What's your favorite Comfort Food?

Chai

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 10:27 am
Not one that you eat on a regular basis.

What the one that says "There, there dear, Im here. It's going to be all right" Sad

Grill cheese sammich made with Swiss cheese.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 5,755 • Replies: 71
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 10:33 am
Custard.

Laksa.

Steamed yum cha (dim sum to you guys? NOT dim sims!)
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 10:48 am
Dlowan
dlowan wrote:
Custard.

Laksa.

Steamed yum cha (dim sum to you guys? NOT dim sims!)

I love Dim Sum but the good stuff is really hard to find, especially in New Mexico. I was so spoiled having lived all my life in the S.F. Bay Area where great Dim Sum was expected. I never thought of it as comfort food, but I could learn.

BBB
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 10:52 am
- Garlic mashed potatoes, and as long as I'm talking about them, the rest of a meal at 72 Market Street, a now defunct restaurant in Venice, CA, their particular meatloaf and gravy and a goodly amount of delicious spinach. Back with a link if I can find it, 'tis a fine meatloaf recipe.

Now, on garlic mashed potatoes, I make them differently every time, but they're always wonderful...

adding link -
http://www.thatsmyhome.com/momsdiner/beef/market.htm
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 10:56 am
Custard, yes!!!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 11:23 am
Moon pies and R.C. Cola
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 11:26 am
Ig'nert here, whatsa moonpie?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 11:45 am
Ossobuco
ossobuco wrote:
Ig'nert here, whatsa moonpie?

http://www.moonpie.com/
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 11:46 am
New Orleans dishwater gumbo
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 12:06 pm
cheesecake, any kind will do
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 12:44 pm
Liver cooked with apples and onions, with mashed potatoes and green beans on the side.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 12:54 pm
Beth
Bethie, what fun to find another calves liver lover. So many people gag at the thought of eating liver.

I love calve's liver, sauted rare to medium, with lots of carmelized onions. Adding apples sounds great! I also like it served with corn cakes. The crunch is a lovely contrast to the soft liver.

BBB
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 01:44 pm
I learned to like liver as an adult. When my mother served it when I was a child, it was this funny tasting greyed shoeleather on a plate..
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 01:50 pm
Tapioca pudding.

Homemade...not that awful imitation stuff you find in pudding cups...I'm talking about the real eggs, vanilla & half'n'half stuff.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 01:50 pm
yes, liver with bacon, vidalia onions, "home-made" applesauce and mashed potatoes is also one of my favourites.

on a cold and damp day i like "home-made" aspargus soup with "home-made" meatballs and a nice buttered "montreal" bagel on the side. we've made up a batch of aspargus soup just for such an emergency.

today we had our usual sunday meal fish, potatoes, vegs, salad.
the fish today was : salmon steaks and marinated catfish,
home-made potatoe salad (the potatoes where still warm when we started eating).
beans and carrots - fresh from the garden, carrots where really sweet,
lettuce and tomatoes (tomatoes from the garden; they were given a shot of "epsom" salt just before they ripened - makes them absolutely the sweetest) ;

while we always bemoan the work that goes into planting the vegetable garden, once we start eating it's worth the effort. hbg
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 01:54 pm
Hamberger
hamburger wrote:
today we had our usual sunday meal fish, potatoes, vegs, salad. the fish today was : salmon steaks and marinated catfish,
home-made potatoe salad (the potatoes where still warm when we started eating). beans and carrots - fresh from the garden, carrots where really sweet, lettuce and tomatoes (tomatoes from the garden; they were given a shot of "epsom" salt just before they ripened - makes them absolutely the sweetest) ;

while we always bemoan the work that goes into planting the vegetable garden, once we start eating it's worth the effort. hbg

Hamburger, I'm so jealous of your vegetable garden. Great fruits and vegetables from a world-class green grocer are the things I missed most in Albuquerque. I was so spoiled in California.

BBB
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 02:17 pm
cookies and cream ice cream made by Bluebell..

Im drooling just thinking about it..

i need comfort now....
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 03:41 pm
I would have to say beef pot pie. I used to go with chicken but allergies being what they are I had to give it up and now it's beef all the way. Only eat them every 5 or 6 months when I really am in a mood.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 05:16 pm
had some "comfort food" this afternoon while sitting on the porch. we stopped by our favourite bakery this morning and stocked up on fresh bread and buns. since they also had a fresh chocolate-hazelnut torte and fresh orange-cranberry loaves, we decided we'd better take some of those goodies. so we each had a slice of chocolate-hazelnut torte and a slice of orange-cranberry loaf with a large mug of tea - comfort food for a sunday afternoon. hbg
0 Replies

Bodhisattvawannabe

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 06:43 pm
Homemade cheese and macaroni.