The Ballad of Twitter and that Billionaire Bumpkin, Elon Musk

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2022 06:22 am
Quote:
Musk issues ultimatum to staff:
Commit to ‘hardcore’ Twitter or take severance

Twitter is shifting to an engineer-driven operation — one that “will need to be extremely hardcore”
going forward, according to the midnight email, which was obtained by The Washington Post.
Employees were asked to click an icon and respond by Thursday if they wanted to stay.

“This will mean working long hours at high intensity,” he said. “Only exceptional performance
will constitute a passing grade.”

By mid-Wednesday, members of Twitter’s Trust and Safety team — who are responsible for keeping
hate speech and misinformation off the site — were discussing a mass resignation, according to
three current employees who spoke on the condition of anonymity for fear of retribution.
(WaPo)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2022 06:59 am
Quote:
How to download your Twitter archive

After a mass exodus of “critical” workers at Twitter, raising fears that the site might not continue to operate reliably, some users might be thinking it’s a good time to preserve years of tweets and other data.

Twitter provides a method to download your data that is, in theory, not difficult. It depends on the service functioning, and as of Friday, there were already visible cracks in the infrastructure.

But if all goes well, here’s how you can download your data from Twitter, including your tweets, attached photos and videos, direct messages, likes, lists and Moments.

On Desktop

While logged into your account, Click “More” in the left column. Then select “Settings and Support,” then “Settings and privacy.”

Under “Your account,” select “Download an archive of your data.”

You will have to input your Twitter password, and it will then email or text you a verification code that also needs to be entered. As of Friday, there were widespread reports of the text option not working, but the email option appeared to work.

After submitting your password and the verification code, hit the big, blue button that says “Request archive.”

Once you’ve requested your data, it’s time to sit back and hope. Twitter says “it can take 24 hours or longer for your data to be ready,” but that’s in the best of times. Good luck.

On iOS and Android

Tap on your profile photo in the top-left corner, scroll down to “Settings and Support,” and then select “Settings and privacy.” Tap on “Your account,” then “Download an archive of your data.” You will be asked to sign into Twitter. Then follow the steps from above.
(nyt)
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2022 07:26 am
It is amazing that someone can be so rich that they can buy a company for 44 billion dollars and destroy it for fun, knowing that they've got tens of billions more and they can just default on the bank loans and the little people will cover it through fees and interest payments.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2022 07:20 am

Elon Musk is a 'Space Karen', says projection on Twitter HQ

0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2022 09:23 pm
@engineer,
In that case, the problem would be that a person was preaching at all, not the content of what he was preaching. If I owned a restaurant and people were having ordinary conversations with each other at reasonable volume levels, I would not tell the people I disagreed with that they had to stop talking. I respect peoples' rights to believe what they like and speak it aloud. The community's best solution for bad ideas is better ideas not censorship.
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2022 07:44 am

https://iili.io/HHnIC9R.jpg
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2022 08:07 am
Twitter lifts Donald Trump ban after Elon Musk’s poll

‘The people have spoken,’ says site’s owner, having acknowledged during online poll that automated bots were voting too

Sun 20 Nov 2022 08.22 EST

Elon Musk has reinstated Donald Trump’s Twitter account after users on the social media platform voted by a slim majority to lift a ban on the former US president.

Trump’s account was suspended in 2021 after the January 6 Capitol riot, for violating Twitter guidelines and the risk of “further incitement of violence”.

The account appeared to be live on Sunday, although the former president had yet to post to the more than 70 million users following him. His last tweet was on 8 January 2021, in which he declared that he would not attend Joe Biden’s inauguration as 46th president of the US.

Trump did not appear keen to return to Twitter when discussing the issue on Saturday. “I don’t see any reason for it,” the former president said via video when asked about it by a panel at the Republican Jewish Coalition’s annual leadership meeting.

He said he would stick with his new platform Truth Social, the app developed by his Trump Media and Technology Group startup.

Last week, Trump announced his candidacy for the Republican presidential nomination in 2024 and praised Musk, saying he had always liked him. Nevertheless, Trump also said Twitter suffered from bots and fake accounts, and that the problems it faced were “incredible”.

Musk, Twitter’s new owner, announced the move after a poll on his own account, in which more than 15m votes were cast, with 51.8% in favour of reinstatement.

Shortly after taking over Twitter last month, the Tesla CEO had said that no decisions would be taken on reinstatement until a newly announced “content moderation council” had met, later adding that no bans would be lifted until there was a “clear process for doing so”.

During the poll, Musk acknowledged that the vote numbers were being affected by automated bots, which are not operated by people, and suggested there was a need to clean up Twitter polls from being influenced by “bot and troll armies”.

