• Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,213 • Replies: 7
Topic Closed
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Sun 9 Jul, 2023 11:44 am
@Takka,
One (of many) possibilities is that the person is not telling you important aspects of his life. There are other possibilities, but what I wrote is the first thing that comes to mind.
Takka

Sun 9 Jul, 2023 12:14 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I see

You would think that person is untrustworthy?
Mame

Sun 9 Jul, 2023 03:04 pm
@Takka,
Not necessarily. Not everyone shares a lot with everyone they know.

I'd ask why they have no friends - not interested in anything, like hobbies or events, books, food, etc. Maybe they don't initiate conversations. A lot of people are ego-centred. Some people feel they have enough friends. When you initiate a conversation, that's a good time and way to find out what you have in common. That's usually a good way to start friendships or acquaintanceships which can then turn into friendships.
Takka

Sun 9 Jul, 2023 03:53 pm
@Mame,
That's a difficult question to answer, because it can be embarrassing. You can still have hobbies and interests, but if you have to move around for work and live in sketchy areas to save money, you don't get much chance to build friendships. Especially if you have to work long hours/shift work

Often there's not much chance to be in the right place at the right time to have a conversation. I can't remember the last time I had one
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Tue 11 Jul, 2023 10:54 pm
I'd be intrigued and glued to their every word.
izzythepush

Thu 13 Jul, 2023 01:26 am
@bobsal u1553115,
It could be Tarzan.

He didn't have any friends or family unless you include a load of gorillas.
bobsal u1553115

Thu 13 Jul, 2023 11:24 am
@izzythepush,
Could be. There is no Tarzan Jr in the phone directory, I know: I looked.

There seems to be a musical called Tarzan, Jr based on Disney's animation film, Tarzan.

Tarzan Jr. Presented by CMT

Mar 26, 2014 | 2014 Articles, Terrance V. Mc Arthur

by Terrance Mc Arthur

Tarzan Jr. doesn’t swing or yell, but the show does.

Children’s Musical Theaterworks in Fresno likes a challenge. Tarzan Jr., an adapted, simplified version of the Broadway musical, with book by David Henry Hwang, based on the Disney film with music and lyrics by Phil Collins, based on Edgar Rice Burroughs’ 1910 novel Tarzan of the Apes, is a challenge.

Turning a Disney animated film into a stage show is akin to trying to get Michelangelo’s “David” to sing and dance. The media are completely different, so the challenges are great.

To put this show on the stage, set designer Matt McGee created a mammoth jungle gym…in a jungle. There are things to crawl through, ramps to run up, trees to climb over, and ropes to swing on (although I’d have liked the rope vines to be more than background moments). Trina Maxson Short did torture to yards of fabric to design costumes that made a lot of people go ape. Director Jenny Myers turned a cartoon into life. These people did a lot of work.

Jane played by Logan Carnation, Tarzan played by Jordan Taylor, and Clayton played by Andrew Kidder

You know who Tarzan is, right? Orphaned when his shipwrecked, British-nobility parents are killed, he is raised by apes, not knowing of humans until a scientific explorer reaches the area with his daughter…Jane. That’s right. “Me, Tarzan. You, Jane,” only that’s not the real line.

Jordan Taylor has great hair. Jordan is slender. Jordan is graceful. Jordan plays Tarzan. His character’s thirst and quest for knowledge comes across as sincere, and his lean, nimble body propels him across the stage.

Madison Fray alternates with Logan Carnation as Jane. Madison is engaging as the Victorian young lady who finds herself taking a walk on the wild side.

Mother played by Hailey Strahm, Father played by Mitchell Lam Hau

Brandon Delsid has been stealing scenes for much of his young life, and he collects a number of them here as Terk, the gorilla voiced in the Disney animation by Rosie O’Donnell. He has swagger. He has style. He has a bright-tipped, ornate fauxhawk. He comes off as the Artful Dodger with lots of body hair.

Cady Mejia and Hudson Short shine as Tarzan’s foster gorilla-parents. Mejia puts a lot of love and caring into each line as Nala, and Short is gruff and ominous as Kerchak, leader of the gorilla band. Mitchell Lam Hau plays both Tarzan’s father and the dotty Professor Porter.

This Tarzan doesn’t swing over the audience or yell like Johnny Weismuller, but he is Lord of the Stage. Tarzan Jr. plays at Fresno’s Veterans’ Memorial Auditorium through March 30. for tickets and more information, go to www.cmtworks.org or call (866)-973-9610 one hour before each show.

You can find more theatre reviews and entertainment articles in KRL’s arts & entertainment section.

From WIKI https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarzan

In her Manliness and Civilization, Gail Bederman describes how various people of the time either challenged or upheld the idea that "civilization" is predicated on white masculinity. She closes with a chapter on Tarzan of the Apes (1912) because the story's protagonist is, according to her, the ultimate male by the standards of 1912 White Americans. Bederman does note that Tarzan, "an instinctively chivalrous Anglo-Saxon," does not engage in sexual violence, renouncing his "masculine impulse to rape." However, she also notes that not only does Tarzan kill black man Kulonga in revenge for killing his ape mother (a stand-in for his biological White mother) by hanging him, "lyncher Tarzan" actually enjoys killing black people, for example the cannibalistic Mbongans.[16]

Bederman, in fact, reminds readers that when Tarzan first introduces himself to Jane, he does so as "Tarzan, the killer of beasts and many black men". The novel climaxes with Tarzan saving Jane (who in the original novel is not British, but a southern White woman from Baltimore, Maryland) from a black ape rapist. When he leaves the jungle and sees "civilized" Africans farming, his first instinct is to kill them just for being Black. "Like the lynch victims reported in the Northern press, Tarzan's victims—cowards, cannibals, and despoilers of white womanhood—lack all manhood. Tarzan's lynchings thus prove him the superior man."[16]

According to Bederman, despite Tarzan embodying all the tropes of white supremacy espoused or rejected by the people she had reviewed (Theodore Roosevelt, G. Stanley Hall, Charlotte Perkins Gilman, Ida B. Wells), Burroughs, in all probability, was not trying to make any kind of statement or echo any of them. "He probably never heard of any of them." Instead, Bederman writes that Burroughs proves her point because, in telling racist and sexist stories whose protagonist boasted of killing black people, he was not being unusual at all, but was instead just being a typical 1912 White American.[16]

To entertain Tarzan and to show him what great strides civilization had taken—the son of The First Woman seized a female by the hair and dragging her to him struck her heavily about the head and face with his clenched fist, and the woman fell upon her knees and fondled his legs, looking wistfully into his face, her own glowing with love and admiration.
0 Replies