Sharing draft educational material with clients

Thu 19 Jan, 2023 12:51 am
Hello. I’m a dietitian and I’m setting up my own online counselling business. I’m thinking of offering one-hour sessions with individual clients. During a session, I can communicate with a client or I can work on tasks by myself, such as by creating educational handouts. I want to be the copyright owner of handouts that I create. In my electronic medical record app, I can upload a handout to privately share it with a client.

If I don’t finish creating a handout during one session, a client may want me to share the draft document with them. If my in-text citations and reference list are incomplete, do you think that it would be okay for me to share the draft with them and to call myself the copyright owner of the draft? If yes, do you think that I should include a disclaimer in the draft since the draft would contain information from other authors? What do you think that I should write in the disclaimer? In addition, do you think that I should ask the client to not share the draft with anyone?

I could finish creating the handout in future session(s) with the client.

Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 4,160 • Replies: 2
Topic Closed
No top replies

jespah

Thu 19 Jan, 2023 05:52 am
@Saturn725,
It is against our Terms of Service to give out legal advice, which is what you are asking for.

I will tell you one thing, though. Creation = copyright in the United States. But when you are adding co-creators, you are likely adding complications. And look up whether you would win a court case even if you do own the copyright. Try copyright.gov for info.

Also, consider what the implications are of incomplete materials being shared. Are you so sure they won't be misinterpreted?

Some completely nonlegal advice - why not wait until you are done and share only that, preferably in pdf form, which most people can only view and not alter? Then you have a lot more control over the message and its potential alteration and spread.
Saturn725

Fri 20 Jan, 2023 07:22 pm
@jespah,
Hello jespah. Thank you for your help.
0 Replies