Oil hits $67 barrel

au1929

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 05:27 pm
The price of a barrel of oil reached $67 today and continues to rise. In tandem with it is the corresponding rise in the cost of gasoline and eventually every other commodity where the cost of energy [liquid gold] is a factor. What effect, in your opinion, will this have on the economy? In addition has the cost of gasoline caused you to change your driving habits?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 775 • Replies: 5
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 05:43 pm
I'm seeing regular at $2.49 this week. I started planning better to combine trips when it hit $1.73. I did take the trip in July I had been planning, since it involved other people. I might not make such plans today.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 06:42 am
http://skeptically.org/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/suv-econ-gas-pump.jpg
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 07:46 am
Smile I like that comic.

Oh boy...I do hope we can mass-produce a cheap alternative to oil before we run out of it.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 07:57 am
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...move along folks, nothing to see here.
0 Replies

RfromP

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 12:34 am
I'm still puzzled as to WHY such a rapid and dramatic increase. Two years ago gasoline was $1.25 - $1.35 a gallon. Iraq was invaded and oil production was stopped. I get it, but that triggered a jump of over $1.00 a gallon? Over $1.00 a GALLON increase people. They're producing now, maybe not at previous capacity but producing still. No relief but even higher prices now?

A higher demand for oil? Now way demand jumped that considerably that price is affected so radically, I don't care how many new vehicles around the world are now on the road.

I really do hope this is the beginning of the end for oil and the stimulus for alternatives to be earnestly initiated. However, I'm afraid as long as Washington is infected by the oil lobby the only winner will be the oil conglomerate.

I don't feel bad for US automakers who I expect to be down to 1 or 2 in less than ten years. It's their own damned fault for producing almost exclusively gas guzzlers. Honda alone is coming out with 10 (!) hybrid vehicles compared to the two or three hybrids from US companies. Big profits now, annihilation later.

What bothers me most is how it seems everyone has accepted this predicament without question.

In my lifetime I wish I would get to see worldwide oil supplies exhausted. Middle East nations wouldn't have much, if any, of the influence they now enjoy and the Mother Nature would get a much needed reprieve.
0 Replies