Starting a thread to capture interesting stories from last night's US election
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 12 • Views: 3,650 • Replies: 66

engineer

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 08:06 am
@engineer,
Hardline, conservative firebrand Boebert is in a tough race in Colorado. She's behind right now, but there are still votes to count.

Quote:
Hardline conservative Rep. Lauren Boebert is facing a tougher-than-expected reelection race, with her Democratic challenger, Adam Frisch, holding a small lead all evening.

Boebert went into the race in a strong position. Redistricting solidified the 3rd congressional district’s red lean, with a 9-point advantage for Republicans. And unlike most of the Colorado delegation, she had the advantage of national name recognition and about $2 million in campaign cash.

Talking to her supporters Tuesday evening, Boebert said she was still waiting on “same day voting ballots” to be counted.

“We know that a lot of Republicans have waited for today to vote,” she said. “They're doing that in Mesa County. They're doing it all over Colorado's third district.”

Still, while many votes remain to be counted, of those that have been tallied, she has been underperforming in many counties, compared to the 2020 results.

Colorado Democratic Party Chair Morgan Carroll said Frisch has worked hard to build “a coalition of normal” across party lines in the district.

“He has specifically courted all normal Republicans on the Western Slope, aggressively gone after the unaffiliated vote, which is the majority vote [in that district], and he reached out to the Democratic base vote early,” she said, explaining Frisch’s slim lead in the race.

Boebert herself came to the office after scoring a surprise upset against Republican incumbent Scott Tipton in the 2020 primary. But her first term in Congress has been continually marked by controversy. Shortly after arriving in Washington, D.C., she released a video saying she’d carry a gun at the Capitol. On January 6th, 2021, she tweeted Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s location as a mob was invading the capitol, and later joined objections to the certification of the 2020 presidential election results. More recently she heckled President Joe Biden during the state of the Union address.

Democrats tried to have her removed from her committees after she suggested Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar was a terrorist.

Meanwhile, Frisch, a former Aspen City Council member, has run as a relatively conservative Democrat and has barnstormed all across the district to make his centrist pitch.

Mesa County Commissioner and former congressman Scott McInnis said voters in the district expect their representative to deliver. “I think patience runs out pretty quickly… And so if the congressperson from this district did not deliver, you know, they're gonna have to be held accountable.”

While registered Republicans outnumbered registered Democrats in the third district, unaffiliated voters are the largest bloc. According to the recent state numbers, about 44 percent of active voters in the district were registered unaffiliated, while 23.5 percent were registered Democrats and 34.4 percent were registered Republicans
engineer

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 08:13 am
@engineer,
The Pennsylvania Senate race has been called for John Fetterman, flipping a seat for the Democrats.

Mehmet Oz, the Republican candidate was known for being a respected heart surgeon but changed careers to promote diet fads. In 2015, over a thousand doctors called on him to resign his position at Columbia due to pushing bogus health claims for supplements. The Democrat, Fetterman, suffered a stroke before the Democratic primary and still has some impairment, so the Oz campaign spent the last month of the campaign making fun of him in campaign ads. Oz also really lives in NJ which Pennsylvania voters didn't seem to like. The Republicans had a well-regarded candidate in the primary who likely would have won the general, but Trump stepped in and endorsed Oz allowing him to win the primary by a few hundred votes.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 08:17 am
DeSantis leads a red wave in Florida.

Quote:
As ballots continue to be tallied, DeSantis supporters and campaign insiders hoped he would win bragging rights by exceeding Jeb Bush’s historic margin in 2002, when Bush secured re-election as governor by 12.8 percentage points. With 92% of the vote tally reported, DeSantis appeared to be well on his way with more than a 19-point edge over Crist.

