What's your favorite Comfort Food?

Seed

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 07:11 pm
home made banana pudding. Just had a bowl, feeling very comforted
Rockhead

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 07:21 pm
@Seed,
that sounds pretty tasty, seed.

I'm going to make jambalaya and cornbread tomorrow.

creole warms my soul...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 07:21 pm
#1 comfort food-Hot & Sour soup
dyslexia

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 07:28 pm
@panzade,
yeah
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 07:40 pm
I see I said mango before, that's a good one. What I was going to say this time though (more of a cold-weather thing) is chicken soup with matzo balls.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 09:13 am
Man.

I miss City Cafe. I'd drive the 14 hours back to Tuscaloosa just for those biscuits. It was the kind of place that opened at 4AM for farmers and fishermen.

There's a place here with a similar menu, but it's got a hip one-word name and there's a dash of fake in each bite.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 11:42 am
@Gargamel,
This is not a food I get to have often, but one I dearly love, absolute comfort although in the photo it looks a little prickly..

carciofo romanesco alla giudea - (fried roman artichoke) - it's like the world's best set of potato chips - and there's an article on them today in the NYTimes -
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/03/05/travel/05globe-rome-artichoke/05globe-rome-artichoke-blogSpan.jpg

http://intransit.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/05/in-season-and-delicious-artichokes-in-rome/
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 01:18 pm
A nice French baguette with creamy butter.
0 Replies

foodielife

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 10:03 am
These are some great ideas. I can't wait to try some myself. Thanks for sharing.
0 Replies

CandyCane28

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 11:20 am
@Bodhisattvawannabe,
My favorite comfort food is a bowl of green chili and chicken. Where I grew up in Colorado my family would make a pilgrimage to New Mexico every fall to buy New Mexican green chili. For any of you who don't know what New Mexican green chili is like, they are these huge, meaty green chili peppers, about 2 inches wide and 7-8 inches long that are roasted for later use. Basically a Spanish person's dream! Smile We roast the chili in our oven when we first get it and then place the roasted chili in freezer bags to be frozen and kept for a later time. When the time is ready for you to make your chili, we let the chili defrost. after it has defrosted, to prepare, we usually pull the skin off, and remove the seeds, taking the "meat" of the chili. You make a soup type of dish, with chunks of chili, chicken (or beef depending on your liking), tomato, and small chunks of garlic. You can add salt and pepper for seasoning ... very basic. Let it simmer in a pot like a stew with water for awhile and voila, you have a warm bowl of chili. It is so tasty and I equate it with Sunday mornings going to church, watching football and snowy mornings.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 02:37 pm
@CandyCane28,
Hey, welcome to a2k, CandyCane - from a person who moved to New Mexico about five years ago. People on a2k food threads probably roll their eyes at me since I'm always mentioning adding chile of some sort to almost everything. Well, that and garlic, and sometimes curry, but those are other stories.

So, how do you pull the skin off of your peppers? The brown bag method? I don't all the time, leave it on in some cases, like soups. But, when I roast (bake) peppers, sweet or hot, dribbled in olive oil, if I leave them in big pieces and roast long enough the skin will just peel off.

Have you been to Hatch? Serious dried pepper sales going on there...
0 Replies

Mosikaa

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 12:42 am
Kurkure
0 Replies