Your Earliest Memories

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2022 07:04 am
Your Earliest Memories

A few of mine:
I can remember my first day at school. I was crying my eyes out when my mum took me in there. A teacher lead me away to a large cupboard full of toys. I soon shut up and settled down.

Also remembering sitting on a potty in the upstairs landing. A couple of gas lights on the wall were flickering away. I was mesmerised looking at them.

Seeing my first ever snake.. Well, it was a worm I was later told but it scared me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 1,408 • Replies: 25

jespah

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2022 03:50 pm
@Bubbles66,
I have a memory of being in the high chair so what was I, three?

My mother fed me cereal with milk and there was milk left over. Being the thrifty gal she is, she poured it into a red plastic cup for me to drink. I saw the bits of cereal floating in the cup and was squicked out enough that I tossed the cup across the room.

I still don't eat cereal with milk.

I also remember floors and carpeting (I was a withdrawn child), like the black and pink linoleum at nursery school and a light blue (my mom has said it was actually green) in the first house I lived in, which we moved out of when I was five. It was a split level and I had this kind of fishing game where I had a pole with a magnet on the end and a bunch of metal fish. used to lean over the stairs and unwind the fishing line.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2022 04:12 pm
I once asked an uncle what sort of kid I was. He answered, "You were a mean little ****." I recall him taking me to the movies a few times. I also remember running up when he lay on a couch reading a comic book; I grabbed the book away and ripped it to shreds.

I recall being very small, running on concrete, tumbling head over heels and getting right back up and continuing to run. As I came up and kept moving I felt some sort of cognition as of the senses awakening to a new level. I felt I had achieved something significant that made me a more complete individual.
farmerman

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2022 04:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
Iwas about 3 and st the kitchen curtains afire, I ran into the living room while the room began to smoke andshoot fllames.

I was iin my crib and was playing with a big wolf spider(I only knw it was a spider)
My mom narly collapsed

I had dreams of a ifferent life when I was in my crib. I think Ino longer usd a crib after I larnt to walk. My dad was in Korea an I slept with a cousin who was 8 years older than I was. e used to draw picturs of what an A bomb would do to our town of Emmaus, where my cousin an I were being raided by our grandparents, That was whn I was btween 2 and 3. We fished for rats by taking cheese ona saft y pin tied to Coates and Clarke thread.

we would drop the baited hook through the fire grate an wait, e actuall caught one (mostly it was my cousin. ) It wasnt actually a rat but my cousins hamstr,His name was chunky. .
0 Replies

NealNealNeal

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2022 04:51 pm
@Bubbles66,
I had a sister who was 12 years older than me. She loved to listen to music. When I was 2 years old my father slipped on a record that was left on the floor. All my sister's albums were thrown away.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2022 01:35 pm
I remember when we went to our house which was being built. A workman was laying linoleum on the kitchen floor. He gave me some. I was two.

I also have an earlier memory. Before the house, we lived in an apartment. We were ready to move, and the rugs were rolled up in front of the window. I stood on the rug, and peered out the window.

I have another memory near my apartment house. I was in a carriage, and my aunt was wheeling me around.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2022 02:36 pm
I remember this recurring dream I used to have about being in warm dark water and I was able to breathe while submerged. It was very cozy, not scary at all, and I've wondered if it might have been some recollection of an existence in utero. I remember having my diaper changed. I remember walking between my mother and another woman holding each of their hands on a street in the converted army base that was used for housing G.I.s who'd returned from the war. I remember seeing the movie Bwana Devil.
Mame

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2022 02:44 pm
When I was 2 and my older sister was 3, we were in some kind of longterm daycare or nursery because my mom was having her 4th child. I was in one crib, my sister in another which was perpendicular to mine. We were the only ones in the room. There wasn't anything to play with - we were just plopped in there. I don't know how long we were there, I just remember this one time looking over at her as if to say, "What are we doing here? Why isn't someone coming?" And she looked back as if to say, "Beats me."
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2022 03:25 pm
@Mame,
Makes me think of when I was four - Mom put me in a day care so she could go to work. I was put through the front door and as quick as the lady released me I ran through the back door and went over the chain link fence to catch Mom before she could get away. I bet they started closing that door.
0 Replies

NealNealNeal

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2022 06:31 pm
@hightor,
Hightor,
Do you realize that you made an argument for Pro-Life?
hightor

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2022 06:45 pm
@NealNealNeal,
NealNealNeal,
I only realize that you misconstrue it as such.

NealNealNeal

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2022 07:42 pm
@hightor,
So then:
You remember not being a person? 🙂
hingehead

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2022 10:58 pm
I can remember my brother being in his crib, with a string of pink and blue plastic horses strung above it - and the garage we lived in at the time. He was born 17 days short of 2 years after me so, I would have just turned two.

I call it a garage, but it was just a three room fibro dwelling dad built on outer suburban block they'd bought. All the beds in one room, dining/kitchen in another and bathroom/laundry in the last. We lived there while dad built the house we would eventually live in (it took four years) - and the garage became an actual garage.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2022 11:07 pm
@hingehead,
When I was five we moved into a house just like that while my step father set to building us a house to live in. Only thing, his alcoholism took over and he didn't finish the house.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2022 02:29 am
@NealNealNeal,
No, I remember dreaming as a person. Dreams have a tenuous relation to reality.
0 Replies

Bubbles66

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2022 06:03 am
@Bubbles66,
Just after this photo was taken, me in the middle little diddydot Laughing with my two cousins. They kept hold of my hands to swing me around. I fell flat on my face when they stood me up again. I remember it happening, although wondering now if maybe just remembering being told about it.

https://i.imgur.com/wg5BulD.jpg
Bubbles66

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2022 06:06 am
@Bubbles66,
Just another memory from when I was about 6 or 7.
I had use of a three wheel tricycle. I tied my teddy to the seat, then I grabbed the bar that divided the back wheels to then run fast pushing it, but my hair got caught in the trike chain, oh my word I screamed like nothing on earth. My mum had to get some scissors to cut my hair from the chain. Shocked
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2022 07:02 am
I remember being just a year or two old and having a strange woman give me a bath because my parents were going out for the evening. I saw my parents go past me in my bath in their fancy clothes as they left.
0 Replies

NealNealNeal

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2022 09:56 am
@hingehead,
I am surprised that people built their own home. Where did you live?
farmerman

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2022 10:39 am
My earliest memories with farm animals was at my uncle's farm where he raised pigs (AMONG OTHER LIVESTOCK)
I as about 9 or 10 and wandered into the farrowing ops building (he hhad about 50 sows .I went into a sows to get a ppiglet to show Uncle Stash. H hollered to put it back nd get the hellout (Its was a duroc hog where the finished pigs were sold to upscale resturants in Boton and other cities. Sows can run like the win but th cannot jump(That is why the pig fences are usually electified and means more to keep the sows from rooting their ways out. I made it to the fence, dropped the piglet and ent through the elcteric barrir. The sow mad it to the fence and stopped short.Little piggy as on opposit side. I couldnt catch it but uncl Wladz, (for whom I as named) got it and got it nearer the farrowing barnr.He released the piglet who tore ass back to mama 's arena. . Learnd a lsson. Member the movie where Anthony Hopkins turned the boars after his enemy who was a crippled ol man?? Pigs are rarely nice if they re market raised. Same thing with Durocs, they all think they are black Forest deinizens.
0 Replies