My "u" key on my laptop keyboard doesn't work. How do I fix this?

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2021 05:57 am
Hi. I have a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E530 laptop. I do a lot of typing on it. I don't know what happened but the "u" stopped working. How do I fix this?

I have tried troubleshooting this using resources online. I tried disabling Sticky Keys and doing other things in my computer to try to fix the problem on my own. I have cleaned my keyboard and the "u" key still isn't working.

I was thinking maybe I should call Lenovo and ask them to help me fix it. Should I do that? Or should I call my nearest comp shop and ask them if they can fix my laptop and if so, ask how much it would cost for them to fix it?

I don't like having to use a virtual keyboard. I have used that and it's too cumbersome. When I want to use a "u" or "U" when I type I scroll over and highlight a "u" or "U" from online text and cut and paste "u" or "U" from online text using "Control C" and "Control V", but this can be a pain in the butt too when I want to alternate between "u" and "U"; it also takes up too much time having to correctly spell words my laptop highlights for me when I am typing.

Please help. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,499 • Replies: 12

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2021 06:07 am
@JGoldman10,

could be some dust or food crumbs underneath.

try holding it upside down and gently shaking it.

do you own one of these?

https://iili.io/qNAL1S.jpg

give the keyboard a few blasts of air...
Tryagain

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2021 06:18 am
G'day sport, I have just had the same problem with the dingoes over on the north ranged when I exclaimed, 'Oh god what do I do now?' The answer echoed back...

Change the keyboard input sources to any other English language and try again.

- FIXED
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2021 06:39 am
@Tryagain,
Tryagain wrote:

Change the keyboard input sources to any other English language and try again.

- FIXED

I tried that and it didn't work.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2021 06:42 am
@Region Philbis,
What if I took the key off and gently clean the exposed area with a toothbrush or small brush?

Would that work?
lmur

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2021 07:21 am
@JGoldman10,
Could be God's way of saying it's not all about 'u'?
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2021 07:22 am
@lmur,
Ha ha ha. Neutral
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2021 08:28 am
@JGoldman10,

i would only try that if my other suggestions don't do the trick...
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2021 02:07 am
@Region Philbis,
I tried holding it upside down and gently shaking it. That didn't fix anything. I don't have that type of spray you posted a pic of.

My "7" key does not work either.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2021 07:21 am
@JGoldman10,
I had an issue with my keyboard similar to this- not a lenovo laptop but a dell.

started with my space bar (which you really need) Tried all the items such as cleaning, etc. It worked for a while but then stopped - I had to replace the whole keyboard, bought one online and then brought it in to be replaced. It was a bit cheaper that way but still cost a bit of money.

If you know a good computer repair place - I'd call them and ask their suggestion -they should be able to give you a quote on the what the repair would cost.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2021 07:30 am
@Linkat,
I am going to call Lenovo and my nearest local comp shop and see what they say.

I also want to contact the lady who gave me the laptop since she and her husband know a lot about computers.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2021 07:18 pm
@Linkat,
Fortunately for me I have an external keyboard that I can plug into my laptop. I can use that until I get my laptop serviced.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2021 03:41 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Fortunately for me I have an external keyboard that I can plug into my laptop. I can use that until I get my laptop serviced.

It's kind of weird having to use two keyboards but it's a temporary quick fix.
0 Replies