The 1/6 Committee Hearings

snood

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2022 04:37 am
Well, the public hearings are finally here.

My skeptical stance on the efforts or lack of efforts to bring those behind 1/6 to justice has been expressed often enough here.
But I admit to waiting with some eagerness to see what they do in the upcoming hearings.

I would be very interested to see what you all think about what you see and hear from these hearings.

I'll go ahead and tell you my worst fear about the hearings. I fear that after we all get exposed to some outrageously criminal things that went on, we will just return to the same state we began with - with an additional helping of frustration and outrage because of what we've seen. That we will be right back to wondering if the DOJ is going to do anything against Trump and the co-conspirators, and waiting to see some sign that justice is coming.
Wondering and waiting.

Well anyway...
What do you expect to see and hear?
What do you think will be the effect of the public being exposed to all that went on?
Will you be watching it as must see TV, or just occasionally checking headlines to catch the latest?
More later...

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 16 • Views: 3,941 • Replies: 161

Real Music

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2022 07:27 am
@snood,
1. I am eager to see the hearing tonight.

2. Remember, the actual purpose of having a (public) hearing is to inform
and educate the (public)

3. That is the real objective of having a public hearing.

4. This is not the DOJ.

5. I suspect that there will be DOJ officials watching the hearing.

6. Also, I suspect that the DOJ may end up requesting evidence that has been gathered
by the Jan. 6th committee.

7. I also suspect that the Jan 6 committee will end up sending over criminal referrals to the DOJ.

8. I have no idea who the DOJ plans on indicting or prosecuting.

9. There may be high level officials. Maybe, maybe not.

10. There may be elected officials. Maybe, maybe not.

11. There be low level people. Maybe, maybe not.

12. There may be foot soldiers. Maybe, maybe not.

13. Regardless to what actions the DOJ plans on taking, the public will still be informed
and educated on the evidence gathered by the Jan 6th committee.

14. I suspect the public will learn new information that has not yet been made public.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2022 10:20 am
Tonight will be a real eye opener for sure and I'll be watching. I for one hope in earnest that at the conclusion of these hearings Donald J. Trump is found guilty & imprisoned for the rest of his life. But like you I'm skeptical.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2022 07:03 pm
So far nothing I haven’t seen before. I’m considering getting out of the US, we’re pretty fucked up.
snood

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2022 08:21 pm
I don't know who among us has ever watched the footage of the Jim Jones/ Guyana Mass Suicide from 1978. But watching and listening to Donald Trump on 1/6 reminded me of the maniacal Jones. Both men, on the day when the incidents they inspired were happening, stood with a microphone in hand and encouraged insanity. Jones was saying "Hurry, children, hurry! They are not going to let us live in love, so let's die in love. We have to do this thing together now." Trump was saying "You've got to take your country back, and you have to be strong! Mike Pence has to do the right thing!"

I know, I know. One thing was an atrocity that killed hundreds. The other was just incitement to overthrow a government. But the authoritative, fatherly, INSANE tone of the men behind the events was similar.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2022 08:36 pm
@jcboy,
Quote:
So far nothing I haven’t seen before. I’m considering getting out of the US, we’re pretty fucked up.

1. This was only the opening day of the hearing. Mostly opening statements.

2. They essentially laid out what you they will be presented throughout this public hearing.

3. I think the hearing will last for approximately a week and a half.

4. I think there will be 4 to 6 actual days of the hearing. I'm not sure.

5. I think day 2 of this public hearing will be monday, June 13.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2022 09:19 pm
@snood,
1. I truly thank Capitol police Officer Caroline Edwards for her bravery, her courage,
and her service to our country.

2. I also thank her fellow police officers for their bravery and courage on that dreadful day
of our nation's history.

3. I am grateful that we had the honor and opportunity to hear her speak in her own words.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2022 10:47 pm
At first Hearing, Jan. 6 panel uses Trump's Allies to lay out case against him

Published June 9, 2022

Quote:
The House Select Committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol began making their case for Donald Trump’s culpability for the deadly riot Thursday night, using testimony from members of his own administration to argue that the former President was behind a coordinated conspiracy to overturn the 2020 election and block the transfer of power to Joe Biden.

Within minutes of the start of the primetime hearing, which all but one of the major broadcast networks aired live, Rep. Bennie Thompson, Democrat of Mississippi and the committee’s chairman, aired the first footage from a former Trump White House official explaining under oath that they had informed the president that his claims of widespread voter fraud were false.

