Once a cheater always a cheater?

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 01:22 pm
My girlfriend and I always give this advice to friends who have a partner with questionable faithfulness--"Once a cheater. always a cheater"? Is this sound advice?
In my understanding of men/women who cheat, it seems to hold true. But then again, I never follow them through the course of their lives.
Are there any reformed cheaters in the crowd, or any one-time and one-time-only cheaters?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,080 • Replies: 12
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 02:15 pm
I don't think it's a one-size fits all response.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 02:50 pm
I dont either.
I cheated once in a relationship I had about 8-9 years ago.
I think I was 20? maybe 21?
One time thing, never said anything. Im not in that relationship anymore so things are a bit diffrent now.
But I wouldnt cheat again. It wasnt something I regreted doing in the situation then, but not a choice I would make again- if that makes sense?
0 Replies

Nothamster9935

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 04:30 pm
I think that yes "once a cheater, always a cheater" is a valid saying although as already mentioned one size does not fit all. If for example you cheated on someone many years ago especially in your formative years(late teens/early 20s) then the saying may not hold true. If however someone has shown a clear pattern of cheating and the lies associated with cheating and especially if they are unapologetic about it, it indicates that they will probably cheat again.
0 Replies

Bekaboo

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 10:45 am
My ex had cheated with HIS ex - not like a repeated thing just a one night mistake.

Jo's best mate didn't like Dickey... so she got him very drunk and set him up with someone else. He kissed her once FREAKED out and ran away home

Funnily enough he's never cheated again
0 Replies

Nothamster9935

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 10:56 am
Bekaboo wrote:
My ex had cheated with HIS ex - not like a repeated thing just a one night mistake.

Jo's best mate didn't like Dickey... so she got him very drunk and set him up with someone else. He kissed her once FREAKED out and ran away home

Funnily enough he's never cheated again

I am not sure that kissing someone once can be classified as cheating.

Cheating in the classic sense involves intercourse or something close to intercourse e.g. oral sex, hand job, overt sexual act. Is cybersex and online flirting cheating? My opinion is that it is a form of cheating although much more forgivable than actual physical contact.

I suppose we could start a whole new thread about what is classified as cheating.
0 Replies

MorningDew

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 01:38 pm
So, Not, I assume you did kiss other women while you were still with your partner together? Interesting, throw the first stone if not, or if you NEVER checked women´s singles ad while still living with her, and eating from her table. Worse than supposed cheaters are those who judge and do the same below the table. Shame on you.
0 Replies

Bekaboo

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 03:40 am
Why can't it be classed as cheating?

Ok i'll admit that I always worked on the basis that kissing was forgiveable and nothing more. So maybe the fact that i'd be prepared to forgive it discounts it as cheating.

But look at the word - cheating means not playing by the rules, it means doing things that aren't allowed. You're telling me that you wouldn't be mortified and angry if your partner kissed somebody else? If it would upset your partner then it's cheating.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 03:43 am
Kissing is definately cheating!!
0 Replies

Nothamster9935

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 06:13 am
material girl wrote:
Kissing is definately cheating!!

Ok, I will concede that point. I just thought that kissing her once and freaking out did not classify the guy as a cheater.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 07:15 am
To me cheating is doing something sexual with somone else.

Im assuming the kiss wasnt the type he would give to his Grandma.
0 Replies

Bekaboo

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 11:29 am
Hehe no this was not a grandma kiss
0 Replies

MorningDew

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 01:58 pm
Emotional cheating
Cheating is not only physical, but emotional. I would get concerned if I find that my partner has been visiting singles'ads websites of women in his area, and he has been looking repeatedly at their pics.
This happened to me, when I asked why? he said he was just having fun (?). When I asked him why, he took it as pretext, yelled at me and left my house. I.e. he knew he was doing something wrong, he knew he was cheating (at least emotionally). Otherwise he would not have yelled and left the way he did.

However, do not complain much if your guy/gal starts flirting with other. Obviously something is missing or something is not working. Maybe you (whoever) take him/her for granted and don't take care of the rel. anymore...people need attention and love reafirmation. Anyone would go away with mistreatments (especially verbal), and indifference.

So, look at both sides....I think.
0 Replies