Tips on being a good waitress?

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 06:49 am
A wave works. That's what I do, anyway.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 01:08 pm
If I were going to be a waitress for the first time, this is one thing I'd want to know: When you are carrying a tray of food (or just a cup of coffee), look at the path ahead of you, not at the tray. It's common to watch the food you're carrying so as not to spill, and trip over something you'd have seen if you were watching where you're going.
0 Replies

kiesha729

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 03:29 pm
waitressing tips and rules
well, as someone who trains and hires servers for an upscale chain of resorts and restraunts, i'd have to say that there is most definitely a set of do's and don'ts in the upscale service profession. it is a good idea to stick to the simple "rules" just in case you have a guest who is familiar with them. most of the time you will get people who really don't care, but most guests can tell the difference between a well trained, knowledgable server and a poorly trained, new to the job server. serving on the left and clearing from the right is a basic serving rule. serving drinks on the right is also one of them basic rules.. there's so much to say... but i had to say something after reading all the nonsense replies you got.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 03:41 pm
ossobuco wrote:
learn to masticate and swallow slowly...Why would one ask how one is doing when the person is clearly eating away happily...

excellent points osso

aids digestion, and all round customer satisfaction.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 03:52 pm
I was a waiter while in college.

However, since you asked for tips on being a "waitress," I can't help you.

Actually, I pretty much sucked other than being friendly to people. So I can't give any good advice.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 03:58 pm
to be serious if thats possible for a moment

I would say just pay attention to the diners. Dont hassle them, be unobtrusive. Just do your job as efficiently as you can. Dont flirt. Act like a professional.

And dont pour gravy down the back of peoples necks.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 04:55 pm
I went out to dinner with a friend this week at an excellent restaurant. The meal was a delight, with our selections turning out to be both inventive and delicious, quite a rare combination. The waitress was great. The sommelier was terrific. When we couldn't decide on which wine - from this place that has a premier wine cellar - even though we only wanted a glass and were clearly not going to be ordering a $150. bottle, he brought over three samples of wine to choose from. That was very courteous, and a learning experience - I liked all three wines.

My only twinge of concern the whole evening was that when the waitress described the specials, or answered a question I had about the ingredients in the sauce for my main course, she used the word wonderful perhaps two dozen times. I worried about her, wanted to throw her a list of adjectives for study before the next customers showed up. I managed not to. She was a really good waitress, didn't hover, but did notice if we needed something, was friendly but not overly.
She'll do well. I wonder if it was her first week..
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 05:05 pm
Thanks everyone. I think Keisha729 gave the reply I was expecting, and that is apparently how my niece ended up being trained. There really is a sort of code on how to serve (ladies first, the left and right thing), when to remove things, when to ask about quality, how to describe menu items, when to make suggestions etc etc. So far, so good - she even had a $100 tip one night - she swears she was just her usual polite self and only served the food. Like I said, she's a good lookin' girl...

Keisha729, if you would like to post more detail I would be happy to pass on the info.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 07:02 pm
Pleased to hear Keisha is doing well..
0 Replies

toni330

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 03:09 pm
how to be a good waitress {server]
The best advise I can give is treat your table as if, they were a guest in your home, not as a customer.Learning facts about your menu is amust, and up selling is a plus too. Always thank your guest, and if they pay with a credit card you call them by their name as you present their check.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 03:14 pm
Re: how to be a good waitress {server]
toni330 wrote:
The best advise I can give is treat your table as if, they were a guest in your home, not as a customer.Learning facts about your menu is amust, and up selling is a plus too. Always thank your guest, and if they pay with a credit card you call them by their name as you present their check.

If they were a guest in my home I'd tell them to get their own damn ice tea from the fridge, and while you're up, my glass is getting empty.
0 Replies