DeSantis also might become the first Republican gubernatorial candidate since Bush to win Miami-Dade, the state’s largest county, which also has its largest Hispanic population and was once considered a Democratic bastion. With 8% of the vote yet to be counted, he led there by more than 11 points.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 08:33 am
In Georgia, the Senate race between Democratic Sen. Raphael Warnock and Republican Herschel Walker will likely go to a runoff, in a race that shows that party matters far, far more than the quality of the candidate. Expand the exit polling data at this link. Only 2% of Democrats voted for Walker, only 4% of Republicans voted for Warnock. White born-again or evangelical Christians voted against the Christian pastor and for the womanizing, abusive, abortion loving Walker by an 88% to 11% margin. People who cited abortion and gun policy as the most important issues for them broke Democratic, those citing immigration and inflation broke Republican.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 09:31 am
Reading along.
Hoping I’ll never again hear of Boebert antics or comments.
Wondering if Oprah’s last minute endorsement of Fetterman weighed in.
jcboy

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 09:35 am
I'm thrilled that nut job Lauren Boebert lost Colorado. Razz
engineer

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 09:52 am
@jcboy,
As much as I would like to start celebrating, there are still votes from predominately red areas still to report. NYT still shows the race as leaning Boebert.
jcboy

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 09:56 am
@engineer,
I may have to shoot myself in the foot if she wins Razz
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
jcboy

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 10:52 am
I decided that I REALLY like John Fetterman. After hearing his acceptance speech, it was genuine, it was off the cuff and you can tell he was still unsure that it was real. This guy is always waiting for the other shoe to drop and I find that relatable. I think it's also what makes for a good leader!

But more so, I now understand what a creepy, manipulative, sleezeball Mehmet Oz was throughout that campaign. He said that Fetterman was "wearing a costume" to try to "blend in" with "hard working people". Who imagines that weirdness? It's like he's trying to convince his cult that Fetterman is an inhuman, skin-shedding, extraterrestrial or something.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 11:39 am
@jcboy,
I'm reminded of the alligator statue in the space between John Oliver and Mehmet Oz' studios , giving Oz the finger.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EaG08OMXgAARe92.jpg
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 12:29 pm
@engineer,
She lost.
engineer

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 01:04 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Did someone call it? ABC news is showing a difference of 2000 votes with 90% of the vote counted.
farmerman

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 01:20 pm
@engineer,
People of the TRUMPIST leaning all hadd "OZ" igns on their patur fnces around here. I got 3 OZ signs and arranged them by rotating them and posting them on a pastur fence,

With a little paper cutter work and repasting,They now read :NO ON OZ" all the lettaers in hi nam were same pitch an size.
Memmet can now go back to Georgia or NJ and push his crackpot medications on the interweb.

most of TRUNP pix wre not uccessful. May Trump stay nicely in my rear view mirror. Im a more financially concervativ DEM but a crazy lieral one w hen it comes to environment, civil rights, abortion rights, and climate controls and gun chaos.

may Mr Trump enoy a life in a orange suit
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 03:48 pm
@engineer,
Saw it on my smartphone newsfeed.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 03:50 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
may Mr Trump enoy a life in a orange suit

And may he be carried out feet first.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 03:56 pm
After hearing Quinton Lucas, mayor of Kansas City, MO, speak cogently and authoritatively on NPR this morning about Missouri state voters passing a state constitutional ballot measure requiring Kansas City to spend more on police, I think he'd be a great candidate for president. As he put it, the measure which was put up for vote throughout the state in reaction to the defund the police movement disenfranchises KC voters making the city akin to a colony and will spark litigation in regard to the question of equal protection rights for KCans who rejected the measure. He went on to discuss crime and the issue of the critical lack of firearm regulation in the face of irresponsible arms bearing laws.

https://www.npr.org/player/embed/1135488182/1135500961
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 04:51 pm
As predicted, trump is attempting to overshadow DeSantis' huge win by bragging on Truth Social that he got 1.1 million more votes in Florida in 2020 than DeSantis got in 2022.

Florida friends, it's absolutely ******* embarrassing how easily DeSantis and Rubio won. Also embarrassing that both Hillsborough (Tampa) and Pinellas (St. Pete/Clearwater) counties voted Republican. But there's a silver lining! DeSantis will absolutely run for President in 2024 so he'll only be governor for 2 years!
jcboy

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 04:56 pm
@jcboy,
And on another note, Stacey Abrams congratulated Brian Kemp in her concession speech.
Governor Brian Kemp, for his part, congratulated himself and then insulted Abrams, her voters, her donors and then awkwardly took aim at Oprah Winfrey as an afterthought. Then he went so far as to say that he "saved Georgia" from her clutches.

Brian Kemp has no class.
0 Replies