mixed marriage

safinaz

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 01:31 pm
what do u thing about the mixed marrige?
I mean a wife from a country and a husband from another country...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 711 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 01:40 pm
There are so many variables, that I could not possibly give you a blanket answer. A lot has to do with the personalities of the two people.

Another factor is how close are the cultures of the two countries? Does the couple speak the same language? Are they both familiar with the customs and mores of the two countries?

Do both parties have similar expectations of the role that is expected of each of them in the marriage? Are they in agreement?

Marriage is a lot of hard work, at best. If people are very dissimilar, it makes it more difficult. But with patience and love, a couple from very different backgrounds CAN have a successful marriage.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 01:47 pm
Take my parents...

please...

no, my dad's from Austria and my mom's from Australia and they have a very successful 55 year marriage. They did have some similarities that were important like political and cultural affiliations and there were some rough times...but like Phoenix states..patience and love...there's no substitute in marriage.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 01:58 am
In this day and age, it is even less of an issue than it was before.
I think the other posts brought up good points.
Different country, different race, different culture, different language................

whatever.
Sex and Love know no boundaries. The rest follows:)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 02:03 am
I totally agree with flushd's response: I think, in these modern times there are no differences between two people who love each other.
0 Replies

vk33

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 07:23 am
I agree with the above as well
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 07:25 am
A lot probably depends on how different the two cultures are, but in general I agree with all of the above.

My husband happens to be from a different country. We make quite a go of it and have survived the 7 year itch. So far so good.

Kids throw a few interesting issues in, but maybe that's another topic.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 07:36 am
I think Walter's being terribly optimistic. Cultural differences can make a relationship a lot more fraught with misunderstandings, disagreements etc. The more different the cultures are, the more obstacles the differences can throw in your way.

Not that its necessarily doomed or anything, but to pretend that it doesnt weigh in is a bit naive. Hell, I had intercultural problems with A., and she was just American. When I see the sometimes unexpected cultural 'translation' problems friends of mine encountered with partners from Morocco, Surinam - it can really throw a wrench in things.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 10:53 am
My wife is from the Rhineland, I'm from Westphalia. :wink:

I agree that I was optimistic, but like the both of us work on the different problems others can do it, too ...
0 Replies