Based on actual (policy stances), how we defined left, right, and center never stays the same.

Reply Mon 15 May, 2023 01:54 pm
1. Based on (detailed) policy stances and policy positions, the term political center or moderate is always in constant flux.

2. On (specific) policy stances, the definitions of political left, political right, and political center today would be quite different from their definitions from 20, 30, 40, 50 years ago.

3. It is quite possible that when based on (specific) policy stances, that each generation will have a different definition of what is the left, center, and middle.

4. When I hear people say that something is moderate or centrist, I say to them that I can remember a time that what they are referring to was not a moderate position.

Real Music

Reply Mon 15 May, 2023 02:30 pm
1. I prefer not using (today's) gauge or standard to define what particular policy positions are left, center, or right.

2. My left, right, and center definition may differ from someone else's definition in regard to (specific) policy positions.
Real Music

Reply Mon 15 May, 2023 02:37 pm
1. For me, it's much easier to align myself with the (major) political party that is more aligned with my political views
in regard to (actual) policy positions.

2. For me, that (major) political party is clearly the Democratic Party.

3. I don't necessarily agree with every policy stance of my Party.

4. But, that would be an (unrealistic) expectation to agree with any Party or any candidate one hundred percent of the time.

5. Sometimes I may reference a political label, but I prefer to reference the actual policy positions or stances.

6. When I do reference or use a label, I will use the term left or right.

7. I rarely ever use the (actual) term middle or center.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 15 May, 2023 03:01 pm
@Real Music,
I know what you mean. I've always been fairly conservative, and don't believe I've changed a bit. Somehow, what used to be conservative is looking fairly liberal,
Real Music

Reply Mon 15 May, 2023 03:36 pm
1. I was born in the 1960s.

2. My earliest memories of presidential politics was probably at some point seeing President Jimmy Carter on the television.

3. But, I was too young and only a kid to have any memories of presidential politics of that particular time.

4. I have a clear memory of when Ronald Reagan had defeated Jimmy Carter in the presidential race.

5. I was still kind of young. I remember the older adults around me being democrats. I remember the older adults around me (wanting) Jimmy Carter to win. But they were grudgingly saying that Reagan was going to win leading up to the election.

6. I was still young. Looking back on it now, I guess the older adults may have heard things on the news to lead them to believe that Reagan was going to defeat Carter.

7. It had the feel that it was a foregone conclusion that Reagan was going to defeat Carter.

8. I have some memories of Reagan's 8 years as president, but I really wasn't following politics that closely
during Reagan's 8 years.

9. I would have to say I just start paying attention to politics during the Michael Dukakis vs Geore H W Bush presidential campaign. That was around the (later) part of the 1980s.

10. The early 1990s, I started to pay attention to key US Senators and House Representatives.

11. The early 1990s, I was just starting to pay attention to actual (policies) for the first time.

12. From that point, that was my beginnings of actually following politics.

13. I have been following politics ever since.

14. The degree of how much I followed politics continued to grow more and more through the years.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 15 May, 2023 03:52 pm
1. Regarding politics before my time, I'm obviously not going to have any (personal) memories of how politics were.

2. Reading about politics in history books is very important and I believe that learning history in school is essential.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 15 May, 2023 04:10 pm
@roger,
1. What really gets me is when people today make claims of certain policy proposals as being centrist or moderate.
And from my perspective, that (particular) policy stance is conservative.

2. The political pundits and the politicians themselves, are always (redefining) the meaning
of left, right, and center in regard to (specific) policy proposals.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 15 May, 2023 04:20 pm
@roger,
1. I guess I am (far left) on some issues, whatever that means.

2. I guess I am (center left) on some issues, whatever that means.

3. I guess I am (in the middle) on some issues, whatever that means.

4. The one thing I know for certain is that I am a Democrat.

5. The other thing I know for certain is what my stance is on (specific) policy positions
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 15 May, 2023 04:26 pm

The so-call (middle or center) has been a moving goal post for decades.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 15 May, 2023 09:35 pm
@Real Music,
Plus as a nation of consensus builders, we have to be careful not to dive to the lowest common denominator.
Real Music

Reply Mon 15 May, 2023 10:32 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
1. There are (some) instances when consensus building can lead to (good) policy.

