Your Earliest Memories

hingehead

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2022 08:51 pm
@NealNealNeal,
Dad was a carpenter by trade. We lived in Liverpool, the outer western suburbs of Sydney (Australia)- right on the then edge of the metropolitan area. Back then you didn't need to be licenced to build a house.

Just a couple of years after the house was finished he was a licensed builder, working for himself. You can still see the house (and garage) on Google Street View.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2022 03:45 am
My earliest memory was a first-grade experience. We (all the kids in the class) were lined up for some reason…and each of us had an 8 x 5 card in hand with some info our parents had filled out. I was a restless kid…and I remember putting the card in the slot of a desk that I was standing next to. Somehow, I let it go…and it dropped through.

I almost **** my pants. I was frightened that I had lost the card my mother had so adamantly mentioned that I treat with care. The teacher needed it. I started to cry.

The kid behind me just raised the desk top and handed me my card back…looking at me as though I were a cretin. How on Earth did he know that the desk top raised?

First day in school and I was a screw up. The memory was burned into my mind forever.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/5d/d5/6f/5dd56fcc5a9f061019c8f98c90f827b0.jpg
hightor

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2022 04:48 am
@Frank Apisa,
I remember those metal desks with the ink wells and attached seats – and the accumulated graffiti scratched into the oak desktops.
Mame

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2022 10:02 am
@hightor,
We sat in those, too. Plus I remember the pen we were given - it was long and skinny with a bulbous end where the ballpoint nib was. We only got those in 3rd grade when we were taught to write in ink. All supplies were provided in those days. I don't think they teach penmanship anymore.
0 Replies

NealNealNeal

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2022 10:03 am
@Frank Apisa,
You are not a "screw up".
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2022 09:39 am

age four, watching the premiere of Sesame Street (11/10/69)...
0 Replies