Are American Islamic Schools Teaching Hate?

Monger

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 11:52 am
I grew up with A BEKA Books and can attest that dyslexia's rundown is accurate.

I understand Beka is mild compared to many Muslim schools.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 02:43 pm
truth
I also agree with Dyslexia's "rundown" of the Bob Jones ideology. As I reported some time ago on another thread, my brother and his wife are graduates of that bastion of narrow mindedness. My dear brother has been trying for years to save my soul, and I have been trying with equal vigor to save his mind. So far, we have both failed.
0 Replies

Kompal

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 10:45 am
huh?
0 Replies

Muhammad Farhan

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 05:19 am
My dear friends, Islam is not as bad a religion as you are considering it to be. Islam is certainly not a religion preaching hate and intolerance, rather it is the complete opposite. But it has been stated clearly in the Koran that whosoever shall not accept Islam after repeated kind teachings by the Muslim people shall have to face the sword of Islam and would have to die by it. Islam literally means "Peace". No other explanation is needed thus.

The religious schools for children do not produce terrorists. It is the underground activities of the Mullahs that do so. Maddrassas (religious schools for Muslims) are not all evil. Here in my country Pakistan these madrassas are a beacon of light for the children and their parents happily enrol them in it. They teach them how to read and understand the Koran and the meaning of their religion. As someone said before, basically all religions preach hate and intolerance, if not directly. In my opinion all minor cults have morphed into these giants that now control people all around the world in seperate groups... groups quarreling and trying to gain supremacy over each other. It is all very stupid if you ask me... if the early man hadn't been so scared of thunder, or lightning or storms or diseases and ailments there would never have had been any need for religion or God for that matter! But still, Islam is much more than just a religion. It is a complete way of life, not an ender of life.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 09:40 am
truth
One of my students, a Muslim, once invited me to the local mosk to experience its religious service. I went and found the people to be warm and welcoming. Noone tried to convert me, only to answer my questions. Now I ask you, Muhammed: what do you mean about unbelievers dying by the Sword of Islam?
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 04:34 pm
Interesting discussion. Obviously, one would wish that all forms of intolerance and hate, whether based on race, nationalism or religion, were eradicated from the earth. It will never be done completely, especially in those nations which are basically theocracies. Even in the US, where concerns over separation of church and state are frequently put forward in public debate, such evils will never die out entirely. But, we have a better chance of marginalizing them here than do the common folk in many countries.

I'm mainly in agreement with my friend c.i. -- it's of the first importance that parents be vigilant regarding their kids' education. But even that is no guarantee. Much depends on what the parents were taught.

Remember the song from South Pacific?

You've got to be taught to hate and fear.
You've got to be taught from year to year.
It's got to be drummed in your dear little ear,
You've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught to be afraid
Of people whose eyes are oddly made,
And people whose skin is a different shade.

You've got to be taught before it's too late,
Before you are six or seven or eight,
To hate all the people your relatives hate.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 04:42 pm
Welcome to A2k Muhammad Farhan!

Re this: " But it has been stated clearly in the Koran that whosoever shall not accept Islam after repeated kind teachings by the Muslim people shall have to face the sword of Islam and would have to die by it. Islam literally means "Peace". No other explanation is needed thus. "

While I know christianity, when allowed secular power, has been a spectacularly bloody religion, I am wondering how literally the average Moslem would take the sword comment - it seems a very aggressive dictate?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 06:30 pm
the "sword of Islam" in the above comment is the "Final Judgement"at the end of time. It does not mean (as many would have one think) that you will be told to convert or die. Rolling Eyes Once again, not too different from hard core Christianity, which says that unbelievers will burn.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 07:44 pm
truth
Thank you SO much for clearing that up, Hobitbob.
0 Replies

firdaus

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 07:00 pm
find out about Islam for yourself
As with all things, what you seek, is what you will find. If you are seeking hate when looking at anything, religion in this case, whether Christianity, Judaism, Islam, etc...you will find it. And if you are seeking peace in religion, you will find that too. Let's face it, 'people' have a tendency of distorting history to their benefit (just look at American History textbook accounts of Native American 'savages', and 'uncivilized' African slaves). What you find does not always reflect Truth. It's important to look deeper....searching not for hatred, or peace....but truth. This cannot be done by reading one article, or be based off of media sources alone. Try, in this case, going to a mosque for Friday prayers, a few different mosques, to see what's really going on...read a good translation of the Qu'ran (Ahmed Ali's translation is good), read web articles about Islam written by "Muslims".....make a friendship with a muslim, or talk with an American convert to Islam to understand why they would convert....read about Sufism....read poetry from Rumi, and Hafiz....and see what Islam is really about.