Twitter banned Trump after the January 6 attack last year, saying his posts were “highly likely to encourage and inspire people to replicate the criminal acts that took place at the US Capitol”. Trump was also banned from Facebook, Instagram and YouTube after the riot.

The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), a leading US civil rights organisation, urged all advertisers still funding the platform to immediately pause their spending after Trump’s reinstatement.

The account used by the British-American kickboxer Andrew Tate has also been reinstated. Tate was banned in 2017 for breaching Twitter’s guidelines with extreme misogynistic views, including saying women should “bear some responsibility” for being raped.

“Any advertiser still funding Twitter should immediately pause all advertising,” said the NAACP’s president, Derrick Johnson. “If Elon Musk continues to run Twitter like this, using garbage polls that do not represent the American people and the needs of our democracy, God help us all.”

Musk admitted this month that Twitter, which relies on ads for 90% of its revenue, had suffered a “massive drop in revenue” after advertisers stopped booking space on the platform because of concerns that content guidelines would be relaxed.

Advertisers were also concerned by the botched relaunch of Twitter’s subscription service, Twitter Blue, after impersonators jumped on the offer to be verified by simply paying $7.99 (£7) a month. Omnicom, a media agency whose clients include McDonald’s, Apple and Pepsi, has told companies to pause their Twitter spending because of concerns over brand safety.

Yoel Roth, the former head of trust and safety at Twitter who resigned after the takeover, said in a New York Times op-ed that he quit because it was clear Musk would have unilateral control of content policies. “A Twitter whose policies are defined by unilateral edict has little need for a trust and safety function dedicated to its principled development,” Roth wrote.

Musk, a self-described “free-speech absolutist”, first mooted the reinstatement of Trump in May after agreeing a $44bn deal to buy Twitter. He said: “I would reverse the permanent ban,” claiming that Twitter was “left-biased”.

This week, Musk reinstated the comedian Kathy Griffin, who had been banned for changing her profile name to “Elon Musk”, which violated his new rule against impersonation without indicating it was a parody account. He has also reinstated Jordan Peterson, the Canadian psychologist and author, who was suspended from Twitter after violating the platform’s content policies with a tweet about the transgender actor Elliot Page.

On Friday, Musk announced a new content policy of “freedom of speech, but not freedom of reach”, stating that “negative/hate” tweets would be “deboosted” and no adverts would appear near them.

Also on Friday, Twitter temporarily closed its offices after an unspecified number of staff quit the company after an ultimatum from Musk that they should commit to “being hardcore” or leave. According to the New York Times, 1,200 of Twitter’s remaining 3,750 workers – a workforce that had already been halved in size after Musk’s takeover – left the business last week.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/nov/20/twitter-lifts-donald-trump-ban-after-elon-musks-poll
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2022 01:33 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
In that case, the problem would be that a person was preaching at all, not the content of what he was preaching. If I owned a restaurant and people were having ordinary conversations with each other at reasonable volume levels, I would not tell the people I disagreed with that they had to stop talking.

So, you don't believe in unfettered free speech, you have rules, just like Twitter. On Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc people get to have ordinary conversations with each other at reasonable volume levels. When you start doing things that disturb their customers (advertisers), then they act. That's what private companies do.
engineer

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2022 01:36 pm
While it is not hilarious for those impacted, it is amusing that Musk is firing anyone who disagrees with him in any way. The slightest criticism results in termination. We could ask Twitter to comment on this policy, but all their public relations people have been laid off.
jcboy

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2022 01:38 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

While it is not hilarious for those impacted, it is amusing that Musk is firing anyone who disagrees with him in any way. The slightest criticism results in termination. We could ask Twitter to comment on this policy, but all their public relations people have been laid off.

He sounds like tRump Razz
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2022 01:53 pm
@engineer,
It sounds like Musk has some rules too
Quote:
Elon Musk has said he will not reinstate the conspiracy theorist Alex Jones on Twitter, saying he has “no mercy” for people who capitalize on the deaths of children for personal fame.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2022 07:54 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
In that case, the problem would be that a person was preaching at all, not the content of what he was preaching. If I owned a restaurant and people were having ordinary conversations with each other at reasonable volume levels, I would not tell the people I disagreed with that they had to stop talking.

So, you don't believe in unfettered free speech, you have rules, just like Twitter. On Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc people get to have ordinary conversations with each other at reasonable volume levels. When you start doing things that disturb their customers (advertisers), then they act. That's what private companies do.

