just curious

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 02:02 am
Hey I'm just curious about why there are a lot of Irish-Italian intermarriages and a lot of mixed irish-Italians themselves, out there. I know of and have quite a few friends who are of this interesting ethicity. Iit's rather interesting why this mixture is very common. Does anyone here know how this all started? Are there any Irish-Italians on able2ask who would love to share their thoughts on this topic? I'm very fascinated by both cultures and and the two make an awesome combination, first of all I find many of them to be family-minded people, and I like this! Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,030 • Replies: 8
No top replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 07:51 am
the obvious reason is that Irish & Italians tend to be Catholic, but it would be interesting to know if there are other reasons. i also wonder if Hispanic intermarriages with Irish & Italian are more common than other kinds of intermarriage, because of shared religion.
0 Replies

shortncute11185

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 11:16 am
Yes the Irish-Italian intermarrage w/ Hispanics wuld be interesting to learn about too!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 12:13 pm
I'll bet you live in the North East, right?

I've seen that a lot. Mostly Italian men with Irish woman.

I remember a scene in the Sopranos where Dr. Melfi said something about worshipping the freckle.

I think an Italian man likes the challenge of an Irish woman. Back in the 70's & 80'sa the Irish girls were more likely, if not to wait until the marriage bed, at least they waited until they had their hooks in pretty deep.

Why do Irish woman go for Italian men? What's not to like?

Funny - My husbands doctor is from Milan. I knew he was married, and assumed he married in Italy.
I learned his wife grew up here, last name? O'hara.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 12:33 pm
Well, immigration to similar and nearby neighborhoods in the United States (not sure about italian immigration into Canada) at around the same time in history..

I'm not sure of the timing of various immigration waves, except the post famine wave of irish in the mid eighteen hundreds; I am presuming the italians followed the irish in time, possibly by a lot of time.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 12:47 pm
I am Irish-Italian mix. I wonder if also that many of these groups originally settled near each other. Lots of Irish and Italians in the Boston area for example.

Funny Chai - my family is mostly Irish men with Italian women.

Also, by the way my Irish-Italian brother married a Hispanic woman. Although neither really practices their religion. Also funny to note, is that I remain Christian, but no longer consider myself Catholic.
0 Replies

shortncute11185

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 05:30 am
In addition to the people of Hispanic origin it would be interesting to learn more about (the stats) of mixed Irish-Italian intermarriage with the African-American, Asian and Native American populations. Smile
0 Replies

shortncute11185

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 05:38 am
THE UNITED STATES IS BY FAR THE MOST ETHNICALLY DIVERSE NATIONS IN THE WORLD (IT'S WAY UP THERE ON THE LIST ANYWAY) AND THAT'S ONE OF THE BEST THINGS ABOUT LIVING IN THIS COUNTRY. Very Happy
0 Replies

shortncute11185

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 02:22 pm
As far as celebrities go, there are quite a lot of Irish-Italians in the acting industry....one of my favorite actors (who actually happens to be 3/4 Irish and just 1/4 Italian although he's commonly regarded by the media and general public as an Italian-American, given his surname)....Robert DeNiro, whose paternal grandfather was Italian and learned how to speak the language from him, as showed in 'The Godfather: Part II' one of my favorite movies of all time!
0 Replies