Stitches

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 11:43 pm
i got 6 Stitches in my wrist from a cut. doctor said to go have them removed in 10 days, wound healing good no signs of infection, but i just dont have time to go today is the 10th until like saturday wich it would be the 12th. or even later.

Is there any problems that could arise if i wait up to 18 days or so??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,396 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Foxy1983

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 07:58 am
How long did you wait before you had them outthen Roofingguy?

I had four wounds stitched up on my abdomen and stomach, about 3 in each wound, and after 9 days they were itching and hurt when I moved as they were so tight.

I couldn't have waited that long!
0 Replies

Roofingguy

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 04:25 pm
yea right after i posted this i went to work and what happened is that the stitches started to feel like they were cutting my skin..they started to dig inside....i finished the job and went to the doctor right away all it happened is that the sitches were a little harder to remove they had to dig a little...everything is cool... but is true after a while the string starts cutting your skin..
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 05:15 pm
One can remove ones own stitches, unless the stitches are on your head or back. Use a fresh x-acto knife blade.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 05:21 pm
Shocked Farmerman! The reason you should go have the doctor remove your stitches is for a check up!
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 05:23 pm
yeah I took mine out, only cause I didnt have the time to
back to the Doc.
0 Replies

houzer911

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 01:05 pm
the only thing that could potentially happen is that they will become very uncomfortble and very itchy...its really for your own comfort

And yes, some people do take out their own stiches, but i advise against that. ive taken people to the hospital trying to do it with an exacto knife and cutting themself back open. That plus its just not sanitary, idc if its right out of the package, that doesnt mean its sanitary. An exacto knife isnt made for medical use and therefore isnt put thru particle bombardment to santize.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 04:24 pm
Particle bombardment???? In a doctors office? cmon.
Any reasonably intelligent person with a sanitized x-acto knife and , not on drugs or booze, can extract stitches with the obvious exception of places that cannot be reached.
Ive had more stitches in me than a Persian rug. Removing them is a snap. Carbolic acid (phenol) or isopropyl alcohol and a careful -not-to-touch-the blade approach . Its easy and safe.
Rarely will a doctor do a "checkup" when you go in to have stitches removed. They dont want any more liability of which they can disabuse.
Im not a big physician fan.
0 Replies

Roofingguy

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 12:09 pm
the doc said that he has taken them out yourself... i agree is mainly for the check up ... make sure wound wont re-open and make sure there is no infecion.....
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 12:38 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Shocked Farmerman! The reason you should go have the doctor remove your stitches is for a check up!

ah bella, what are ya, some kinda health nut?

take out the stitches, run the arm under some tap water, good as new.

if it starts to turn red, spit on it.
0 Replies

Foxy1983

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 06:19 pm
My doctor did a checkup when mine were removed.

Inopinion, I would never put stitches in myself, so I'd never take them out myself....
0 Replies

houzer911

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 09:04 pm
not gonna lie, i may sound like a health nut...but i have superglued sum cuts that should have been stitched Smile
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 05:55 pm
Being fairly clumsy/careless from time to time, often quite remote from civilized help, and fortunately having a pretty good familiarity with first aid techniques, I've had occasion to employ, on myself and others, self-stitching, butterfly bandages (I've used a variety of tape for that - friction tape, electricians tape, duct tape, packing tape, masking tape, and actual medical bandage tape; the medical stuff and duct tape work best, though that transparent packing tape does a pretty good job, too), superglue (stings like hell, but it works pretty good if you can staunch the bloodflow well enough and long enought to adequately coat both sides of the wound), and silicon adhesive (that stuff's real rough on body hair - real last-resort material). While I've never done it or seen it myself, safety pins (preferably sterilized, of course) will work too, according to various emergency manuals. When it comes to removing stitches from me, professionally installed or otherwise, I usually do it myself, if they're accessible. I've freed myself from a plaster cast or two also, but that's another deal altogether.

Oh, and don't recommend you try any of this at home, kids Mr. Green

Also, if you're injury-prone, its an excellent idea to stay up to date on your tetanus shots.
0 Replies

ghecko07

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 02:17 pm
stitches in my wrist
how do i care my stitches? can hardly move my wrist in case i bust em open... got them in on friday night, can i clean em or get em wet or what?
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 03:40 pm
I believe those stiches should be kept dry for at least 48 hours if not longer. You should definitely check with the doctor. Calling the office will give you a quick simple answer without the cost of a visit. Some hospitals have free Nurse hotlines for asking these types of questions.
As far as taking out stiches...My mother attempted to take mine out when I was a teen and cut both sides of the knot which embedded a piece of suture under my skin which eventually became infected and worked its way out. So remember, you cut one side of the knot and pull the stich out.
0 Replies