What's the proper way to fix a broken tread on a non-electric treadmill?

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2022 08:55 pm
Hi. I have a Foldaway Exertrack brand treadmill. I was using it till the tread on it broke and came off. The tread is rubber and/or plastic.

The treadmill is an old-fashioned non-electric one.

What is the proper way to fix the tread on the treadmill?

I tried using packing tape to hold the treadmill on the treadmill together but that didn't work. I tried using Gorilla Tape brand black mini duct tape to-go, because I thought it was heavy-duty and industrial, but that didn't last a long time.

I want to use Flex Glue brand strong rubberized waterproof adhesive since that works on both rubber and plastic.

With this work?

Will gluing the two ends of the tread together after putting the tread back on the treadmill work?

Should I buy and use a stronger tape?

I don't want to have to buy a replacement tread if I can fix the one I have.

Please help. Thank you.

engineer

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2022 06:37 am
@JGoldman10,
I think the stresses you generate in the tread are much more than you can fix with just tape. If you are determined not to buy a new tread, I would put a layer of strong tape across it then sew it in place on both sides at least an inch up from the tear and across the entire width of the belt. This could weaken the belt further and cause another tear where the sew line is or could hold it in place. Your best bet is to buy a new belt.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2022 09:02 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I think the stresses you generate in the tread are much more than you can fix with just tape. If you are determined not to buy a new tread, I would put a layer of strong tape across it then sew it in place on both sides at least an inch up from the tear and across the entire width of the belt. This could weaken the belt further and cause another tear where the sew line is or could hold it in place. Your best bet is to buy a new belt.

This and only this.
All else could lead to injury and/or further damage to nearby property.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2022 11:47 pm
@engineer,
Hi. I apologize for the late reply. You can sew rubber and/or plastic?

How do you do that?

They DO make tape for treadmill belts.

Do you know specifically what kind of tape I should get?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2022 03:37 pm
@engineer,
The treadmill I have looks something like this:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/6465/mqwERu.jpg

but going by what I could find online I don't think they make this brand of treadmill anymore. This seems to be the only image of the treadmill of this specific brand that I could find and I couldn't find much info about it.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2022 06:30 pm
I will take the treadmill belt I have to my nearest hardware store and ask them what tape and/or glue I should use for it and ask them about sewing it.
0 Replies