2. But, I do agree that in (some) instances, consensus building can lead to (bad) policy.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 16 May, 2023 01:00 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Plus as a nation of consensus builders, we have to be careful not to dive to the lowest common denominator.

Joe Manchin Probably Shocked, Maybe Embarrassed, That (His) Voting Rights Bill Got No GOP Votes.

Rachel Maddow reports on the voting rights bill that Senate Republicans filibustered to failure, and points out that this was the bill that Joe Manchin wrote (himself) in place of the Democratic bill because he said Republicans would vote for it and not use the filibuster.

No Republicans voted for it.

Published: Oct 20, 2021

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 16 May, 2023 01:11 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:

The 147 (Republicans) who still voted to (Overturn)
the election (AFTER) the Capitol Siege.

Published Jan 11, 2021

Quote:
It sounds like a scene from a dystopian movie, but it was a real day in Washington, D.C.

On Wednesday, throngs of President Donald Trump’s supporters violently stormed the Capitol, incited by the president himself, with plans to kill House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Vice President Mike Pence and others to stop them from certifying President-elect Joe Biden’s win. They smashed and stole federal property. They attacked police and journalists. They sent hundreds of lawmakers into hiding. Five people died. And the death toll could have been so, so much worse.

And yet, hours later, dozens of the same lawmakers who hid during the attempted coup returned to the House and Senate floors and voted just as Trump wanted them to: to overturn the election results in his favor, based on lies about widespread voter fraud.

There will be countless investigations into what happened that day and why it was so easy for white supremacist insurrectionists to break into the Capitol and potentially carry out a massacre. Why it took so long for federal law enforcement to respond. Who these domestic terrorists are and how their plan came together.

But one of the most egregious attacks on democracy happened in plain sight and requires no investigation: It was when these 147 Republican lawmakers cast their votes.

Rep. Cori Bush (D-Mo.) introduced a resolution on Monday to expel those who had tried to overturn the election on the grounds that they violated the 14th Amendment.

Here are the names of every Republican senator and member of Congress who voted to sustain objections to certifying the electoral results in two states where Trump lost, Arizona and Pennsylvania, despite no evidence of fraud.

In the Senate:

Ted Cruz (R-Texas)

Josh Hawley (R-Mo.)

Cindy Hyde-Smith (R-Miss.)

John Kennedy (R-La.)

Cynthia Lummis (R-Wyo.)

Roger Marshall (R-Kan.)

Rick Scott (R-Fla.)

Tommy Tuberville (R-Ala.)

In the House:

Robert Aderholt (R-Ala.)

Rick Allen (R-Ga.)

Jodey Arrington (R-Texas)

Brian Babin (R-Texas)

Jim Baird (R-Ind.)

Jim Banks (R-Ind.)

Cliff Bentz (R-Ore.)

Jack Bergman (R-Mich.)

Stephanie Bice (R-Okla.)

Andy Biggs (R-Ariz.)

Dan Bishop (R-N.C.)

Lauren Boebert (R-Colo.)

Mike Bost (R-Ill.)

Mo Brooks (R-Ala.)

Ted Budd (R-N.C.)

Tim Burchett (R-Tenn.)

Michael Burgess (R-Texas)

Ken Calvert (R-Calif.)

Kat Cammack (R-Fla.)

Jerry Carl (R-Ala.)

Buddy Carter (R-Ga.)

John Carter (R-Texas)

Madison Cawthorn (R-N.C.)

Steve Chabot (R-Ohio)

Ben Cline (R-Va.)

Michael Cloud (R-Texas)

Andrew Clyde (R-Ga.)

Tom Cole (R-Okla.)

Rick Crawford (R-Ark.)

Warren Davidson (R-Ohio)

Scott DesJarlais (R-Tenn.)

Mario Diaz-Balart (R-Fla.)

Byron Donalds (R-Fla.)

Jeff Duncan (R-S.C.)

Neal Dunn (R-Fla.)

Ron Estes (R-Kan.)

Pat Fallon (R-Texas)

Michelle Fischbach (R-Minn.)

Scott Fitzgerald (R-Wis.)

Chuck Fleischmann (R-Tenn.)

Virginia Foxx (R-N.C.)

Scott Franklin (R-Fla.)

Russ Fulcher (R-Idaho)

Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.)

Mike Garcia (R-Calif.)

Bob Gibbs (R-Ohio)

Carlos Gimenez (R-Fla.)

