The Ballad of Twitter and that Billionaire Bumpkin, Elon Musk

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2022 02:49 pm
What do you think of Elon Musk's attempt to grab Twitter for himself? Do you believe his claim that he wants Twitter to be the global model for free speech?

Will you ditch you Twitter account if Musk (despite his renewed efforts to back out of the hostile takeover)? I know I'm waiting for the smoke to clear before deleting my account.

Breaking news that could change the situation:
Twitter shareholders approve $44 billion Elon Musk buyout

Timeline/Context of the Potential Purchase of Twitter:
A timeline of Elon Musk's 9-month chaotic saga to buy Twitter, from him tweeting a poop emoji at the CEO to a whistleblower appearing before Congress

On a possibly related note:
Twitter may have hired a Chinese spy and four other takeaways from the Senate hearing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 6,281 • Replies: 291

engineer

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2022 02:59 pm
@tsarstepan,
Musk wants to own Twitter because he wants to control speech. Twitter has long been his platform for engaging in questionable activities like stock manipulation and character attacks, but as it is now, he could lose that platform and he doesn't want to risk that. He also doesn't want to pay the ridiculous price he offered, so now he is trying to get out.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2022 01:55 pm
@engineer,
Update:
Elon Musk offers to buy Twitter for original bid
Musk, Twitter may reach deal to end court battle as early as Wednesday -source
Quote:
WILMINGTON, Del., Oct 5 (Reuters) - Elon Musk and Twitter Inc (TWTR.N) may reach an agreement to end their litigation as soon as Wednesday and clear the way for the world's richest person to close his $44 billion deal for the social media platform, a source familiar with the litigation told Reuters.

Chancellor Kathaleen McCormick, the judge on Delaware's Court of Chancery, wrote: "The parties have not filed a stipulation to stay this action, nor has any party moved for a stay. I, therefore, continue to press on toward our trial set to begin on Oct. 17, 2022."
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2022 10:27 am
@tsarstepan,
Here's what Elon Musk will likely do with Twitter if he buys it
Quote:
When Musk agreed to buy Twitter back in April, he said he would "unlock" the company's potential by advancing free speech and "defeating the spam bots."

"Free speech is the bedrock of a functioning democracy, and Twitter is the digital town square where matters vital to the future of humanity are debated," he said in the official deal announcement.

Elon Musk addresses Twitter staff about free speech, remote work, layoffs and aliens
TECHNOLOGY
Elon Musk addresses Twitter staff about free speech, remote work, layoffs and aliens
It's a theme he reiterated both in public, telling Twitter employees at an all-staff meeting that the platform should allow all legal speech, and in private, texting investor Antonio Gracias that "Free speech matters most when it's someone you hate spouting what you think is bull****."

Which is quite disingenuous because he's infamous for throwing temper tantrums on Twitter against many who criticize him and actually get his attention.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2022 11:50 am
Here’s Hoping Elon Musk Destroys Twitter

Michelle Goldberg wrote:
I’ve sometimes described being on Twitter as like staying too late at a bad party full of people who hate you. I now think this was too generous to Twitter. I mean, even the worst parties end.

Twitter is more like an existentialist parable of a party, with disembodied souls trying and failing to be properly seen, forever. It’s not surprising that the platform’s most prolific users often refer to it as “this hellsite.”

So I have mixed feelings about what might be the impending takeover of Twitter by Elon Musk, the richest man in the world, whose neural network seems perpetually plugged into the platform. Musk first made an ill-advised move to buy Twitter in the spring. After signing papers with little due diligence, he tried to back out. Twitter sued, and on the cusp of the trial Musk reversed course again, agreeing to go forward with the sale.

It’s far from a done deal — the financing is still uncertain — but Musk appears to recognize that the alternative is potentially embarrassing litigation that he is likely to lose. (Already, the lawsuit has resulted in the release of a bunch of Musk’s text messages, showing many of his sycophantic associates channeling Kendall Roy.)

That means a Musk-owned Twitter is, at the very least, a distinct possibility. I understand why this is, for many on the left, deeply chilling. Musk’s politics are shaped by a fondness for trolling and a hatred of wokeness, and he’s likely to make the site a more congenial place for racist demagogues and conspiracy theorists. Among other things, he’s promised to reinstate Donald Trump, whose account was suspended after the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol. Other far-right figures may not be far behind, along with Russian propagandists, Covid deniers and the like. Given Twitter’s outsize influence on media and politics, this will probably make American public life even more fractious and deranged.

