Wut to wear to a wedding

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 11:13 pm
yaa i thought this was the closest forum cause it has MARRIAGE in it aha..

Ya so heres my question, my partner from work is getting married. Im only invited to the church. So what do i wear, a suit? a shirt with tie? or just a shirt?

by shirt i mean button down dress shirt.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 765 • Replies: 12
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 11:30 pm
It'll be safe to wear a suit and tie even if you're the only one over-dressed.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 11:41 pm
Where (roughly) do you live? Different locales have different dress codes. For instance, in the northern states of the US, people dress up more than in the South.

Where's the wedding taking place? If it's in a traditional church, I'd go for a coat and tie. But there are so many untraditional weddings nowadays.
0 Replies

houzer911

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 11:48 pm
yeaa NY, right outside of NYC in a traditional church

i was leaning towards the suit too cause you know, we are all italian and thats how we roll ahaha

but i just didnt wanna be too over dressed
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 03:50 am
I usually go by the rule: it's better to be overdressed than underdressed.

If you're overdressed, you may still get compliments AND you'll look extra hot against the others. haha-but it's true. Also, in a suit you can always take off the coat and undo a few buttons.

If you're underdressed, you'll feel like a slub or worse (insult somebody).

cheers
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 04:17 am
I agree. A suit is always appropriate. You can always take your suit jacket off, if no one else wears one.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 09:37 am
Yep, wear the suit and tie.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 09:51 am
Let me relate a short personal story. I used to work for Florsheim Shoe Company as a traveling auditor back in the days when we all wore suits at work. When traveling, we were allowed to stay at some of the best hotels in town where the clientele were dressed up to their eyeballs, but I dressed in casual clothes. It didn't affect anybody, cause I was not known to them, and my dress was for comfort - not for work or to impress anybody.

Over the years since those days, I now stay in some nice hotels during my travels, and find that many are now dressing casually even in the best hotels in the world.

The rule of thumb now is; get dressed if I'm attending a wedding or funeral. Otherwise, dress comfortably. It works fine for me!

Usually the wedding invitation will say what the dress code will be if it differs from the norm, and they'll have some theme to go by. If it doesn't, dress up.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 10:32 am
BBB
Take your dressing clues from the women who wear gownless evening straps.

BBB
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 01:26 pm
What I've noticed during the past several decades are men wearing jeans and a sports coat with tie. It seems to work.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 01:59 pm
I say strap a Speak n' Spell around your neck.
0 Replies

dora17

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 05:50 pm
man, now that you say that, I think that might be an appropriate solution to a lot of awkward social situations.
0 Replies

Tenoch

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 11:55 pm
i'd always thought it would be pimp to go to a wedding with a white or off white to light brown suit with no tie. Especially if it's a summer wedding. maybe even some sandals.
0 Replies