“I made it clear I did not agree with the idea of saying the election was stolen and putting out this stuff, which I told the president was bullshit,” former Attorney General William Barr told committee investigators in taped testimony, referring to a December 2020 meeting with Trump. “And I didn’t want to be a part of it.”

The committee later aired footage from a deposition with the president’s own daughter and special adviser, Ivanka Trump, who was present for that meeting and told the committee she took Barr’s comments seriously. “It affected my perspective,” she said. “I respect Attorney General Barr, so I accepted what he was saying.”

The revelations were among the most explosive and significant of the evening. Legal experts and former prosecutors have said that any evidence that Trump was informed that he was spreading a lie to prevent Congress from certifying Biden’s election victory could implicate him on charges of intent to defraud. “It’s really important if you can prove he knew he lost, that helps bolster claims of corrupt intent and fraudulent intent,” Barbara McQuade, a former U.S. attorney and now a law professor at the University of Michigan, told TIME in April.

Other testimony from former administration officials demonstrated how Trump and his closest confidants were actively looking for ways to subvert the election outcome. Alex Cannon, Trump’s top campaign lawyer, recalled a December 2020 conversation with the president’s chief of staff, Mark Meadows, who asked what they had dug up to challenge the election results of decisive swing states. “We weren’t finding anything that was sufficient to change the results in key states,” Cannon told the panel. “So there’s no there there?” Meadows replied, according to Cannon.

The committee also sought to provide evidence that Trump did not take action to stop the Capitol attack as it was unfolding, even expressing approval as the mayhem unfolded. The crowd in the Cannon House Office Building hearing room collectively gasped when Rep. Liz Cheney, Republican from Wyoming and vice chair of the panel, shared testimony with the committee from inside the White House that Trump told his staff after the mob started chants to hang Vice President Mike Pence: “Maybe our supporters have the right idea. Mike Pence deserves it.”

Committee members have said the six hearings would play out almost like a Netflix series. On Thursday night, Thompson and Cheney telegraphed threads of a conspiracy they intend to bring to light over five subsequent hearings, showing how members of two far-right groups in particular, the Proud Boys and the Oath Keepers, were working well in advance to prepare for the Capitol invasion, with much of those efforts spurred by Trump’s statements. On Tuesday, the Justice Department indicted five members of the Proud Boys on counts of seditious conspiracy—a charge that carries a maximum sentence of 20 years in jail.

One of the most evocative moments of the first hearing was when the committee showed harrowing documentary footage of the Jan. 6 attack, interspersed with clips of Trump’s speech at a rally near the White House and screenshots of his tweets throughout the day. As the Capitol was under attack—and the building was breached by violent insurrectionists—Trump refused to call in the military or National Guard to protect Congress, leaving the vice president to do so instead.

“Trump gave no order to deploy the National Guard that day, and made no effort to work with the Department of Justice to coordinate and deploy law enforcement assets,” Cheney said. “But Mike Pence did each of those things.”

The video footage stirred many of the Capitol Hill police officers who attended the hearing and had to relive the trauma of the attack. “I can’t say I’m surprised anymore,” one of the officers, Harry Dunn, told TIME after the hearing, referring to the revelation of Trump’s refusal to call for reinforcements. “You’ve got a job to protect not just us but this country and you didn’t.”

Cheney said there was evidence presented to the committee to prove that Trump was aware that the crowd that showed up to support him that day was likely to turn violent but chose to whip them up anyway. “The White House was receiving specific reports, including during Trump’s Ellipse rally, that elements in the crowd were preparing for violence.”

Committee members wanted to convey that these were intentional choices by the president to prevent Biden’s election certification, triggering a failure in the Electoral College that Trump hoped would lead to a contingent election in the House of Representatives. It was through that scenario that Trump’s allies, such as law professor John Eastman, intended to bring in a new slate of electors who would reinstall Trump as president.

“All Americans should keep in mind this fact,” Cheney said. “On the morning of Jan. 6, Donald Trump’s intention was to remain President of the United States despite the lawful outcome of the election.”

The video presentation also showed how Trump’s remarks in the first 2020 presidential debate—telling the Proud Boys to “stand back and stand by”—led to increased membership in the far-right extremist group and energized its leaders to fight against a Trump election loss.