Louie Gohmert (R-Texas)

Bob Good (R-Va.)

Lance Gooden (R-Texas)

Paul Gosar (R-Ariz.)

Garret Graves (R-La.)

Sam Graves (R-Mo.)

Mark Green (R-Tenn.)

Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.)

Morgan Griffith (R-Va.)

Michael Guest (R-Miss.)

Jim Hagedorn (R-Minn.)

Andy Harris (R-Md.)

Diana Harshbarger (R-Tenn.)

Vicky Hartzler (R-Mo.)

Kevin Hern (R-Okla.)

Yvette Herrell (R-N.M.)

Jody Hice (R-Ga.)

Clay Higgins (R-La.)

Richard Hudson (R-N.C.)

Darrell Issa (R-Calif.)

Ronny Jackson (R-Texas)

Chris Jacobs (R-N.Y.)

Bill Johnson (R-Ohio)

Mike Johnson (R-La.)

Jim Jordan (R-Ohio)

John Joyce (R-Pa.)

Fred Keller (R-Pa.)

Mike Kelly (R-Pa.)

Trent Kelly (R-Miss.)

David Kustoff (R-Tenn.)

Doug LaMalfa (R-Calif.)

Doug Lamborn (R-Colo.)

Jake LaTurner (R-Kan.)

Debbie Lesko (R-Ariz.)

Billy Long (R-Mo.)

Barry Loudermilk (R-Ga.)

Frank Lucas (R-Okla.)

Blaine Luetkemeyer (R-Mo.)

Nicole Malliotakis (R-N.Y.)

Tracey Mann (R-Kan.)

Brian Mast (R-Fla.)

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.)

Lisa McClain (R-Mich.)

Daniel Meuser (R-Pa.)

Carol Miller (R-W.Va.)

Mary Miller (R-Ill.)

Alex Mooney (R-W.Va.)

Barry Moore (R-Ala.)

Markwayne Mullin (R-Okla.)

Greg Murphy (R-N.C.)

Troy Nehls (R-Texas)

Ralph Norman (R-S.C.)

Devin Nunes (R-Calif.)

Jay Obernolte (R-Calif.)

Burgess Owens (R-Utah)

Steven Palazzo (R-Miss.)

Gary Palmer (R-Ala.)

Greg Pence (R-Ind.)

Scott Perry (R-Pa.)

August Pfluger (R-Texas)

Bill Posey (R-Fla.)

Guy Reschenthaler (R-Pa.)

Tom Rice (R-S.C.)

Harold Rogers (R-Ky.)

Mike Rogers (R-Ala.)

John Rose (R-Tenn.)

Matthew Rosendale (R-Mont.)

David Rouzer (R-N.C.)

John Rutherford (R-Fla.)

House Minority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.)

David Schweikert (R-Ariz.)

Pete Sessions (R-Texas)

Adrian Smith (R-Neb.)

Jason Smith (R-Mo.)

Lloyd Smucker (R-Pa.)

Elise Stefanik (R-N.Y.)

Gregory Steube (R-Fla.)

Chris Stewart (R-Utah)

Thomas Tiffany (R-Wis.)

Glenn Thompson (R-Pa.)

William Timmons (R-S.C.)

Jeff Van Drew (R-N.J.)

Beth Van Duyne (R-Texas)

Tim Walberg (R-Mich.)

Jackie Walorski (R-Ind.)

Randy Weber (R-Texas)

Daniel Webster (R-Fla.)

Roger Williams (R-Texas)

Joe Wilson (R-S.C.)

Robert Wittman (R-Va.)

Ron Wright (R-Texas)

Lee Zeldin (R-N.Y.)

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/republicans-overturn-election-results-capitol-insurrection_n_5ffc732fc5b63642b6fdc5d0
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 16 May, 2023 01:26 am
False Equivalence: The Media Bias Nobody is Talking About.

Robert Reich breaks down how the mainstream media draws a false equivalence between the
right and the left and misleads the public about what's really at stake.

The mainstream media has historically tried to balance left and right in its political coverage,
and present what it views as a reasonable center.

That may sound good in theory. But the old politics no longer exists and the former labels “left”
versus “right” are outdated. Today it’s democracy versus authoritarianism, voting rights versus
white supremacy.

There’s no reasonable center between these positions, no justifiable compromise. Equating
them is misleading and dangerous. Don't fall for it.

