Do anyone know of any source that teaches (LITERAL/EXACT WORD) translation of foreign languages?

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2023 05:43 pm
1. Do anyone know of any source that teaches (LITERAL/EXACT WORD) translation of foreign languages?

2. I cannot find any language learning source that teaches (LITERAL/EXACT WORD) translations.

3. Knowing the meaning of a word or a phrase is not the same as knowing the (exact literal) translation.

4. I am referring to words.

5. I am also referring to phrases.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,226 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2023 07:32 pm
The following are some examples of Mandarin Chinese translated into English.

(ni hao) is loosely translated to mean (hello)
(ni hao) exact literal translation means (you good)

(zai jian) is loosely translated to mean (goodbye)
(zai jian) exact literal translation means (again see)

(ni jiao shen me ming zì) is loosely translated to mean (What is your name?)
(ni jiao shen me ming zi) exact literal translation means (You are called what name?)

(wan an) is loosely translated to mean (good night)
(wan an) exact literal translation means (late peace)

I feel that learning the exact literal translation of a foreign language helps me have a better grasp and understanding of learning a language.

Sometimes, I am able find exact literal translation, but most of the time I can only find loosely translated meanings.

Before anyone corrects me for not using the Mandarin tone indicators, my computer keyboard can't type the tone indicators above the words and letters.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2023 02:24 am
@Real Music,
I don't know but if you use a dictionary to translate each word seperately it might help.

I know vernacular is differdnt. In French lapin chaude literally translates to hot rabbit but it is an insulting term directed at women similar to slut.

If you have a specific issue with language let me know and I'll ask my son who is a linguist fluent in many languages.

If you don't want it made public you can always pm me.
0 Replies