The violent role of the Proud Boys took center stage during the final portion of Thursday’s hearing, when two witnesses testified in person. Caroline Edwards, a U.S. Capitol Police Officer who sustained a brain injury from the attack, described the moment when insurrectionists moved to breach the Capitol as a “war scene,” providing vivid and at times graphic detail of the onslaught. “It was something like I had seen out of the movies,” she said. “I couldn’t believe my eyes. There were officers on the ground. They were bleeding, they were throwing up. I mean, I saw friends with blood all over their faces. I was slipping in people’s blood.”

Filmmaker Nick Quested, who followed the Proud Boys in the days leading up to the attack, was the second witness. Much of the documentary footage the committee aired was shot by him. “I documented the crowd turn from protestors, to rioters, to insurrectionists,” he told the House panel.

Thompson told reporters after the hearing that the aim of the first session was to stick with the facts the investigation uncovered. “We made a conscious effort to only put on what we could prove,” he said. Yet that is unlikely to sway the majority of Republican leaders who continue to downplay the severity of the attack, leaving the door open, some committee members have said, for such an episode to repeat itself.

Toward the end of the 11-minute video presentation—as insurrectionists could be seen beating police officers and breaking through the windows of the Capitol—the montage reached its dramatic climax by playing audio from remarks Trump made months later. “They were peaceful people. These were great people,” he said of the rioters. “The love in the air—I’ve never seen anything like it.”

https://time.com/6186333/jan-6-hearing-recap-day-one/#:~:text=One%20of%20the%20most%20evocative%20portions%20of%20the,should%20keep%20in%20mind%20this%20fact%2C%E2%80%9D%20Cheney%20said.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2022 03:26 am
Quote:
“Tonight, I say this to my Republican colleagues who are defending the indefensible: There will come a day when Donald Trump is gone, but your dishonor will remain.”

So Representative Liz Cheney (R-WY), vice chair of the House Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the U.S. Capitol, damned her Republican colleagues at tonight's first hearing on the January 6 insurrection.

And that was only a piece of what we heard tonight.

Calmly, carefully, convincingly, and in plain, easy to understand language, committee leaders Bennie Thompson (D-MS) and Cheney placed former president Donald Trump at the center of an attempt to overturn our democracy. They were very clear that what happened on January 6 was an attempted coup, an “attempt to undermine the will of the people.” All Americans should remember, they reminded us, that on the morning of January 6, Donald Trump intended to remain president, despite his loss in the 2020 election and his constitutional obligation to step down in favor of President-elect Joseph R. Biden, as every president before him had done.

The committee established that there was no fraud in the 2020 election that would have changed the results of the election, showing testimony from Trump’s attorney general Bill Barr that the argument that Trump had won was “bullsh*t.” The committee presented testimony from other administration figures, including Trump’s chief of staff Mark Meadows and his daughter Ivanka, that Trump had been told repeatedly that he had lost. And yet, even with his inner circle telling him he had lost, and even with more than 60 failed lawsuits over the election, Trump continued to lie that he had been cheated of victory.

It was Trump who “summoned the mob, assembled the mob, and lit the flame” for January 6, the committee says. Unable to accept his loss and determined to remain in power, Trump organized and deployed an attack on our democracy.

The committee established that the attack on the Capitol was not a random, spontaneous uprising. The rioters came at Trump’s invitation. While they had been muttering about the results since immediately after the election, it was Trump’s tweet of December 19, 2020, that lit the fuse. That night, the former president met with lawyers Sidney Powell and Rudy Giuliani, former national security advisor Michael Flynn, and others at the White House. Shortly after the meeting, Trump tweeted that it was “[s]tatistically impossible to have lost the 2020 election. Big protest in D.C. on January 6th. Be there, will be wild!”

Members of the extremist organizations the Proud Boys and the Oath Keepers took Trump’s December 19th tweet as a call to arms. On December 20, they began to organize to go to Washington. These radical white supremacists had taken great pride in Trump’s shout-out in a presidential debate on September 29 that the Proud Boys should “stand back and stand by.” After that comment, membership in the Proud Boys had tripled.

Members of the Proud Boys and the Oath Keepers testified that they went to Washington because Trump personally asked them to. “Trump has only asked me for two things,” one man testified: “my vote, and he asked me to come on January 6.”

The committee provided evidence that 250 to 300 Proud Boys arrived in Washington to stop the counting of the electoral votes. Nick Quested, a documentary filmmaker working to film the gang, testified that the riot was not spontaneous: the Proud Boys, who were allegedly in Washington to hear Trump speak, walked away from the rally at the Ellipse even before then-president Trump spoke, walking to the Capitol and checking out the police presence there. The Oath Keepers, too, were in Washington to stop the count and were expecting Trump to invoke the Insurrection Act, enabling them to fight for him to remain president.

