AUSTRALIA - an introduction for tourists

msolga

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 03:24 pm
See what I mean? Shocked :

Sydney braces itself for heatwave
November 30, 2004 - 7:49AM

NSW is bracing itself for extreme heat on Tuesday, with Sydney in for a scorching 42 degrees - the city's hottest ever November day.

The NSW Ambulance Service has urged people - particularly children, the elderly and the sick - to take precautions to ensure they do not fall victim to heat-induced illness.

Firefighters are on high alert as a total fire ban affects the entire state, and power usage is set to soar as householders run air conditioners.

Parents have been put on notice they may need to collect their children from school, and commuters have even been warned that trains may have to reduce their speed in the heat.

And extra life savers will be on duty as thousands of people are expected to converge on Sydney's beaches.

The precautions come as forecasters predict Sydney will swelter under 42 degrees. This temperature would eclipse the hottest Sydney November day on record, which was 41.8 degrees on November 25, 1982.

The high temperatures are caused by a blanket of hot, dry air flowing in from central Australia, the weather bureau said.

A spokeswoman for the Education Department said it was up to each school principal whether to send students home if conditions became unbearable.

Workers were also warned not to put themselves in danger by taking health and safety risks in the extreme weather.

Legal guidelines were in place for working in extreme heat, including minimum breaks linked to the temperature, Unions NSW secretary John Robertson said.

A RailCorp spokesman said CityRail and CountryLink services would operate 10kph slower in all areas once the temperature reached 38 degrees.

NSW Rural Fire Service Commissioner Phil Koperberg says firefighters are on alert as a total fire ban was imposed across the whole of NSW on Tuesday.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 03:45 pm
Oh, just thought I'd let you know, margo. It's raining gently in Melbourne after a sticky day yesterday. Very pleasant! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 07:47 pm
need more rain here!

Unpleasant outside - hot and a hot wind to match!

Thanks to the person who invented air conditioning!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 07:50 pm
You poor things! I think Stilly may have expired in the heat, margo. No sign of him today. How long is this going to last?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 08:00 pm
Hot tomorrow, but then thunderstorms, and cooler to cold over the next cuppla days - 15C Bah!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 08:02 pm
Rain, though?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 11:52 am
....and now winter is moving in.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 06:22 pm
It's trying to, Noddy, but without much success. Sunny skies & 25 C degrees the past few days. Surprised
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 07:09 pm
In the northern hemsphere when winter is slow in starting, winter lingers.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 07:10 pm
The weather god seems extremely confused! Confused
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 07:14 pm
Winter will also linger when it starts early.

Could you have conflicting weather gods instead of a Supreme Deity?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 07:22 pm
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 09:20 am
msolga wrote:
The weather god seems extremely confused! Confused

You've got that right. Last Monday-I was still swimming at the beach. And if it's warm tomorrow, as is forecast, I'll be doing it again. The water is still 22C. I can't remember it ever being this warm for this long.
0 Replies