Even in death . . . .

4thtwin

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2022 10:31 am
It's been a while since I've been here and posted anything but I just wanted to ask a question.

On 11/28 my nephew, the one who lives with his dad at our parent's house, committed suicide. He hung himself in our parent's back yard so we have been dealing with that. My brother and his 1st ex wife didn't get along at all. So much so until my nephew had 2 services. One by my brother and one by his mom. I mean, they couldn't even come together long enough to just have one funeral. My brother had made the decision to have him cremated and just have a memorial service whereas his mom wanted him to have a viewing. From what I was told my nephew had told his dad that he didn't want a viewing for people to come look at him in a box. That's why my brother decided to have him cremated. But here's the think. He and his first wife didn't speak and his second wife blocked him from calling her at all. On the day of the incident we were discussing with him as far as insurance and what not. My brother had a $15000 policy on him, which in today's world isn't much to bury anyone. A day or so later we found out that my nephew's mom had paid for everything, cremation and all. And she was planning to have a viewing for him in a casket. My brother was against that so he planned a memorial service for our side of the family the following Sat and his mom planned the viewing the next Sunday for her family. From what we were told by someone at the funeral home she dressed him up in a suit and only about 5 people showed up. My nephew was not a suit wearing person. He didn't own any at all. And my nephew lived with my brother for at least the past 15+ years. He didn't really get along with his mom or her side of the family.

Anyway, earlier this week the funeral home did the cremation, and my brother bought a few small urns to divide his ashes up into to give to his mom, his maternal grandmother, he was going to keep one, and I think he was going to sprinkle some of them at my parent's house. We just got word that his mom went to the funeral home today and picked up ALL his ashes. I guess technically since she paid for everything she has a right to all the ashes but given that he didn't live with her for a number of years and he really didn't care for his mother you would think she would at least share some of the ashes with my brother. Given that my brother did have a little insurance policy on him I don't think that check has come in yet so what is his recourse at this point? In order to get some of the ashes would he have to sue his ex-wife for them or what? Or does he just chalk this up as a loss since he didn't pay for anything? I hate to see people fighting over the death of a loved one namely a child but this is the way these two have been dealing with each other since they got divorced.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated at this time.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 774 • Replies: 3
No top replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2022 06:34 pm
This was a terrible time for involved. It is best to accept it and move on, understanding that there is no way to change anything and no time to make your mother upset with a detailed list of where she went wrong. Get over it, remember your nephew and get on with your life.

My condolences for the loss of a family member you thought of with such affection and love.
4thtwin

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2022 07:22 am
@bobsal u1553115,
And even now the mom is still stirring the pot. She has contacted a cemetery several hundred miles away where she grew up and wants to have our nephew's ashes buried there closer to her family. But she doesn't have the money to open and close the grave by the cemetery so she wants my brother to pay half the cost. So if that were to happen his family here, where he grew up, wouldn't be able to go visit his grave whereas if she buries him there, no one knows him and probably wouldn't go visit the grave. My sister thinks that since she knew her son didn't care for her she's probably already gotten rid of the ashes. I would hope not. My brother was willing to divide the ashes with her but she is refusing to do the same with him.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2022 10:04 am
@4thtwin,
Mom is having a tough time over this. She needs kid glove treatment without caving into her unreasonable, borderline bizarre requests. The one thing your brother needs to do is to gently decline to even consider moving those poor, sad remains. He is qualified to tell her "no" because "it means more to me to have my son at rest and resting near me, his dad."

He tells her once and gently refuses to discuss it further. And refuses to let this "controversy" go on with his contribution. No recrimination, no coulda-shoulda-wouldas.

Try not to be dragged into this any further than a stock, "I support my brother in his decisions regarding his children generally and his son in particular."

I hope you all, including mom, can derive some peace from all of this and the controversy ends with as little hurt as possible.
0 Replies