Tips on being a good waitress?

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:34 pm
My niece just got hired as a waitress in an upscale restaurant near her university. She has never worked as a waitress before and if you ask me- the fact that she is a very pretty girl helped her get the job. Anyway, she asked me if I had any advice on how to be a good waitress. I have had my share of service jobs, but I never waitressed in a nice restaurant. She is smart enough to know not to be rude to customers, but I am sure there is more to the job. Any ideas on what a good waitress should do in order not to get fired?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 34,820 • Replies: 30
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:39 pm
What kind of question is that? Why would she get fired?

Tell her to be nice and to maintain her composure when dealing with problem customers.

Simple as that.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:42 pm
Gus, don't you have any advice about how to wear those little
outfits? I woulda thought you'd be a fountain of knowledge on that subject.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:43 pm
Well if it's that simple, she'll do fine. I always thought there were some secret waitress rules to follow.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:44 pm
Nope, it's all about obsequiousness.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:44 pm
its always intrigued me about waitressing over your way, do they get paid by the hour and get tips as well...or do they only get paid by receiving tips?
how does it work?

on the other hand my advice would be stay courteous, smile and work to the best of her ability.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:45 pm
Green Witch wrote:
Well if it's that simple, she'll do fine. I always thought there were some secret waitress rules to follow.

Probably there is a separate set of rules for pleasing the boss and pleasing the customers.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:52 pm
Tell her to anticipate the customer's needs. If they are eating something salty or spicy, make sure they have enough to drink, if they've just finished dessert then they'll be asking for the check, etc...
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:54 pm
and if they just finished serving Gus, they'll be throwing him up against the wall and frisking him...
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:55 pm
She gets minimum hourly wage plus a share of tips. She was told to expect about $75 a night during the week and easily $150 per night on Fri/Sat.

I seem to recall rules about women being served their plate of food first. Remove plates from over the customers right shoulder - stuff like that.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:55 pm
Stray Cat wrote:
and if they just finished serving Gus, they'll be throwing him up against the wall and frisking him...

Or franticly trying to find clean underwear.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:57 pm
I heard Gus steals the silverware.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:57 pm
Why is Stray Cat picking on me?

What did I ever do to deserve this type of abuse?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:58 pm
Oh great. Now Green Witch steps in.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 09:02 pm
I am well respected in restaurants and I believe I am a fairly good tipper. A good meal served in an exemplary fashion will net the waiter/waitress a comfortable 2% tip.

I have been know to go as hight as 3%, but that's usually during the holiday season.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 09:04 pm
I'm having big fun insulting everybody tonight...this is only the beginning..just wait till kickycan gets on here.....I'm gonna tease and insult till he gets all mad...then I'll tell him I'm just kiddin'

I already started. I went to the Travel site where he had the gall to say he wanted to go to Houston. I called him an idyot and told him Houston's a toilet.

Oh, this is fun!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 09:07 pm
Who has taken possession of your body Stray Cat?
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 09:10 pm
Ya know, Green Witch....I really don't know....but it's kinda fun for a change!!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 09:36 pm
Put your social life behind you, and this applies to the rest of the waitstaff and bussers as well as friends and family. Pay attention to your customers.

About bussers, though, treat them like your livelyhood depends on them.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 09:50 pm
A number of a2kers can give real life commentary on this.

Me, I relate generally to the waitstaff, until they ask me for the third time if I am fine, as I have a mouthful of whatever.

There is something in my personality primed to answer an asked question, so I tend to gulp down whatever it is, to rise from my thoughts to contemplate The Question...

I wish, I wish, I wish, I could learn to masticate and swallow slowly, make them wait, while I considered. But I've never quite been able to do that, pleaser that I am.

Why would one ask how one is doing when the person is clearly eating away happily? how is this a plus point for the restaurant? I can only guess managers teach this stuff.
0 Replies