I'm craving some delicious Dirt! ...with ranch on the side.

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 11:24 am
I can honestly say that no one I know has ever heard someone say that.

In my pregnancy calendar, it says:

Quote:
Watch out for unusual cravings for items such as dirt, laundry startch, or ice chips. The name for these types of cravings is pica which is caused by an iron-deficiency.

The only thing I'm craving ...EVERY TIME WE GO OUT.... is chicken fingers. My husband is embarrassed when we go to a nice Mexican restaurant and then recommend it the next day.

Me: Oh we had mexican last night. I had the best chicken fingers ever.

Or if I have Mexican, I ask them to substitute the beans and rice for french fries with extra honey mustard.

Hey, I know what I want. Wink
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,151 • Replies: 28
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 11:29 am
It's the lucky husband whose pregnant wife craves tube steak.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 11:30 am
I've read that some women crave dirt when pregnant. I can honestly say I don't know anyone who has.

But pancakes... that's a whole other story.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 11:31 am
my craving was chocolate chip cookies with ranch dressing, watermelon, more watermelon topped with watermelon
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 11:33 am
Son = pancakes and ice cream (horrendous weight gain)
Daughter = peanut butter and honey sandwiches and caesar salad
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 11:37 am
Did I read that right?

Quote:
chocolate chip cookies with ranch dressing

oh my. Laughing Wink
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 11:37 am
My husband has definitely put on his share of sympathy weight or whatever it's called. He's put on a little more than I have since we found out.... lol
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 11:49 am
Man you hormonal women are a tough audience. Can't buy a laugh around here. Wink
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 11:56 am
Cracker jacks and mac N cheese. But not together - oh and chocolate milkshakes were all things I craved.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 11:56 am
One of my best friends had a craving for Spam in the middle of her first pregnancy. Slapped her husband, hard, when he touched the can.

A colleague of mine who delivered 4 weeks ago wanted pistachio ice cream, and pepperoni pizza, together, in the middle of the night about a month before delivery. Cried til her husband went out to get both. In a rainstorm. She tried to go out to get them herself, but he reminded her that she doesn't drive.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 12:06 pm
I think I'm going to barf now after reading those combos ehbeth.

And what's wrong with some fried spam mixed in with rice? Shocked Cool
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 12:09 pm
Sitting next to B during that pregnancy was brutal.

I gagged more than a couple of times with the things she wanted to share with me. Luckily, she'd usually polish things off so quickly (16 sausage links one morning) that I didn't have to actually eat the stuff.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 01:01 pm
I remember one night having such a craving for mac N cheese I thought I was going to die. My husband refused to go out for such a crazy thing. So I said I'm going. He convinced me otherwise - huge pregnant woman driving around like a maniac trying to find some place that has mac N cheese in the middle of the night.

I settled for some white rice drenched in butter.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 01:06 pm
cjhsa wrote:
It's the lucky husband whose pregnant wife craves tube steak.

Or swingin' sirloin.

My husand from Ill Noise, calls it Illinos Rolled Roast.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 01:17 pm
yes Jo. chocolate chip cookies + ranch dressing.
i still sneak a taste of that every now and then.
it really isnt that bad. Just a little.. wierd...

7mos on you will crave fat grease and sugar. That is when the wierd combos come up and the strange eating habits begin. In that phase, the brain of the child is growing rapidly. More so then any other organ. It thrives and strips the moms body of fat and sugar. Dont be surprised if your diet consists of cake for breakfast, snack and dinner. Lunch is lard over white sugar topped with some hamburger.

these were my saving grace.
http://www.planetdan.net/pics/misc/zebra.jpg
I think I made little debbies' Stock go through the roof my last few months of pregnancy.. I probaly ate 5 a day.. LITERALLY!
0 Replies

Bekaboo

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 03:22 am
rofl ah ehBeth that's brilliant

It's an odd thing everyone talks about cravings but when we were about 12 we all started talking in school and all realised we didn't know what our mum's had craved... so we all asked. And i'm pretty sure that the across the board answer was i-had-no-cravings. Apart from I think J's mum wanted something called... tiger icecream maybe. Like orange and liquorice - eww

Anyone the other thing that was common apart from I-had-no-cravings was I-couldn't-drink-tea-or-coffee-because-they-tasted-like-cat's-pee-for-9-months... You'd be amazed how much Lucozade a pregnant woman can drink!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 07:38 am
Speaking of things you could not stand when you were pregnant - the smell of vanilla made me feel sick.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 08:08 am
I remember stuff that made me feel sick better than cravings, though I think I had them. My staff/ clients would have potlucks on Fridays and one of my clients would bring home-made sushi -- ADORED it when I wasn't pregnant, had to leave the building when I was.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 08:11 am
I had to leave coffee alone for 9 months. It made my stomach so sick i couldnt stand it. The smell made me want to barf.
Of course it wasnt good for the baby anyways.. but my beloved morning beverage >sigh<

scrambled eggs smelled like wet dog to me then too.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 08:12 am
Mrs. Drew has had a different experience this pregnancy than the last. This time she was on Pre-natal vitamins prior to becoming pregnant and has hardly had a craving.

Last time, she craved stewed okra. Constantly. I had to make a new batch every couple of days.
0 Replies