I never advocated yelling "Fire" in a crowded theater, but so what? Unlike you, I would never censor the content of what anyone said, or prevent him from saying it, with the single exception of a clear invocation to imminent violence. Note especially, the word "imminent." For example, I would never censor speech on Twitter, except, as noted for an invocation to imminent violence. I'd even let you make posts that opposed my core beliefs. I believe in freedom of speech and you don't.
engineer

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2022 11:18 am
@Brandon9000,
You are advocating yelling "fire" is a crowded building. After all, that's not a clear invocation to violence, right? (Also, while that example is commonly used, I think most legal scholars would tell you that the government could not prosecute you for saying it because of, you know, free speech.) You would not allow someone to walk into your living room and start spouting their opinion. For that matter, you would not allow them to do it in your yard. No business would allow someone to enter their property and use their resources for a purpose they did not condone. When the NY Times (or any other newspaper) does not print every letter they receive, that is not a restriction of free speech. They are under no obligation to print what you send them because of "free speech". Likewise, Twitter is under no obligation to post whatever someone thinks is of value. It's a business and the purpose of a business is to make money by pleasing their customers. If you are saying that if you owned a business, you would open up your resources to whoever wants to use them to promote their position, you are simply lying. Elon Musk has fired people specifically for speaking out about him. He has refused to reinstate some accounts (Alex Jones for example). That's what private businesses do; they make decisions about to make their businesses profitable.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2022 11:27 am
@engineer,
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2022 04:23 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
You are advocating yelling "fire" is a crowded building. After all, that's not a clear invocation to violence, right? (Also, while that example is commonly used, I think most legal scholars would tell you that the government could not prosecute you for saying it because of, you know, free speech.) You would not allow someone to walk into your living room and start spouting their opinion. For that matter, you would not allow them to do it in your yard. No business would allow someone to enter their property and use their resources for a purpose they did not condone. When the NY Times (or any other newspaper) does not print every letter they receive, that is not a restriction of free speech. They are under no obligation to print what you send them because of "free speech". Likewise, Twitter is under no obligation to post whatever someone thinks is of value. It's a business and the purpose of a business is to make money by pleasing their customers. If you are saying that if you owned a business, you would open up your resources to whoever wants to use them to promote their position, you are simply lying. Elon Musk has fired people specifically for speaking out about him. He has refused to reinstate some accounts (Alex Jones for example). That's what private businesses do; they make decisions about to make their businesses profitable.

Okay, in addition to not allowing an invocation to imminent violence, I'd also not allow yelling "fire" in a crowded theater, and I'm sure there are a few other scenarios one could find where I wouldn't allow something. However, as though it weren't blindingly obvious, my point is that I wouldn't restrict speech based on disagreeing with someone's opinion.

I find your example of not allowing someone to "come into my living room and start spouting their opinion" to be pretty obtuse, because my objection is to them coming into my living room uninvited, it's not based on not liking the content of their speech. If I owned a public facility the purpose of which included speech, I would not censor it based on content, except as already noted.

I also find your comment that "Twitter is under no obligation to post whatever someone thinks is of value" to be obtuse, because I've explained this point multiple times. I never said that they were under an obligation to do so (although that's actually a complex issue). What I said is that if they believed in freedom of speech, they would choose to allow opinions that they didn't like.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2022 08:50 am
Willie Handler, Cdn author/satirist (not a parody)
@WillieHandler
·
2h
The end of Twitter is taking forever. Did Tolstoy write this?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2022 04:54 pm

https://iili.io/H3GQJS4.jpg
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2022 06:37 am

Laughing

https://iili.io/H3mapxs.jpg
McGentrix

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2022 10:49 am
@Region Philbis,
Yet, he posted it on Twitter.... How will he give lefty's a chuckle if he stops using Twitter?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2022 03:00 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

If I owned a public facility the purpose of which included speech, I would not censor it based on content, except as already noted.

That's my point. Twitter, both before and after it changed hands, is in no way a "public facility", not any more than your living room. Everyone there is at the invitation and indulgence of the owners.
Quote:
What I said is that if they believed in freedom of speech, they would choose to allow opinions that they didn't like.

The old Twitter, the one that was a public company, had an absolute obligation to its shareholders - make money. It is certainly debatable about what course of action would have made the most money, but the management made the decision that restricting hate speech would make it more money, so that is the course they were obliged to take. Musk, on the other hand, has the option of having beliefs that are not solely monetarily related and he's chosen to restrict speech as well. He's restricting different speech and doing it without rhyme or reason, but that is his right. You say you would do otherwise in his shoes and I'm sure you believe that, but it's really easy to say that when it is someone else's billions on the line.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 06:32:23