A second chance

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 08:24 am
So my ex calls me. I have quite a history with this woman. She says she's been trying to get in touch with me for two months and I've tried to ignore her but she has been so determined I decided she would be allowed to say what she wanted to say.
So she apologizes for being this and that. I tell her exactly why I couldn't handle her. She agrees on everything I say and says I did right all the time, she think I did what was right et c.
Then she tells me she has changed, that the past months have made her realize what an awful person she used to be and explains it by her medication, which, when I look it up later produces some of her then behavior.
So she asks if I want to speak to her again or if we'll hang up now and never speak. I do however believe that people can change, and that everyone deserves a second chance, so I say let's see what happens but I'm not agreeing or promising anything beyond this. She says it's fine and that I made her day.
I tell her I am skeptical, don't believe it but she says it's okay, she'll show me and that I shouldn't make up my mind about her till I see her again. "See you?" I say, considering it a bold idea considering our past. She says we should meet eventually. I say that it's a decision for the future and we agree on that.

So later that day she tells me how happy and good she feels knowing we speak to each other again and she contacts me the next morning to tell me "good morning". We talk a lot on the phone. It's nice. She shows quite some interest in me, and it's good.

Well, eventually she gets busy with other stuff, work, and doesn't speak to me as often or at all. It's been two weeks now since we tried patching up our friendship, to begin with, made no further commitments. Just last week she made it clear she had no desire to see me as we always "create a mess". It suits me fine, she was the one with the burden of proof.

I have wanted to have a long and serious conversation with her. What made me consider speaking to her more that first call was that I was actually able to criticize her and she took the criticism like an adult person. Didn't give me kneejerk replies and got insulting. I thought maybe she has actually changed, become a more emotionally stable person.
Now, ironically, later that week she first told me that I would have to make up to her all the talk to my friends about her. I was rather upset after her behavior last time we met and my closest friends know about it. This statement was interesting considering how she acted the week before.
Also, she said "now who's a control freak?" a few days later as a return on what I'd told her the first time on the phone, when I was totally honest about what I felt. So her ability to take criticism is still not what I expect from an adult. That comment, no matter how true it was, was still something she couldn't handle and that annoyed and/or hurt her for some reason.

Well, anyway, here we are and she hasn't made any major attempt to contact me for the past four-five days or so. I know she works night shift at the hospital and basically works, eats and sleeps but still. I sent a text, she made a one word reply. I am not trying to contact her, it's all on her now, it's up to her to show that she has changed and to have me reconsider my position. I am not exactly impressed by her efforts. I am not growing fonder of her for not speaking to me.

Either way, and no matter how stupid this situation is, she needs me for some reason. And I feel good with her, I miss her, and I need her but I realized how destructive it was to me so I cut it all, and I can do it again, and I am considering it. I sincerely hoped she could prove that she was prepared to work with me to achieve something, that she had changed, that she could listen to some of what I had to say, I just don't know how much of my patience she deserves and whether I should wait deciding until we can talk all this over and I better know what she intends.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 623 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Tenoch

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 09:39 am
sounds like she's still playing games. stil selfish, still just being a girl who's gonna break your heart.
0 Replies

random sunspots

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 09:59 am
Haha. She's done that enough many times already. There's not much left for her to break anymore.
My friend said something he knows from personal experience with other similar women that the reasons she wants me around is a reason no one wants to be wanted for, she needs me for confirmation, a sense of knowing that I'll be there, I'll love her, no matter what and who breaks her heart, and which is why she doesn't seem to pay much attention. I'm emotional insurance.
0 Replies

Tenoch

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 10:19 am
don't be emotional insurance. I hate biatches that got guys on the side like that.