Published: Aug 12, 2021

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 16 May, 2023 01:47 am
Republican Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell Calls to Cut Social Security, Medicare.

Published: October 16, 2018

Quote:
After instituting a $1.5 trillion tax cut and signing off on a $675 billion budget for the Department of Defense, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Tuesday that the only way to lower the record-high federal deficit would be to cut entitlement programs like Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security.

"It’s disappointing but it’s not a Republican problem," McConnell said of the deficit, which grew 17 percent to $779 billion in fiscal year 2018. McConnell explained to Bloomberg that "it’s a bipartisan problem: Unwillingness to address the real drivers of the debt by doing anything to adjust those programs to the demographics of America in the future." The deficit has increased 77 percent since McConnell became majority leader in 2015.

New Treasury Department analysis on Monday revealed that corporate tax cuts had a significant impact on the deficit this year. Federal revenue rose by 0.04 percent in 2018, a nearly 100 percent decrease last year’s 1.5 percent. In fiscal year 2018, tax receipts on corporate income fell to $205 billion from $297 billion in 2017.

Still, McConnell insisted that the change had nothing to do with a lack of revenue or increased spending and instead was due to entitlement and welfare programs. The debt, he said, was very “disturbing” and driven by “the three big entitlement programs that are very popular, Medicare, Social Security and Medicaid...There’s been a bipartisan reluctance to tackle entitlement changes because of the popularity of those programs. Hopefully, at some point here, we’ll get serious about this.”

President Donald Trump promised to leave Medicare untouched on the campaign trail, but Republican leaders like House Speaker Paul Ryan and Florida Senator Marco Rubio have long indicated their desire to cut entitlement programs to pay for their tax cuts.

"You have got to generate economic growth because growth generates revenue,” Rubio said at a Politico conference late last year. "But you also have to bring spending under control. And not discretionary spending. That isn’t the driver of our debt. The driver of our debt is the structure of Social Security and Medicare for future beneficiaries."

“We're going to have to get back next year at entitlement reform, which is how you tackle the debt and the deficit,” Speaker Ryan said on a conservative radio program around the same time.

Democrats, meanwhile, jumped on McConnell’s admission as proof that Republicans had long planned to cut entitlement spending to fund the tax cuts that largely benefit corporations and wealthy Americans. “The truth comes out! This was their deceptive plan all along,” said Representative Lois Frankel of Florida.

“When Republicans in Congress said their tax cuts to wealthy multinational corporations would pay for themselves, they lied,” wrote Ohio Congressman Tim Ryan on Twitter. “Now, they're going to try to come for hardworking people to foot the bill by slashing Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security. We can't let them.”

A recent Pew poll found that the majority of both Democrats and Republicans thought the rising federal deficit and cost of healthcare were major problems facing the U.S.-- something that Democrats are taking note of and will try to package into their midterm campaign platforms over the next three weeks.

“Every Republican Senate candidate is on the hook for Mitch McConnell’s plan to cut Medicare and Social Security. First it was jeopardizing pre-existing conditions coverage, then it was pursuing an age tax that would charge older Americans more for care, and now it’s targeting the benefits Americans have paid into,” wrote Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee spokesman David Bergstein in a statement. “This platform is disqualifying, and just like taking away coverage for pre-existing conditions, it's exactly what GOP candidates don't want to be talking about weeks before the election.”

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/mitch-mcconnell-calls-to-cut-social-security-medicare/ar-BBOtGyE?ocid=UE13DHP
jespah

Reply Tue 16 May, 2023 08:29 am
@Real Music,
I despise the language of calling these entitlement programs. People paid into these programs; they aren't something for nothing. Seniors and disabled folks use this $$ to pay rent and buy food and medicines (overpriced in the US), not go on junkets to Bali.
thack45

Reply Tue 16 May, 2023 01:19 pm
@jespah,
Gotta love when media just rolls over and accepts politically manipulative terminology. Bravo to the R's on that one, and ditto for "gun rights".
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 16 May, 2023 02:52 pm
@Real Music,
(following)
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2024 01:08 am
@jespah,
Quote:
I despise the language of calling these entitlement programs. People paid into these programs; they aren't something for nothing. Seniors and disabled folks use this $$ to pay rent and buy food and medicines (overpriced in the US), not go on junkets to Bali.

Excellent points Smile
0 Replies