The groups quite deliberately fought their way into the Capitol in a planned and coordinated attack. Meanwhile, Trump continued to stoke the crowd’s fury at then–vice president Mike Pence for refusing to overturn the election in his role as the person in charge of counting the certified electoral votes. The rioters stormed the Capitol and went in search of Pence and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), their calls for “Oh, Nancy,” echoing like the singsong chant from a horror movie. When he learned that the rioters were chanting “Hang Mike Pence,” the president said: “Maybe our supporters have the right idea.” He said that Pence “deserves it.”

Videos of the violence outside the Capitol further undercut the attempt of Republicans to downplay the rioters as “tourists.” Asked by Thompson if any one memory from January 6 stood out to her, Officer Caroline Edwards, who fought to protect the Capitol, said yes: the scene of “carnage” and “chaos.” It was like a war scene from the movies, she said, with officers bleeding on the ground, vomiting. She was slipping in people’s blood, catching people as they fell. “Never in my wildest dreams did I think… I would find myself in the middle of a battle,” she said. More than 100 police officers were wounded in the fighting, attacked with cudgels and bear spray, and at least nine people died then and immediately after.

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) was only one of many people caught up in the violence to contact Trump and beg him to call off the rioters. Clearly, Republicans as well as Democrats knew the mob were his people and that they would respond to his instructions. And yet, he refused. He did nothing to call out the military or the National Guard to defend the Capitol.

Ultimately, those requests came from Vice President Pence, in what appears so far to be an unexplained breakdown in the usual chain of command. Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Mark Milley testified that Pence was very clear that the military needed to turn up and fast to “put down this situation.” In contrast, Meadows talked to Milley not about protecting the Capitol, but to say “we have to kill the narrative that the vice president is making all the decisions.” Milley said he saw this as “politics, politics, politics.”

After the attempt to overturn the election and keep Trump in power had failed, according to Cheney, Representative Scott Perry (R-PA) and “multiple other Republican congressmen” tried to get Trump to pardon them for their participation. While they are now insisting they did nothing wrong, the requests for a presidential pardon show that they were aware that they were in trouble.

After the hearing, CNN congressional correspondent Ryan Nobles talked to Representative Adam Schiff (D-CA), who is on the committee. “It’s actually a pretty simple story of a president who lost, who couldn’t stand losing, who cared nothing about the constitution and was determined to hold on to power and who incited a mob when everything else failed,” Schiff said.

The hearing provided some new information about the January 6 coup attempt that had not previously been publicly available. It also put what we already knew into a clear and compelling narrative using the words of Trump’s own advisors, including his daughter, and video previously unseen by the public. That story singled Trump out as the author of an attack on our democracy and isolated him even from those in his inner circle in a way that could weaken his influence in his party.

At the same time, the committee’s presentation was horrifying, reviving the pain of January 6 and clarifying it by bringing together the many different storylines that we have previously seen only in isolation. The timeline juxtaposed the mob violence with Trump’s own statements about how Pence was letting them down, for example. It showed Officer Edwards being knocked unconscious while Trump claimed the mob was made up of “peaceful people… great people,” and described “the love in the air, I’ve never seen anything like it.”

Pundits had speculated before tonight’s televised hearing that it would not make compelling television, but they could not have been more wrong. The Fox News Channel, some of whose personalities were involved in the events surrounding January 6, refused to air the proceedings. Nonetheless, that channel inadvertently proved just how powerful the hearing was when it ran Tucker Carlson’s show without commercial breaks, apparently afraid that if anyone began to channel surf they might be drawn in by the hearing on other channels.

Veteran reporter Bob Woodward called the evening “historic.” Looking back at the 1954 hearings that destroyed the career of Senator Joe McCarthy by revealing that he was lying to the American public, Woodward said that tonight’s event “was the equivalent of the Army-McCarthy hearings."

hcr
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2022 03:53 am

https://iili.io/hYNIhx.jpg
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2022 12:12 pm
I wonder how this is being viewed outside the US?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2022 02:38 pm
Elie Mystal says that Merrick Garland is the audience of one that has to be convinced by the hearings.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2022 05:24 am

https://iili.io/hWIsbp.jpg
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2022 05:51 am
If Trump is not ultimately charged and brought to trial, it won’t be for lack of probable cause, or evidence, or receipts of his crimes…

It will very simply be because of the lack of will on the part of Merrick Garland.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2022 08:51 pm
1. This is just an update regarding the number of dates that will be schedule for the Jan 6 committee (public) hearing.

