The Ballad of Twitter and that Billionaire Bumpkin, Elon Musk

engineer

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2023 07:21 am
@izzythepush,
The guy has started two of the most successful modern companies, Tesla and Space X, both of which have completely changed their respective industries. Starlink (owned by Space X) has been critical to the Ukrainian army in its efforts to resist the Russians. The guy has ideas and he is willing to go big.

I think Musk's issue is the same one that many powerful, famous and/or rich people have. He completely feels entitled to speak his opinions without criticism. Say something stupid and an expert calls you out, call him a pedophile. Say you are going to take a company worth hundreds of billions of dollars private (when you are the current CEO) and whine about the SEC hammering you for stock manipulation. The fastest way to get banned from Twitter is not to post violent hate speech, it is to criticize Elon Musk. (Ye proved this brilliantly.)
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2023 07:54 am
Interesting article about how the deep layoffs at Twitter have impacted advertising.

Quote:
“Getting a Twitter rep to respond on advertising was always difficult,” said David Herrmann, a social-media ad buyer. “But lately our emails have been falling into the abyss.”

Of the half-dozen Twitter advertisers I interviewed for this story, nearly all experienced a meaningful decline in service after the company’s layoffs. “We had a couple of Twitter reps and they were like, ‘nothing’s changed,’” said one auto advertiser. “A few weeks later, there was another round of layoffs and they were gone.”

In place of standard communication from Twitter sales reps, advertisers have been sending emails into the void—including to laid-off employees’ inboxes—hoping someone will answer. Sometimes replies come, but often after long waits. The lack of responsiveness has left risk-averse advertisers feeling vulnerable, and some have decided it just isn’t worth it. “We’ve pulled out of Twitter for all our paid media,” said the auto advertiser. “It was never a big part of the spending plans but now it’s zero part.”

Given that Twitter’s ad systems are largely automated, its sales reps play a crucial role in answering advertiser queries about ad delivery, bugs, and new products. This interaction is a fundamental reason why Twitter makes money, especially given its limited audience and technical capabilities. “You want to have that line of communication open,” said Eric Seufert, an investor whose companies advertise on Twitter.

Twitter’s ad reps also sell the company against Google and Facebook, a task that takes heavy lifting. The two tech giants have such finely honed systems that advertisers can comfortably spend knowing their dollars will turn into revenue, but this isn’t the case at Twitter. “At Google, you could not show up and the money would still fly through the vents,” said one ex-Twitter executive. “We had to come up with more creative ideas in order to earn our fair share or more.”
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2023 08:19 am

https://iili.io/HWrGEEQ.jpg
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2023 09:08 am
Twitter suffered a massive downtime event yesterday when the only engineer left on a key project made a mistake and disabled the API.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2023 12:56 pm
@engineer,
Elon Musk apologizes after mocking laid-off Twitter employee with disability
I'm shocked I say! He has so much empathy and compassion towards everyone who works or worked for him. Rolling Eyes

engineer

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2023 07:11 am
@tsarstepan,
This goes back to the original complaint Musk had with Twitter. It's not that it limits "free speech", it's that it potentially limits his speech. (This is also why he demanded engineers redo the software to push his mentions to the top of everyone's feed.) Musk has shown no issues with removing or censoring people who criticize him (or firing them in the case of Twitter employees). He considers Twitter to be his platform for waging pissing contests with others (like the guy he called a pedophile). So, he heard some employee criticized him and his first response was to go nuclear on them. Oops, turns out that was a bad move, better apologize and that will make everything better.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2023 12:39 pm

opps-a-daisy!

Watch Elon Musk's SpaceX Rocket explode after launch

0 Replies

thack45

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2023 01:17 pm
@engineer,
https://i.redd.it/7ks0yeazzwua1.jpg
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2023 09:46 pm
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/d0/b2/76/d0b276a2e8b44684d8f0acf669dd6b47.jpg
engineer

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2023 07:01 am
@hingehead,
Lol, I was listening to an article about how Musk has been allowing popular accounts to keep the check without paying and how the owners have been going public to say they are absolutely not paying for the check mark.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2023/04/twitter-blue-verification
Quote:
It was all part of Elon Musk’s plan to get people to pay for Twitter Blue, the $8-a-month subscription service that, among other features, gives subscribers a verification checkmark. The rollout, like most things executed by Musk’s Twitter, is off to a rocky start: over the weekend, Twitter re-verified a slew of users who did not pay for the product—prompting several to publicly proclaim as much on the platform. “(Did not subscribe),” The New York Times’ Maggie Haberman (1.6M followers), tweeted alongside a screenshot of her badge stating she’d subscribed to Twitter Blue and had verified her phone number. “We did not subscribe to Twitter Blue,” the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (1.2M followers) wrote Saturday. “The Universe brims with mysteries,” tweeted astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson (14.7M followers). “So my blue check has reappeared. I had nothing to do with that, and am definitely not paying,” Times Opinion columnist Paul Krugman (4.5M followers) tweeted, to which Musk replied with a photo of a crying baby. Twitter even re-verified accounts belonging to users who have died, like chef Anthony Bourdain and actor Chadwick Boseman.
hingehead

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2023 05:19 pm
@engineer,
Have you seen the people who've died who have the statement that they are verified 'because they subscribe to Twitter Blue and have verified their phone'.

Like Kobe Bryant, Steve Jobs, , Norm Macdonald, Anthony Bourdain, Chadwick Boseman, and Michael Jackson.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2023 05:36 pm
@hingehead,
I heard Jesus Christ had a blue tick.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2023 05:41 pm
I can't post links right now, but there's a story in the Guardian about how forthcoming EU legislation will affect internet giants like Facebook, Google, TikTok and Twitter.

It's thought Twiter is wiefully unprepared for thelegislation and will be hit with fines and possibly denial of EU service.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2023 03:08 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Have you seen the people who've died who have the statement that they are verified 'because they subscribe to Twitter Blue and have verified their phone'.

Like Kobe Bryant, Steve Jobs, , Norm Macdonald, Anthony Bourdain, Chadwick Boseman, and Michael Jackson.

Here's proof of this nonsense. Thanks HH for bringing this news to the thread.

Twitter claims dead celebs are subscribing to Blue from beyond the grave
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2023 08:48 pm
@izzythepush,
We can only hope he remains oblivious.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2023 08:51 pm
@tsarstepan,
They tweet from a Ouija Board.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2023 08:52 pm
@izzythepush,
One of the disciples removed it for him.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 13 May, 2023 08:27 am

https://iili.io/HU0ySpe.jpg
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 13 May, 2023 08:56 am
@Region Philbis,
When did Borowitz stop doing satire?
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 13 May, 2023 09:07 am
@bobsal u1553115,

he's just keepin' it real...
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 01:23:44