mom vs mom-in-law

sakhi

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 10:46 pm
My mom is a difficult person - vindictive, manipulative (very fond of money), and hysterical - no one likes her. I have always hated her because she made life hell for my dad (who's a wonderful person) before she finally left him. I do not live with her but I know how to handle her. I want not to be attached to her - I just want take care of her (financially) and I'm there when she needs me. Though I "hate" her, I'm still "connected" to her and there are times when I simply miss "my mummy", her hug, her coffee….
The problem now - is that I'm unable to reciprocate the love that my mom-in-law showers on me. She's a wonderful person - sensible, generous, very loving and treats me like a daughter. She does everything that my mom should be doing now for me. Yet I can't connect to her like I do with my mom - like I when I had a fever recently, and she was looking after me so well…I was wishing my mom was there. I sometimes get unnecessarily irritated with mom-in-law yet I take so much crap from my mom. Why? It's because (I guess) I have childhood memories and a bond with my mom. No one has noticed all this, however, I hate myself for giving a wonderful person (my mom-in-law) less value than a horrible person (my mom). Does this happen to everyone? Is a biological bond so important Sad? Should I make a renewed effort to really love my mom-in-law? Or should I let things be?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 711 • Replies: 1
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 06:18 am
Well, your mother and your mother-in-law are always going to be different to you. No matter what, your mother was there first, plus there's a genetic bond. Such is not the case with in-laws.

But I'm glad that your mother-in-law is so wonderful. There's nothing like having a good mother (or father)-in-law and when you don't have one, life can be so much more difficult.

One thing you might want to do is try to have some personal time with your mother-in-law. Just the two of you. Not your mother and not your husband. Go shopping, see an art exhibit, have lunch, whatever floats your boat. Get to know her as a person and less as the mother who came with your husband. I believe your relationship with her will grow into a version of a good friendship, which is a wonderful thing -- but often it helps to nudge that along by taking the initiative and creating friendship-promoting scenarios.
0 Replies