2. While watching the news, I heard someone say that there will be at least 7 dates for the hearing.

3. Since two dates have already concluded, that would leave at least 5 more dates.

4. I think the number of dates are fluid and no one really knows for sure how many dates will be schedule.

5. I'm not sure, I think the next hearing date is going to be Wednesday, June 15.
Real Music

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2022 09:25 pm
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/jan-6-committee-postpones-wednesday-hearing/ar-AAYrNE7?ocid=uxbndlbing

Quote:
The House committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol has postponed its Wednesday hearing slated to review former President Trump’s efforts to pressure the Justice Department to investigate his unfounded claims of election fraud.

In an advisory, the committee said its scheduled hearing on Thursday would still take place but provided no other details.

Former acting Attorney General Jeffrey Rosen, his deputy Richard Donoghue and Steven Engle, then the head of the Office of Legal Counsel, were all expected to appear before the committee on Wednesday.

“There’s no big deal, but I’ll tell you the putting together the video and exhibits is an exhausting exercise for our very small video staff. So we’re trying to — we were going to have 1-2-3 in one week and it’s just it’s too much to put it all together. So we’re trying to give them a little room to do their technical work, is mainly it,” Rep. Zoe Lofgren (D-Calif.), one of the committee’s members, said on “Morning Joe” on MSNBC on Tuesday.

Rosen and Donoghue were some of the committee’s earliest witnesses to voluntarily testify before the panel’s investigators and also spoke with the Senate Judiciary Committee for a report it released in October.

“In our third hearing, you will see that President Trump corruptly planned to replace the attorney general so the U.S. Justice Department would spread his false stolen election claims,” Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.), the vice chair of the select committee, said during the panel’s first hearing on Thursday to preview its coming work.

“In the days before Jan. 6, President Trump told his top Justice Department officials: ‘Just say the election was corrupt and leave the rest to me and the Republican congressmen.’”

Trump’s pressure campaign at the Justice Department was reported just days after President Biden took office in a New York Times report detailing a remarkable meeting during which Trump said he would install a mid-level lawyer as his attorney general in order to forward an investigation into election fraud claims in Georgia and other states.

Donoghue told the committee he told Trump, “What you are proposing is nothing less than the United States Justice Department meddling in the outcome of a presidential election.”

The delay is the latest stumbling block for the committee, after Bill Stepien, Trump’s campaign manager, failed to appear at Monday’s hearing because his wife went into labor.

The committee pivoted to showing numerous recorded clips from his prior deposition with investigators, but it delayed the hearing’s start by 45 minutes and removed one of the star witnesses from the lineup.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2022 04:49 am
@Real Music,
Quote:
I think the next hearing date is going to be Wednesday, June 15.
they cancelled today's due to needing an extra day to get video ready.

current schedule i saw is thursday 6/16, tuesday 6/21 and thursday 6/23.
all three start at 1:00 PM ET.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2022 06:02 am
My overall opinion of the hearings so far is positive. I didn’t know exactly what to do expect, but I generally like the way they’re doing it.

- I like the fact that, unlike the congressional hearings we’re used to seeing, the time is not being wasted by letting this member or that member bloviate and preen and speechify for the camera to get clips for campaign ads. I was getting a little antsy during the first day’s opening remarks, but they have kept the preening to a minimum. The remarks are all purposeful; they are all leading to or explaining the next segment of evidence.

-I like that we are getting a pretty comprehensive view of all the reasons why the committee would recommend that the DOJ indict - not saying that they will recommend it, but just that we as the public are getting a good look at what kind of corruption and crime transpired around the conspiracy to overthrow the government.

The fears I had going in to these hearings remain - that the knowledge we gain will only serve to add to the outrage and frustration that the criminals aren’t being punished.

But in the aggregate, I’m glad they’re doing the hearings, and that they are being broadcast.

Real Music

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2022 06:45 pm
@snood,
Quote:
I’m glad they’re doing the hearings, and that they are being broadcast.

1. I'm also glad they are doing the hearings.

2. I'm especially glad that it's being broadcasted for the public to see.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2022 11:44 am

what's with this guy Judge Luttig?

it's like nails on a blackboard listening to him hesitate after every few words...