Book of the dead

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 05:36 am
In the film The Others there was a scene were there was a 'Book of the Dead'.
I cant remember the full explanation for it but it was basically a photo album of dead people posed in normal ways.I think it was from the Victorian era.

Does anybody know if these this type of thing was real?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,214 • Replies: 34
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 05:47 am
I've never heard of that sort of thing, but since you've put this in the history forum, let me point out to you that motion pictures are notorious fabricators of "historical" facts, and not to be trusted. There may well have been such things, i don't deny it--and i don't confirm it either.

There are, however quite ancient documents known as Books of the Dead:

The Tibetan Book of the Dead

The Popul Vuh is sometimes referred to as the Mayan Book of the Dead, although it concerns itself with all of the Mayan mythos.

There is also an Egyptian Book of the Dead.

If you do come across something such as you describe, please post it here. I'd be interested to read about it.
0 Replies

drift

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 10:15 pm
it was more of a culture thing, not one book, but more like one book per HOUSEHOLD (at least thats what the movie sugested)
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 10:36 pm
Possibly, THIS may be what you are referring to
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 10:46 pm
Be damned! Ya learn something new every day. Like Set, I was familiar with the Tibetan Book of the Dead and had a passing acquaintance with the Egyptian version, but had never heard of this bizarre Victorian custom. Thx, Intrepid. And thank you for posting the question, material girl.
0 Replies

drift

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 10:48 pm
freaky stuff indeed, lol...
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 11:34 pm
..my parents had an encyclopedia set of all things 'country and western' and in it it had photos of old amreican outlaws deceased all propped up on seats etc, so thats about all I have seen...was a bit spooky to look at.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 01:59 am
Intrepid, thats exactly what I mean.
How sad to see them, almost wish I hadnt posted the question now.
Il have a proper look when Im not feeling so queezy.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 03:39 am
Some look like they are alive.
Some are smiling.
Forgive me but some are very creepy.
So sad.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 03:42 am
How very bizarre. I am rather glad that i knew nothing of this, and regret having learned of it.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 03:45 am
As am I. However, the question was asked and deserved an answer.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 04:02 am
There is nothing to suggest that i thought otherwise.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 09:18 am
I think it's very interesting and I thank you for calling it to my attention.

In the early 19th century photography was something only the rich could afford. By mid century it had become more available. Even then though, it was reserved for important occasions and momentous events.

In a way, this custom does still exist. When my friend's baby was stillborn, the hospital and the family took photographs of the baby. At first I thought it was really morbid but I've come to understand that the photos serve a purpose.

Very interesting.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 09:35 am
I saw a programme where siamese twins died after an hour or so.The twins, while alive were being passed round to family members and at some point they slipped away,pictures were being taken before and after.
No reason why not, they are members of the family.

Although its one of my favourite eras I see the Victorian era to be a 'dark' time overflowing with mourning,ghosts,saences etc

I wasnt sure if a book of the dead was real or just something made up by the film industry.
0 Replies

drift

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 01:19 pm
whats up with this? are they making this girl take a picture with a dead relative? she appears angry to me...

http://ame2.asu.edu/projects/haunted/ISA%20index/book%20of%20the%20dead/160.jpg
0 Replies

drift

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 01:22 pm
another mad daughter...

http://ame2.asu.edu/projects/haunted/ISA%20index/book%20of%20the%20dead/94.jpg
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 01:33 pm
on the 2nd page of the pictures.....the baby sitting up in a high chair, with her eyes open....

i really couldn't breathe for a second.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 02:49 pm
drift wrote:
whats up with this? are they making this girl take a picture with a dead relative? she appears angry to me...

quote]

Exposure time for a photograph was many seconds during the 19th century. Nobody smiled for photos because their face would blur.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 03:01 pm
Say what you will about the Victorians, they were sure and certain that Death was an inevitable part of Life.

Remember the brooches made from the hair of the Dear Departed? Queen Victoria herself preserving Dear Albert's rooms and belongings just as if he were alive (with a valet whose only duty was to care for the beloved relics)? Memorial gloves for the pall bearers? Treasured Last Words?

Thought: All these "morbid" pictures could be taken before the burial service instead of interrupting the ceremony with intrusive flashbulbs. I've been to weddings where the photographers seeking to preserve the day ruined the day.

Come to think of it, I've heard of at least two videotaped funerals with copies sent to out-of-town family.

Better living through technology.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 03:10 pm
Although there is not reason to assume that the sensibilities of people in the 19th century were any different than ours, culturally they were far less sensitive. The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals had an uphill fight all the way. No one thought twice about corporal punishment of wives and children, and no one would mention it because it was not their business. Some people practiced the corporal punishment of their servants, and largely, no one objected.

Public hangings were a form of entertainment in the mind of most people. I once transcribed the manuscript journal of an Englishman who emmigrated to the United States in 1831 (just six years before Victoria ascended the throne--close enough). Before taking ship, he "went down" to London to enjoy a few days entertainment with some cousins. The highlight of the fun was a public hanging. The gentleman described the large crowd and the great fun everyone had, and then commented on the condemned. He said that the man spoke very movingly from the scaffold, protesting his innocence to the very end--and that he must have been a consumate actor, because it was obvious that he was lying, that he was guilty, otherwise, why was he to be hanged?

Different times, different values altogether . . .
0 Replies