I have a shred of hope, however, that if Musk makes Twitter awful enough, users will flee, and it will become less relevant. I’m usually wary of arguments that declining conditions are a catalyst to progress — contrary to the formulation often attributed to Vladimir Lenin, “the worse, the better,” worse is usually just worse. I’m going to make an exception for Twitter, though. The best thing it could do for society would be to implode.

An obvious question — one my kids ask me all the time — is why I use Twitter if I detest it so much. The easy part of the answer is that it’s useful for my job. It’s a font of breaking news, a way to quickly survey what lots of different people are saying, a tool for promoting my writing, and sometimes a vehicle for contacting sources. It was on Twitter that I learned that Musk had finally agreed, again, to buy Twitter. As soon as this column is published, I’ll post it there.

But more than professional utility ties me to the site. Twitter hooks people in much the same way slot machines do, with what experts call an “intermittent reinforcement schedule.” Most of the time, it’s repetitive and uninteresting, but occasionally, at random intervals, some compelling nugget will appear. Unpredictable rewards, as the behavioral psychologist B.F. Skinner found with his research on rats and pigeons, are particularly good at generating compulsive behavior.

“I don’t know that Twitter engineers ever sat around and said, ‘We are creating a Skinner box,’” said Natasha Dow Schüll, a cultural anthropologist at New York University and author of a book about gambling machine design. But that, she said, is essentially what they’ve built. It’s one reason people who should know better regularly self-destruct on the site — they can’t stay away.

Twitter is not, obviously, the only social media platform with addictive qualities. But with its constant promise of breaking news, it feeds the hunger of people who work in journalism and politics, giving it a disproportionate, and largely negative, impact on those fields, and hence on our national life.

It’s true that Twitter can be good for drawing attention to injustice and galvanizing demonstrations, as it did after the killing of George Floyd. But as my colleague Zeynep Tufekci showed in her book “Twitter and Tear Gas,” while social media helps leaderless movements coalesce quickly, the absence of a real-world organizing infrastructure can fatally undermine them. That’s one reason, as The New York Times recently reported, mass protest movements “are today more likely to fail than they were at any other point since at least the 1930s.”

Twitter is much better at stoking tribalism than promoting progress. According to a 2021 study, content expressing “out-group animosity” — negative feelings toward disfavored groups — is a major driver of social-media engagement. That builds on earlier research showing that on Twitter, false information, especially about politics, spreads “significantly farther, faster, deeper and more broadly than the truth.” Trump was almost certainly right when he said that without Twitter, he wouldn’t have become president.

The company’s internal research has shown that Twitter’s algorithm amplifies right-wing accounts and news sources over left-wing ones. This dynamic will probably intensify quite a bit if Musk takes over. Musk has said that Twitter has “a strong left bias,” and that he wants to undo permanent bans, except for spam accounts and those that explicitly call for violence. That suggests figures like Alex Jones, Steve Bannon and Marjorie Taylor Greene will be welcomed back.

But as one of the people who texted Musk pointed out, returning banned right-wingers to Twitter will be a “delicate game.” After all, the reason Twitter introduced stricter moderation in the first place was that its toxicity was bad for business. Back in 2016, Disney came close to buying Twitter, but was ultimately put off in large part by the harassment rampant on the platform. “Disney’s discomfort with abuse on the site indicates that it’s a larger problem for Twitter’s business prospects than its executives imagined,” reported Bloomberg.

If Musk moves Twitter in the direction of right-wing sites like Gab, Parler and Truth Social, he might attract some new users, but at the price of repelling others. Already, Twitter user growth has slowed, and as Musk pointed out when he was trying to get out of the deal, many of its top accounts don’t post much. For A-list entertainers, The Washington Post reports, Twitter “is viewed as a high-risk, low-reward platform.” Plenty of non-celebrities feel the same way; I can’t count the number of interesting people who were once active on the site but aren’t anymore.

