Worried about transporting my dog overseas--any suggestions?

sagar11

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 12:25 pm
Hello everyone! I have a very hyper terrier that I got from a pound. Recently I moved to an apartment, bec of school, that is much smaller and much more expensive than the place I was in before. For those and a few other reasons, I have decided to send my dog to my family in India. This way I know that he will be looked after (and probably spoiled silly).

I was wondering if anyone else has sent their pet overseas? I am apprehensive because I have heard that some cargo handlers are negligent of pets. I have also heard of pets being injured because of overheating and pressure in the cabin. At the same time, I have known a couple of people who have brought their pets over from other countries without complaints about how they were handled.

I guess I am just worried...especially because the flight to Delhi is a very long one. Does anyone know of airline companies that have had remarkably good (or bad) reputations regarding transporting pets? Also, since I have never done this before, I welcome any other tips and suggestions about things to look out for.

Thanks!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 6,827 • Replies: 14
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 12:46 pm
Sagar II
Welcome Sagar II to A2K, glad to have you here.

I don't know in which country you live. But I found three articles that might be helpful. One deals with animal quarantine requirements in a new country. The second deals with the requirements for transporting human assistant dogs, which is not your case, but interesting none the less. The third deals with shipping dogs, which might be the most helpful to you.

http://www.iaadp.org/british.html

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:Z2waeevb-wwJ:www.washingtonwatchdog.org/documents/cfr/title42/part71.html+risk+to+dogs+transported+by+airplane&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

http://www.briardsbriards.com/shipping_puppies.htm

BBB
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 01:00 pm
Do you have a local travel agent who handles your air tickets? They can be very helpful about shipping pets.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 01:05 pm
Noddy
Noddy24 wrote:
Do you have a local travel agent who handles your air tickets? They can be very helpful about shipping pets.

Good idea, Noddy, I hadn't thought of your excellent tip.

BBB
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 02:06 pm
BBB--

Thanks for the kind words.
0 Replies

sagar11

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 03:39 pm
Thank you for your help. I am in Connecticut, and will probably board him on a plane in NY or Boston. Unfortunately I don't have a travel agent.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 05:04 pm
Sagar
sagar11 wrote:
Thank you for your help. I am in Connecticut, and will probably board him on a plane in NY or Boston. Unfortunately I don't have a travel agent.

Be sure to check if there are any animal quarantine requirements in India.

BBB
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 05:10 pm
sagar--

If you don't have a travel agent, pick one out of the telephone book and drop in. They will get a commission on your dog's ticket and will be glad to help. If they aren't interested in your plight, talk to another travel agent.
0 Replies

abrafter

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 04:22 am
transporting dogs
I have the opposite problem--two dogs, adopted off the streets of India, are going back to the US. They don't like cages and will be locked up for 25 hours, minus a couple hours in Germany. Any suggestions on getting them ready, any type of drugs, etc. that might help.

We have seven weeks, and I have no idea hjow to prepare them for what will be a very frightening experience.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 01:28 pm
Talk to your travel agent.

Also before you take your dogs to the airport, try to talk to someone in cargo handling about shipping their crates next to each other.

Most baggage people that I've encountered are animal lovers and anxious that pets have as little stress as possible.
0 Replies

sagar11

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 04:47 pm
Thanks again for your help. I am making flight arrangements for my dog, and our vet thinks he will be fine, though probably somewhat restless during the latter part of the trip. I'm sure I will be anxious in any case until he reaches IGI airport and is with my parents.

abrafter--
All I can think of is to try and get them used to the cages, including sleeping in the cages, by putting treats and toys in there with them.

You probably should talk to a vet about sedating them for the trip. I have heard that it can be harmful, but my vet didn't seem to think so (even though she doesn't think that my dog will require any sedatives). Maybe it depends on the dogs' health? Also, some airlines refuse to board sedated animals, or at least require something official from the vet saying that the animal needs to be sedated.

I'm so glad to hear you are adopting the dogs from India. I adopted one when I used to live in Delhi as a child, and still go around feeding the stray dogs biscuits when I am there.
0 Replies

tizbee

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 10:01 am
Pet transport from India
I was reading the thread on pets traveling overseas, and noticed it was dated some time ago. If anyone can tell me how their experiences ended up going, i would appreciate it. My husband is Indian, and while I was there to be married, we ended up adopting a 'street dog' (or did he adopt us??!) I will be going to India next week, and my husband will be returning with me. We want to bring Papu (our dog) with us, but I am having a very difficult time getting any info from British Air on concrete steps i need to take. Lots of info printed on the web, but getting actual reservations made via cargo has proved quite an obstacle. Can anyone help guide me?? We will be flying out of Bombay, to Boston via Heathrow.

Thanks!
0 Replies

sariwynn

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 08:05 pm
@sagar11,
call the USDA in your state. you 'll need shots, and a VS health certificate so the airline can take your dog into customs. first your vet needs to give you a "Certificate of Health" after he gives shots and gives you both rabies and all other proof of shots
0 Replies

sariwynn

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 08:06 pm
@sagar11,
hi! get all shots from your vet and the copies/proof of them. Get also a health certificate from him. Go to the USDA in yoiur city (call first) find out how to get a VS health certificate for exporting a dog to India. good luck!
sari
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 08:08 pm
I know this thread is old, but because people are landing here:

Check with your airline well in advance. They have rules about how many total animals may travel on the plane (and the limit is in the low single-digits usually) and you should make sure that your flight meets their requirements ahead of time.
0 Replies