Are American Islamic Schools Teaching Hate?

JLNobody

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 03:52 pm
truth
Firdaus, your attitude is beautiful. I don't have to accept your version of the Truth to appreciate your sense of religion.
By the way, Christian fundamentalists DO think that their lord NEEDS their adoration. I told one the other day that I could not worship a God that needed my adoration. He answered that that was simply the fact of the matter. Jesus needs for us to believe in Him and Worship him. My Reality is totally indifferent. It is just what is--but I know also that I am IT. That is what I honor most of all, even if there is nothing to gain from it.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 03:58 pm
Quote:
Jesus needs for us to believe in Him and Worship him.

Again Terry Pratchett comes to mind. Gods that aren't believed in fade away.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 04:12 pm
truth
Yes, the belief system needs believers, or it will fade away.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 04:16 pm
the one single most important need of any religion is an audience.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 04:38 pm
Groucho Marx once said:

"I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would accept me as a member."

Seems to me I wouldn't want to worship any god that wanted or needed my worship.
0 Replies

firdaus

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 04:58 pm
JL- I too appreciate your sense of Reality. Fundamentalists from ANY religion have 'extreme', and in my opinion, extremely distorted...views....YIKES!!!
0 Replies

firdaus

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 05:12 pm
Frank said:
Quote:
Seems to me I wouldn't want to worship any god that wanted or needed my worship

Amin to that Frank.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 06:24 pm
truth
Fundamentallists are often touted as people who are willing to DIE for their religion. As I see it, they are willing to KILL for their twisted version of their religion, but also for social reasons, for the status they think they will gain as martyrs.
0 Replies

Suzette

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 08:16 am
Muhammad Farhan wrote:
My dear friends, Islam is not as bad a religion as you are considering it to be. Islam is certainly not a religion preaching hate and intolerance, rather it is the complete opposite. But it has been stated clearly in the Koran that whosoever shall not accept Islam after repeated kind teachings by the Muslim people shall have to face the sword of Islam and would have to die by it. Islam literally means "Peace". No other explanation is needed.

"...stated clearly in the Koran that whosoever shall not accept Islam after repeated kind teachings by the Muslim people shall have to face the sword of Islam and would have to die by it."

and

"...Islam literally means "Peace". No other explanation is needed."

Dear Muhammad Farhan: Would you please reconcile the two snippets I have taken from the first paragraph you posted on the previous page?
0 Replies

Suzette

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 08:18 am
au1929 wrote:
The Moslem religion is based on hate. The hate of everyone who is not a Muslim.

That seems proven true by Muhammad Farhan Question
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 12:36 pm
Quote:
"...stated clearly in the Koran that whosoever shall not accept Islam after repeated kind teachings by the Muslim people shall have to face the sword of Islam and would have to die by it."

Edit: Found where I had covered this (see next post.).
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 12:38 pm
Quote:
the "sword of Islam" in the above comment is the "Final Judgement"at the end of time. It does not mean (as many would have one think) that you will be told to convert or die. Once again, not too different from hard core Christianity, which says that unbelievers will burn.
0 Replies

Suzette

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 04:20 pm
Excellent clarification, hobitbob, and very much appreciated!

I really took the translation of the Koran to mean that living people (infidels) must be killed ASAP. I'm very happy to learn it is actually intended as the same basic Christian idea of the 'passing' from this world to the next.

However, please realize this post is coming from a Secular Humanist, okay? :wink:
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 04:26 pm
I'm an historian of the religious traditions of the later middle ages, and was raised Catholic. I therefore tend to put more faith in human nature than in some mysterious "god" that demands humanity's worship like a lovesick teenager. Wink
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 04:53 pm
Hobitbob
It is not your interpretation of the Koran that is meaningful but that of the practicing Muslims.
The Fundamental Muslims and terrorists interpret the Koran to justify their actions.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 04:55 pm
Just like the fundamentalist christians do. Attempting to imply an entire group is flawed becasue of the actions of a minority is an example of intellectual laziness. Islam is a disputational faith. Put ten students of the Koran in a room, and you will have fifty interperetations. The "average Muslim" has no more plans for "killing the infidels" than a vegetarian has for eating a hot dog! It is small minded folks who decide that the acts of a few are representative of the outlook of the many that tend to insure the violence and hate will never stop. I honestly wonder if that group of people prefers violence and fear beacuse it is an easier path to take than that of curiousity adn understanding.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 05:04 pm
I haven't heard of many Fundamentalist Christian suicide bombers have you.
If there were one or two bombings I might understand but based upon the frequency I have to believe that there is within their religion something that inculcates in it's followers this violence.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 05:14 pm
Eric Rudolph, Tim McVeigh, Terry Nichols,etc.....
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 05:58 pm
Hobitbob
You are trying to balance the thousands of Islamic terrorists against a few nutcases who planted bombs. I am afraid you need a new scale.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 06:07 pm
au1929 wrote:
Hobitbob
You are trying to balance the thousands of Islamic terrorists against a few nutcases who planted bombs. I am afraid you need a new scale.

No, I'm balancing a few hundred Islamic terrorists against millions of peaceful Muslims. Perhaps you should think about Christianity's two millenia of violence and terror. Neither side is blameless.
0 Replies