An influx of Trumpists is not going to improve the vibe. Twitter can’t be saved. Maybe, if we’re lucky, it can be destroyed.

nyt
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2022 12:07 pm
Tribel is trying to move in. I have visited a few times. Not real impressed.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2022 12:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
No idea what that is. I'll wait and see where many of the content creators (artists and illustrators) and film reviewers I follow move to in terms of social media apps.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2022 04:39 am

https://iili.io/bBK5QI.jpg
izzythepush

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2022 04:42 am
Wonder how long hate speech directed towards yarpies will stay up.

I'm betting no way near as long as tweets denying the Holocaust or using the n word.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2022 07:20 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Here’s Hoping Elon Musk Destroys Twitter

Musk has a dilemma here. One the one hand, he wants to create a hellscape where anyone can say anything with anonymity and impunity, but he also just lost 15 billion dollars by way overpaying and if he allows Twitter to implode, he'll lose another 30 billion, much of which is financed at higher interest rates than he might have expected to pay in April. If you allow nutcases to spew hatred in the lobby of your local Cracker Barrel, you wouldn't be surprised to find out no one wants to eat there anymore. If advertisers and power users decide that nutcases spewing hatred is not where they want to be, Musk will not be a happy camper. It's not like he really cares, billionaires can never really be in trouble since 1% of his wealth would still mean he could live far beyond what any of us could hope to attain, but there is the image of Twitter imploding that he'd like to avoid. The other option is to really do nothing other than tweak around the edges, talk a good game, but put some decent people in charge and focus on his other businesses. I think we will see a lot of the latter and little of the former.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2022 12:04 pm
Shaun King
@shaunking
·
As you see, thousands of
@ElonMusk
supporters are now posting every racial slur and bigoted threat they can - all under the belief that Elon will protect it as free speech.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2022 12:33 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

https://iili.io/bBK5QI.jpg

Problem. He's borrowed a ton of billions from other @sshole billionaires to buy Twitter. We need tax reform so billionaires CAN'T LOOPHOLE their way out of paying their fair share in taxes.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2022 12:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm lucky so far as my Twitter feed hasn't been poisoned with this expected deluge of Hate. I block a ton of people on both Twitter and Facebook. I also report a ton of conspiracy, political and health misinformation as well. That might help my current feed stay less toxic. At least for now.

But as soon as the Orange Plague has his Twitter account reinstated? I feel compelled to close my Twitter account in (lame) protest.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2022 12:42 pm
I block every right wing extremist and even some not that extreme, because I don't want to wallow in a mire with them.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2022 06:37 am
Musk reportedly to start charging $20 a month for precious Blue Checkmark https://iili.io/bjtJDb.jpg
(gizmodo)
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2022 06:38 am
I hardly use twitter anyway, and I'm not going to any more.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2022 04:37 am

Twitter says more than 50,000 tweets containing the N-Word were posted in 48 hours
amid reports of racist trolling campaign

use of the word shot up 500% in the 12 hours after Musk's deal closed on Thursday
(businessinsider)
McGentrix

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2022 07:18 am
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
"Over the last 48 hours, we've seen a small number of accounts post a ton of Tweets that include slurs and other derogatory terms," Roth tweeted. "To give you a sense of scale: More than 50,000 Tweets repeatedly using a particular slur came from just 300 accounts."

He said the majority of the accounts that tweeted the hateful content were "inauthentic." Twitter has taken steps to ban the accounts involved in the trolling campaign, he added.

Seems like the left has some bots doing what bots do.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2022 07:37 am
Interesting article on Musk's actions with Twitter: https://slate.com/technology/2022/11/elon-musk-twitter-business-content-moderation-verification-blue-checkmarks.html

Here is another take saying there is a method to the madness: https://slate.com/technology/2022/11/the-case-that-elon-musk-knows-exactly-what-hes-doing-at-twitter.html
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2022 01:04 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Musk wants to own Twitter because he wants to control speech. Twitter has long been his platform for engaging in questionable activities like stock manipulation and character attacks, but as it is now, he could lose that platform and he doesn't want to risk that. He also doesn't want to pay the ridiculous price he offered, so now he is trying to get out.

Mind reading arguments are automatically invalid.

1. Forums
  2. » The Ballad of Twitter and that Billionaire Bumpkin, Elon Musk
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 11:30:25