i once got seriously involved with a girl that had this guy that was completely devoted to her. He had not dated anyone since they broke up 5 years before, but she continued being a young single girl dating many people including me. After each one of her new boyfriends that broke her heart this guy was there to be her rebound boyfriend until she met another. I thought he was pathetic, and i thought that she was super selfish to keep this guy on a leash.
0 Replies

random sunspots

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 10:26 am
I definitely don't want that to be the case. Like I said, I left before and I can certainly do it all again should it be necessary. If she wants to stay friends then that's fine too if it's mutual, and I'm not some kind of backup or someone you pay attention to when it suits you.
I've moved on but you never really forget emotions, you just compartmentalize them well and accept reality. I'm happy the way things are so I'm far from being what that guy was, an emotional slave. I just think her behavior right now is weird and I'd like to here what others might think and what kind of experiences they have had.
Thanks for sharing Tenoch.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 01:11 am
hey random.

well, it sounds like you are being smart about the whole situation.

I have been the woman(more of a girl at the time) who put a guy through that same rollercoaster ride. So maybe I can help with my thoughts here.

It sounds like she still has a lot of emotional growing to do. I would take her promises and what she says with a big old grain of salt, and go purely on her actions. It's impossible for me to know where she is at, but from your post it sounds like she is not delivering what you need for a romantic relationship. The best you can aim at right now is a friendship.

My advice would be to seriously see if she can be a friend. Treat her like any other friend. Don't let her get away with crap (even though it will be tougher bc of old feelings and such). She will learn eventually that you do care about her. She may or may not deliver. Maybe she isn't ready to really change.

You seem to be doing well. Just continue using your common sense, and know that what she needs right now is something she has to find within herself. There is only so much friends and spouses can do: Every person has to make themself happy first.

good luck
0 Replies

random sunspots

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 12:30 pm
Thank you very much flushd!

She told me today she missed me and wanted to hook up some time soon, this all of a sudden. Recall she said it'd be a mess, just two weeks ago. I think I'll play hard to get for the time being, so I dodged the question, because I'd be stupid to jump right back into the snakepit. I'm asking myself if I should risk the mess that might come with it.
It is only when she needs me that she seems to care about me at all and it comes and goes like the tide. I need something stable and I am not sure she can offer me that.
There are many things that need to be sorted out and discussed before I should even consider seeing her. My friends who where there and helped me when it was worst, and they are very generous people, very kind and helpful, told me they'd come get me if I ever spoke to her again...
Now, my mind is my own, I make my own decisions, but I try to heed their advice, learn from the past and try not to be an idiot again.

Do you have any advice to offer?
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 01:45 pm
Honestly, I think I'd be listening to your friends advice who were there for you in the past and steer clear of any chance to be taken in again by her.

You sound so very smart, that I cannot even imagine why you would even want to consider giving this another shot. Unless you are a glutton for punishment that is.

It is true, that people can change, but just her behaviour over the last few weeks have given you a glimpse of how much she hasn't really changed at all. Granted, this tiger may have painted over her stripes, but I don't think she has really changed them. And the paint, the facade will soon be washed away and you could find yourself back in the clutches of her all too unpleasant claws once again.

You stated that you are happy where you are right now. My advice would be to continue on your road to happiness and not look back. Think about this....is there really anything positive she could bring to your life right now? Anything at all that you can't live without?
0 Replies

random sunspots

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 02:19 pm
Right. I said I'd give her a chance and right now I am looking at not doing anything else than keep in touch and see for myself. She needs to hear why I acted the way I did, cut all ties, and she needs to listen to me, consider it and then I'll see how she reacts. We haven't even had time to talk things through yet. This is too hasty and she's being emotionally impulsive. She's on an up, but she'll come crashing down eventually. She will, if she's like she used to be. That I cannot handle and I am not sure she got that right.
Do I consider taking up on her offer? And if so, why? Maybe I am happy she needs me and maybe that need is purely sexual. Maybe it is a romantic desire from the past, hoping to experience some of that again.
Either way, I need to stay cool and stay clear for the time being.
Thanks for reading!
0 Replies