Please help my mom to wake up from comma....

NoNe

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 10:25 pm
Dear forum users,
First let me introduce myself and share very diificult time of my life. I am here because of my mom who is needing help and support. I go by ~GizaGora~ and here is my true story: We are at the Hospital of Columbia-Missouri and My mom suffered cardiac arrest on June 25 th shortly after AV Node ablation. Severe hypoxic cortical brain injury. She had a history of Pulmonary hypertension and right sided heart failure. Also Arterial septal defect ASD was repaired 4 years ago. At the present time she is in a comma, but doctors thinking that she might be in a vagetate stage, wakeful unresponsiveness" a person who is neither in a coma nor conscious. Insult happened to the brain that resulted in lack of oxygen- hypoxia related to complications leading to cardiopulmonary arrest which prolonged somehow for 45 min. But docs are not sure what amount of time during those 45 mins she was able to recieve an oxygen through blood flow. When lack of blood flow to the brain ( in cardiac arresst situation) sensitivity of the brain falls bellow a critical value. This is what happened to my Mom.
I have difficulties finding information specifically pertaing to hypoxia brain injuries and clinical findings in survivors of the brain injuries. Is it possibel to campare injuries who reached a good functional recovery?
But by knowing all this I do have faith in God to be able to believe that she will recover. I am monitoring all her responses in a video camera, because doctors dont see what we are able to see all day and night. So please help us to find different but right doctors, or stories where we all can compaire survivors. And what helped people to wake up from comma?. Any information will be really heplfull and appreciated by my family and May God bless YOU ALL.
Thank U "NONE" to letting me to use your user name.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,442 • Replies: 8
No top replies

KiwiChic

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 10:42 pm
first of all my sincere thoughts to you and your family....my ex fiancee suffered a stroke due to a blood clot derived from Lupus he suffered a double stroke where the clot cut off oxygen to both sides of the brain in the thalamis region, the memory. We were told all survivors never recover to a normal life and his young life (32 yrs) would be spent in the care of others....through months of therapy and to be told he will never improve what so ever, he defied the odds and now just suffers short term memory loss.....which is still quite bad as he cant work at all, the brain takes roughly 5 years to heal, if that part has not died, if it has died that part of the brain will not rejuvenate, however the opposite side of the brain will always compensate for the other.
This may or may not help....but I wish you all the luck.
0 Replies

NoNe

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 03:47 pm
KiwiChic wrote:
first of all my sincere thoughts to you and your family....my ex fiancee suffered a stroke due to a blood clot derived from Lupus he suffered a double stroke where the clot cut off oxygen to both sides of the brain in the thalamis region, the memory. We were told all survivors never recover to a normal life and his young life (32 yrs) would be spent in the care of others....through months of therapy and to be told he will never improve what so ever, he defied the odds and now just suffers short term memory loss.....which is still quite bad as he cant work at all, the brain takes roughly 5 years to heal, if that part has not died, if it has died that part of the brain will not rejuvenate, however the opposite side of the brain will always compensate for the other.
This may or may not help....but I wish you all the luck.

Thank you for ur answer. What doctors Do u guys know who can help us? Who can help? Names, numbers, please
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 04:14 pm
I dont know where you guys are USA??..we had about 4 different Doctors and it was a hard battle, you have obviously spoken to your Moms Neurologist, my fiance was never in a coma, he could walk and talk but he made no sense due to the brain injury, our Neurologist said "imagine an old sailing ship with ropes and pulleys working all the sails, now imagine that the ropes were all cut" his brain waves were all over the place, I refused to believe it and I convinced my fiance he will get better in time which Im thankful he did, but I mostly thank our excellent physical therapist who helped us so much, but he has now left and moved to Australia I dont know where he is.
I would sit and talk to your Mom and tell her she is going to be alright, over and over again and hope that her subconcious mind will take it in somewhere, thats what I kept saying to him.
I also researched the net, as well as my entourage of friends who did the same thing, where I got to understand a lot of what the Doctors were saying, and I continously demanded answers and 2nd opinions....and if I still was not happy with that, I would find other avenues, oh yes and I also demanded copies of all hospital notes, that was very helpful to keep up with the play.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 04:23 pm
I worked for several years in the neurosurgery unit at one of the hospitals in Columbia. If your Mom is at the Uni hospital, you should be in excellent hands. In my experience, the doctors and staff were all quite competent and caring. They really know their stuff.

I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
0 Replies

NoNe

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 10:11 pm
My mom is in University hospital in Missouri-Columbia. I would like to take time to thank U all! Yes, me and my brothers,sister are all around her,keep telling her that she is doing much better and she will recover!!!She had very severe sick heart that she didnot even know at the beginning and she beat the eyes by having 4 kids with her birth deffect. Doctors thought she would not recover handle the code( cardiac arrest) but she did. Then Docs thought she would not be able to came off of ECMO machine and Ventilator, but she did. At the present time she is brain demaged, of course docs are not giving us any hope because they have to be realistic. I am personally optimist but have an understanding of real life. At the present time my family and I need to find Neurologist who can at least to be able to confermher diagnoz or advise some kind of treatments that is available somewhere. I just dont trust the doctor that is following her. I also cant understand how the hospital is wanting us to take her home with oxygen and tube feeding? I know they cant keep her there al her life.
I really need to speak with a good spesialist in Barin hypoxic injury filed. I will be able to fax any info that is reqired by docs to evaluate her diagnoz. So, please People around the World who is reading this thread help my Mom to recover and be able to come back home. I do understant it is going to be a long process but I am needing to find a rehab facilities that will take her. If some one has furder question I would be more then happy to assist with...
~GizaGora~
0 Replies

NoNe

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 07:39 am
University hospital is a teaching hospital. Whateer happened to her happended there... I dont trust them.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 10:51 am
NoNe--

I'm sorry for your mother's troubles.

You make it clear in your posts that you come from a close, loving family and that all of you find it difficult to accept that your mother has been changed and limited by her illness.

Modern medicine can't always accomplish miracles. Have you asked your mother's neurologist for a second opinion?

Frequently getting a patient out of the hospital and back in familiar surroundings is a major factor in that patient's recovery. Does your mother want to go home?
0 Replies

chanelcerezo

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2012 10:22 am
hi. how's your mom doing?i am browsing through the imternet checking on some articles about cures on coma caused by oxygen deprivation and its survival rate. i have a 54yo father who is in the same situation with your mom. his neurologists told us the same thing that was told to you. we even asked for second opinion from other neurologists and the same was said. we are starting to become so hopeless but its only God who is keeping us strong because we believe He will be the only healer of my dad. please share me any info on how we can get through this. we don't want to lose our dad and we'll do everything just for him to be cured. by the way, how's your mom doing now? i just hope she's doing alright now. thanks
0 Replies