Obituary- Death Notice

Montana

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 12:06 pm
As a lot of you already know, my ex died on the 17th of this month (Aug) and I'm having no luck finding any death notices or obits on him on line.
I checked the news paper in the town he died in (Erie, Pennsylvania) and all the papers in Massachusetts where he spent most of his life.
Is it possible that no death notices were placed in any papers?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,368 • Replies: 46
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 12:08 pm
If he were not widely known in his community, and hadn't kept in close touch with his home community, it could be that no one bothered to submit an obituary notice to the newspapes. Do you know of anyone who likely would have taken the responsibility?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 12:12 pm
Obits are not manditory for anyones death.
If anyone close to him at that time didnt want one, then there will not be one printed.

Some times... and only for some funeral homes,
they offer a basic obit notice in the local paper for free to families who use thier services.
This usually isnt found online because posting it online, or allowing a newspaper to add it to thier online version sometimes causes money.
This isnt true 100% of the time.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 12:26 pm
Well, that explains it. His wife is broke, so she had to have him cremated and she can't afford to have any services done at this time.

His sisters are both drug addicts, so they won't bother. His parents are both dead, so there's no one left but us.

I just thought that there would be an automatic death notice placed in the paper.

Boy, how sad is that, when no one cares enough to at least announce someones death.

How much does an obit cost? Is it that expensive?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 12:31 pm
Depends on what is said, where it is posted ( online, other papers , other cities ) how long it is posted and if you include the funeral home in it.
Tacky huh? You include te funeral homes' name and voila! discount. :sigh:

I know here in texas, 99.999999% of funeral homes give you a free 2 line obit when you use thier services. Just enough to say So and So died today. Funeral held at abc park at 2..

they MAY have had that option but it inst posted yet?
Do you know what funeral home they may have used? If so YOU can call them.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 12:38 pm
Montana wrote:
Boy, how sad is that, when no one cares enough to at least announce someones death.

You find in Germany (and most certainly in other European countries as well) only such announcemnts which are paid by the relatives.

More and more, even in our rural region, announcements are only made after the funeral.

And even more often, none is made at all (especially with the increasing number of anonymous funerals).
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 12:53 pm
Wow! This just makes me sad :-(
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 12:56 pm
Montana- Would your son derive some comfort if he put in an obit in the hometown paper?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 01:02 pm
you can do that actually.
i dont know howmuch it would cost.. or if you have to employ a funeral home??

great suggestion Phoenix
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 01:03 pm
shewolfnm - I think that you can order an obit on your own.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 01:05 pm
<nods about Phoenix's great idea>

I think anyone can call in a death notice. It doesn't have to be in his town, it can be in your local paper, Montana. It will let the folks in your community know that Dana has lost his dad.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 01:07 pm
I think that it would help with Dana's closure. If your son wrote the obit, I think that would be very helpful to him.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 01:13 pm
In general the days of free obits are long gone.

Most newspapers require that obits be submitted through an undertaker. The world is full of people with peculiar senses of humor who don't mind spending money on a good joke.

Rarely is the family of the bereaved charged directly by the newspaper. The undertaker pays the paper and passes on the cost of the obit in the general bill.

These days newspapers are permitting considerable lattitude in obituary content. I've seen people lauded for enjoying hunting and fishing; for making wonderful apple pies; and for deriving great pleasure from beloved Spot and Fluffy.

If you feel that Dana deserves a clipping of his father's death, drop into a local Funeral Home and ask to talk to someone about inserting a obituary in your local paper. I don't know about Canadian rates, but here in the States you can buy respectable space for an obituary for less than $75.
(Providing of course that you stick to the facts and avoid speechifying).

Is there a Funeral Home that your family has dealt with over the years?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 01:53 pm
That's a great idea and exactly what I was just researching. I went to our local paper on line and found obit rates, so I think I can do this without a funeral home. If I do need a funeral home, I'm in luck there too because my cousins father in-law owns the funeral home in town.

I think Dana needs that obituary for closer, just like you said, Phoenix.
I'm going to make some calls on Monday and get the ball rolling.

In the mean time, I was also wanting his fathers old friends from Waltham to know and I got a hold of one of them who said she'd tell everyone else.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 02:34 pm
wow, what would I want in my obit if it was 2 lines?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 03:49 pm
Yeah, really!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 03:59 pm
I just talked with my mom about this because my aunt recently had an obit done for my uncle who recently died and I guess she had to provide the name of the funeral home.

This sucks!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 04:09 pm
Doesn't your local paper have an In Memoriam section, Montana?

Your son could write something for that.

this is the online In Memoriam from my hometown paper today.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 04:12 pm
Maybe it was so they could list when/where the services would be held. It won't hurt to call the paper and find out about a death notice for your son's out of town relative where the services are already done and were private.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 04:40 pm
Beth
That's a good idea and I'll look into that.

JB
The problem is that there was no services :-(
0 Replies