are back cannot wait to hear all the details of your trip in Sunday. And it is good you are not upset with us as you know how we are I was just teasing when I said you would kill us for straying from the exact topic.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 02:03 pm
Am I hopeless or just terminally forgetful? Joanne was kind enough to remind me of the chat and I got busy with other things and forgot. I need an alarm clock by the computer! Sigh.... Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 06:27 pm
You should get an alarm Diane as we had such fun on Sunday lots of great laughs.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 07:17 pm
Whining, sighing and kicking myself. Oh sh*t!
0 Replies