APRIL ART CHAT - doing art in time of war

farmerman

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 06:46 pm
vivien-welcome aboard . Yes.youre right.Most of Turners work was really a view of nature or his watercolors were more art of the "moment in Time". However you can go back to his Hannibal or Ulysses as sort of wartime comment paintings during the period that involved Englands wars with France and America and then the Fighting Tameraire in the 1830s as a post war years comment.I forget when the burning of the Parliament building was done. , but I think it was in the pre 1820, period? Someone will look it up, or perhaps Joanne Dorels pic had a link attached on the painting

JL. MAcho doesnt mean celebration of filth. If youve ever unloaded and tossed about 200 , 50 LB bales of hay, besides getting tired, the hay, being so dusty and picky, leaves a residue on the skin and via some dialectric phenom, hay clings to one. No other time does a shower, and a hot cup of tea hit the spot . Coffee in a dirty cup, indeed.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 07:02 pm
A black humor. And effective.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 08:27 pm
coffee
When I'm with friends in a coffee shop, like Coffee Plantation, and they are engaging in their "ceremonies of affluence" ordering the fanciest, most complex coffee concoctions, I'm always tempted to order "coffee, black, in a dirty cup, please." But I've only managed to do it once. Unfortunately, it didn't have the desired effect. Nobody laughed, and I think the cup WAS dirty. So I just think it now.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 08:48 pm
john i think thats supposed to be "coffee, black, in a dirty cup and cold, please"
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 09:40 pm
coffee
But I don't like cold coffee!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 03:28 am
JLN do I detect a new breed of cat. Vivian welcome to A2k and the Art Forum and about Turner I could not resist, the color, how can a fire look so good.
0 Replies

kayla

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 04:12 am
I was hauling groceries out of my van when the bag with the wine started to take a tumble. I stopped its fall with my knee. You want to talk about pain. It was all I could do to get up the stairs, open the damn bottle and have a slug. No shower, no tea. Just a hasty glass of vino and then, yes, a nap. The knee still hurt like hell, but who cares.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 04:52 am
Kayla, In Pa we would never have that problem of losing a bottle of wine from the grocery bag, because you cant buy wine in a supermarket like the rest of the civilized world.

CAn anyone think of some great upheaval in civilization (war, plague, depression , occupation , exploration) that has had , the most recognized effect on the arts ( visual as well as performance)
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 05:51 am
The sacking of the museum in Iraq and the loss of the artifacts that tie 6,000 years of civilization together.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 12:26 pm
art
Joanne, your response to FM is about one of the most important things to have happened in art-archaeological history. But if I understand Farmerperson's question correctly I would nominate the first world war and its generation of EXPRESSIONISM. Just a personal view. (ouch! all views are personal).
The master of redundancy.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 02:03 pm
OK heres my spin . I think the Franco Prussian War because it gave rise to the impressionists who paved the way for modernism. The art nouveau and Arts and Crafts as a negative response to Victorian decorative arts. AND the gradual transition from High Romanticism by the works of Wagner and liszt, as well as the gradual rise of Modernist Music of late 19th century and early 20th. I dont know where the points of departure came for all of these but Id love to see a time line to see who was influenced by whom.

MAybe the subjectivity of response of which you speak JL, is the spirit of the collective works of the time by which we each are most influenced.

I have to admit that, as a kid my older cousin used to take me along with he and his girlfriend to the Friday evening movies at the St Stanislawzs Parrish Hall. In which they would show entire movies (uncut) from the old FLASH GORDON serials that used to be shown in the 1930s. They apparently gave that stuff away to schools and public institutions in the late 1950s when I was in 1st or 2nd grade.
Before becoming a total art freak, I got hooked on FRANZ Liszt Music . Whenever I hear Les Preludes I always remember my Flash Gordon flicks during which I would sit and sketch the monsters(see it all came together and I didnt need Shrink to find it). I then found the work of the Impressionists and Post Impressionists and was totally cranked for the rest of my life. Of course somewhere in there I started listening to Miles,, Bach and Flatts and Scruggs, and liking much of the AE art
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 02:46 pm
flash
Great life progression, FM; I never quite got past Emperor Ming.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 04:10 pm
Yikes, JLN what was FM's question?

Osso is going to kill us all when she gets back for NYC, nah. Well it will be artful killing I suppose.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 06:04 pm
The on-line Museum of World War I Art
Great site for this topic, everything is there: The on-line Museum of World War I Art:

http://www.art-ww1.com/gb/index2.html

-----BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 06:09 pm
Another good site covering art of all famous wars
Another good site covering art of all famous wars:

http://www.war-art.com/

-----BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 06:54 pm
Every war affected art, and melted bronze sculptures into arms.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 07:28 pm
Thats the point satt. I wanted to know , which war or period of other rapid social change had , in your opinion, the greatest artistic resume.

Your point that war sponsors and fosters the subject matter, but also claims its victims of previous art. Never thought of that. Kind of DArwinian, where the protagonist wishes to foster his artistic progeny at the expense ofthat of the previous culture.

One thing i was always grateful about Hermann Goehring. He , at least had the good taste and presence of mind to loot and store the art that Hitlers Sonderauftrag Linzwould have burnt
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 07:31 pm
farmerman wrote:
Your point that war sponsors and fosters the subject matter, [..]

Where in my post you read that? If you are referring to my post, I must say, you should improve your reading ability.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 08:21 pm
Tomorrow night, Sunday April 20th, the A2k Cyber Art Salon meets at 8:00 p.m. to discuss all of the above. Join us in the A2k chat room at the above time.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2003 07:15 am
farmerman - it's getting off the subject a bit - but have you ever seen Turners sketchbooks?

They are sooooo contemporary they are wonderful. The Tate Gallery has a large collection of them.

Shocked Very Happy
0 Replies