Public Works Disorganized and Dangerous?

littlek

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 07:44 pm
At around 8:30 pm, my housemate found a note on the door saying that water would be shut off from 9 pm to 5 am. For an emergency. WTF? If it was an emergency, they wouldn't have gotten messages out at all. Since it was planned, in a basic way, at least, why couldn't they have given us a bit more notice? As it was, one housemate got a shower (not this one) - the other didn't get to do laundry she'd planned to do. Those two (good housemates) filled pots and pitchers with tap water until 8:55 when the water was shut off.

We have had shite like this happening all the time. Power gets cut off for 3 hours at a time. Man hole covers become electrified disks which kill and zap dogs walked by children. There have been several man hole explosions due to fires caused by faulty wiring - the iron man hole covers shoot up and flames burst forth.

Is this normal? Does this happen in NYC? LA? SF? Paris?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 874 • Replies: 17
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 07:46 pm
I would say that would be more characteristic in the big cities of the East, since they were built much earlier and have so much decaying crap underground.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 07:47 pm
Good point, Gussie poo.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 07:49 pm
Electric manhole covers! What won't they think of next?

Ya know, public works has become almost as popular an oxymoron as microsoft works.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 07:53 pm
I saw a guy lift a aluminum ladder out of a manhole one time and hit the power lines. Actually, I came upon the scene shortly after it happened. The guy was still smoldering, stomach ruptured, charred intestines spilling out, eyeballs virtually vaporized.

I could only utter one word... "Damn"
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 07:53 pm
Jeeez!!!! That's terrible!
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 07:55 pm
I believe it's all part of a vast Teddy Kennedy conspiracy to hide the fact that he's visiting the local pubs again. Beyond that the electrical zapping may be related to the rough winters you and I have up here in the northern areas. You may have road salt going underground eating into wires and water pipes and the combination of steam and electric does its job. As to New York let me mention Jodie Lane Here's the website:JodieLaneProject.org She was out walking her dogs one winter night and lost her life due to bad wiring. It was later revealed Con Edison, the New York power company had used store bought tape instead of proper grade electrical tape to secure wires not only where Ms.Lane was killed but in many other places as well.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 08:05 pm
Re: Public Works Disorganized and Dangerous?
littlek wrote:
Is this normal? Does this happen in NYC? LA? SF? Paris?

Nope. Just Boston.

Twisted Evil
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 08:10 pm
I wonder if littlek has showered yet?

Let's hope so.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 08:14 pm
I haven't showered, that'll have to wait until morning.

So, I walked outside and saw that our nearest fire hydrant was opened fully and spewing water into the gutter. There are no work vehicles around. No flashing yellow lights down the road. Just a gutter full of perfectly good, rushing water.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 08:15 pm
There's your chance for a shower
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 08:17 pm
I was just telling my housemate that I might sponge bath out there.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 08:20 pm
Pictures?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 08:23 pm
hehehehe....

Good thing it's a darkish night.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 08:29 pm
littlek wrote:
I haven't showered, that'll have to wait until morning.

So, I walked outside and saw that our nearest fire hydrant was opened fully and spewing water into the gutter. There are no work vehicles around. No flashing yellow lights down the road. Just a gutter full of perfectly good, rushing water.

Aha! Littlek discovers the emergency.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 08:29 pm
Re: Public Works Disorganized and Dangerous?
littlek wrote:
Does this happen in NYC?

All the time. At least you got a notice. This kind of **** has happened to me many times, and most times I would just wake up to find out that the water wasn't on, or the heat wasn't on, or the goddammed electricity wasn't on...consider yourself lucky.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 07:40 pm
Lucky? We get the same **** here. ut, it's always the city's fault. Is it sometimes your apt building at fault?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 08:05 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I saw a guy lift a aluminum ladder out of a manhole one time and hit the power lines. Actually, I came upon the scene shortly after it happened. The guy was still smoldering, stomach ruptured, charred intestines spilling out, eyeballs virtually vaporized.

I could only utter one word... "Damn"
I saw (I didn't see) a young laborer stick his arm in a cement mixer to help mix it and it ripped his arm off. Somebody should start a thread called "I seen me an industrial accident". littlek, By my experience this doesn't happen in So. Cal.
0 Replies