I am a teacher in an Islamic school....and my top agenda is to teach that God is Mercy and Love, and that as a Muslim, we must respect all of God's creation, from the smallest life forms, in nature, to all people regardless of their beliefs. This is what Islam teaches. Especially since true Islam is submission to God, according to the teachings of Adam, Abraham, Moses, Jesus, and Muhammed....and all of the Prophets He sent to guide us towards Him, and towards Peace, with the same message....it is only us imperfect humans who distort His message.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 08:06 pm
truth
Firdaus, while I am an atheist, I have had the pleasure and honor of going to a local mosque at the invitation of some of my Muslim students. I found the people to be warm and hospitable--and quite pleased with my visit. I agree with you that we should seek to understand the highest values of your religion rather than focus on its distortion by politically motivated Islamists.
0 Replies

firdaus

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 08:37 pm
out of curiousity
JL- It's nice to know about your experience...I'm glad that there are people who can appreciate other people, even if their beliefs differ...and aren't afraid to interact with them. Just out of curiousity....if you don't believe in God, or a Higher Power, Creator, etc....what do you believe?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 08:40 pm
truth
Thanks, I believe in Reality whatever that is. I would put no Gods before it. Just as you Muslims would not put idols or images before Allah.
Peace and well being.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 08:48 pm
Bookmarking for updates on this fascinating thread.
0 Replies

firdaus

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 08:49 pm
Can you explain more? I'm interested in your perspective.... If it's too personal, just tell me....but, I'm just curious...for curiosity sake...that's all.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 09:08 pm
truth
Firdaus, if you look through the thread, The Philosophy of the Self (in the Philosophy section) you will some idea of what my views are in the subject. They are similar to those of two other participants, Twyvel and Fresco
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 07:28 am
Firdaus

If you are interested in what motivates atheists, I am sure you would find agnostic motivation fascinating.

I am an agnostic.

With regard to questions about the Ultimate Reality I can honestly say that I do not know the answers -- and for the most part, there is not enough evidence upon which to make a reasonable guess.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 08:19 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Hakeem Olajuwon < argument to the contrary.
Ali......

Not too sure about "honestly", but they get along.

Was Ali a muslim or a member of the nation of islam? They are two different things.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 08:29 am
firdaus wrote:
Can you explain more? I'm interested in your perspective.... If it's too personal, just tell me....but, I'm just curious...for curiosity sake...that's all.

People make the mistake of assuming that because someone doesn't believe in g-d or a g-d, they are not humble or believe themselves to be g-d like. Basically, to not believe in "a higher power" in the name of a bieng who created earth is simple. It involves trusting your sensory perception, and logic and rationality (and usually academics, the sciences.) There is no need to believe in a g-d or gods, ghosts or spirits, or anything immaterial in order to live a full life. There is no evidence such things exist, but there is evidence about -why- people believe such things exist (which explains why people belive in them, without evidence.) Because you cannot sense in any way a g-d or spirits, and machines or specialized instruments cannot, and there is no pattern of connectedness within the material world pointing to a g-d, it is likely there is not one. Being agnostic, I cannot say for sure there is not - that would require proof - but I am fairly sure, to the extent of my knowledge about the universe - that there is not.

Consider buddhism where they participate in holidays but do not believe in g-d. Like buddhists, I participate in the holidays of the people around me. I am up for celebrating Christmas, Rushushanna, or whatever holiday that is important to those around me. (Although I likely won't choose to participate in Ramadan Wink .)
0 Replies

firdaus

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 02:05 pm
Interesting perspective.....to each their beliefs, and way of life...as long as you're not hurting anybody, you're alright with me. I chose my way of life, and beliefs, and every person has the right to choose their own way of life and beliefs. God does not 'need' us to believe in Him...or for our hearts to see His wonder and proofs all around us....we can each interpret our life, and our world in any way we want.

I chose to be Muslim, after studying and seeking the Truth....from attending mass, church, being completely opposed to organized religions (but living a humble good life), to attending synagogues, temples, and mosques....Christmas, Roshashanna, Yom Kippor, Diwali, Ramadan...etc... I was only seeking Truth. Truth does not divide people.... it embraces everyone.
0 Replies