Medical Marijuana Bill Passes

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 08:59 am
washingtonpost.com
Medical Marijuana Bill Passes - Ehrlich Voices Support For Reduced Penalties
By Lori Montgomery and Craig Whitlock - Washington Post Staff Writers
Thursday, March 27, 2003; Page B01

The Maryland General Assembly has voted to dramatically reduce penalties for cancer patients and others who smoke marijuana to relieve suffering, and Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. said yesterday that he is inclined to sign the measure.

The bill, which passed the House of Delegates last week and won final approval in the Senate yesterday, would set a fine of $100 for using marijuana out of "medical necessity." Possession otherwise carries a maximum penalty of a year in jail and a $1,000 fine.

If the bill becomes law, Maryland would become the first state to single out seriously ill marijuana users for relaxed sanctions, although some other states have done more to decriminalize medical marijuana. In recent years, eight states have legalized marijuana for medical purposes. A medical marijuana initiative also won approval from District voters but has been blocked by Congress. In addition, 21 states, including Virginia, have approved largely symbolic laws or resolutions recognizing marijuana's medical value.

White House drug policy chief John P. Walters lobbied against the Maryland measure and yesterday called on Ehrlich (R) to veto it. Walters, who has launched a campaign against efforts to relax state drug laws, said the General Assembly had been "fooled" by "drug legalizers" who are using the suffering of sick people to promote a pro-drug agenda that includes legalizing marijuana entirely.

"Unfortunately, they have snuck up on people in Maryland and used them to help the wider effort," Walters said.

Walters said he hopes "the governor will see through the con." The argument that marijuana is "a proven, efficacious medicine" makes no more sense than "an argument for medicinal crack," he said.

Supporters of the legislation say marijuana offers relief from pain and nausea to people sickened by cancer, AIDS and other illnesses or by medical treatments such as chemotherapy. The Maryland bill is named for Darrell Putman, a former Army Green Beret and Howard County Farm Bureau director who advocated legalizing marijuana for the seriously ill. Putman died of cancer in 1999.

"The Maryland legislature has shown the courage to defy the federal drug czar by reducing penalties for medical marijuana right in the back yard of a hostile White House," said Robert Kampia, executive director of the Marijuana Policy Project, a Washington nonprofit group that promotes decriminalization. "Science, compassion and common sense -- not to mention 80 percent of the American people -- are on our side."

Ehrlich, who co-sponsored a bill in Congress that would have freed states to make their own decisions on the issue, said he would review the measure. "But," he added, "I've been generally supportive of medical marijuana."

The bill that passed the Senate yesterday by a vote of 29 to 17 is far different from the original legislation, which would have legalized marijuana for victims of cancer, glaucoma, AIDS or chronic medical conditions upon the advice of a physician. A House committee completely rewrote the measure to make "medical necessity" a defense against the prosecution of marijuana possession and to establish reduced penalties if a judge is persuaded by the argument. The new bill, which does not define "medical necessity," was passed by the House in a 73 to 62 vote.

Emotions ran high during the floor debate in the Senate. Opponents called marijuana a "gateway drug" that leads to harder drugs and addiction. Supporters told of watching helplessly as relatives and friends died painful deaths and argued that marijuana could have eased their final days.

Sen. Joan Carter Conway (D-Baltimore) recalled how she had "closed the eyes" of several family members after caring for them in their dying moments. "There should be compassion and dignity when your life ends," she said.

Sen. David R. Brinkley (R-Frederick), who was found to have cancer in 1989, told how he had seen "a lot of sick people" who suffered from intense pain and a lack of appetite, something he said marijuana could alleviate. He acknowledged concerns that the state was endorsing use of an illegal product.

"You're right, it is a Catch-22," Brinkley said. "But it's a step in the right direction. These aren't the people we want to prosecute."

Opponents questioned the medical benefits of marijuana, but mostly they warned that reducing the punishment for any drug would send the wrong message to Maryland children. Marijuana is the most widely used illicit drug in the nation, according to federal officials. Sen. J. Lowell Stoltzfus (R-Somerset) said that regardless of why someone uses marijuana, the end result is to enrich drug dealers.

"Why should we funnel profits into a illegal industry?" he asked. "It's a guise to begin legalizing marijuana. That's what it's all about."

Sen. John C. Astle (D-Anne Arundel) asked whether the Senate was endorsing illegal behavior. "Where would these people acquire this marijuana?" he asked.

Sen. Brian Frosh (D-Montgomery) replied: "It's up to them. I can't think of a legal source."

Sen. Nathaniel Exum (D-Prince George's) said personal experience with someone who is terminally ill might change opponents' minds. He said that his daughter died a painful death from cancer, and that he wished marijuana had been available for her. "Only 25 years old, on her way to a very fruitful life, and we lost her," Exum said. "If we could have gotten her marijuana, we would have done that for her."

© 2003 The Washington Post Company
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,581 • Replies: 8
No top replies

babsatamelia

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 12:45 am
Yeah, once they heard Canada is legalizing the use of
cannabis, I guess the US had to stop looking like the
crazy old women during the prohibition years Laughing Laughing
The TEMPERANCE society, I think it was called.
Why does our govt try to control everything? Europe
has no speed limits on highways, and people aren't
dying from auto collisions by the droves over there.
If you're a good driver and your car can easily do
120mph, go for it. Govt is too meddlesome, and of
course there is a $$$ cut in it for everyone from the
state govt on down to the local policeman. It's about
time. Like, do WE really need to have people in prison
(costing you and I, the taxpayers) $50,000 a year
over pot?????????I don't use it, but I don't think its
a dangerous crime either. As a matter of fact, all of
these drugs should be covered constitutionally under
our freedoms and our right to happiness yada yada
yada
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 12:57 am
Quote:
The bill, which passed the House of Delegates last week and won final approval in the Senate yesterday, would set a fine of $100 for using marijuana out of "medical necessity

Sorry, but I think that is awful. Don't cancer patients have enough troubles, and medical bills, that they have to pay a fine to get relief? What a terrible double message that they are giving to cancer patients. When are they going to decriminalize the whole thing, and stop this nonsense!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 01:03 am
New South Wales - a state in Australia - will be commencing a four year medical trial of THC as an aid in pain etc associated with cancer and other wasting illnesses - (it is also, as we all know, an appetite stimulant!) Yay!!!!!

In South Australia, the Northern Territory and the Australian Capital Territory it is effectively decriminalized - possession and growing under a certain amount is treated like a speeding fine. Western Australia will soon follow suit, apparently.

Phoenix, given the USA's extreme views on drugs, I would see the bill as a HUGE step forward for your country. I imagine nothing more progressive would have got through. Hopefully, in time, it will be possible to do more...

Hasn't the US bullied Canada out of its plans to decriminalize?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 01:07 am
dlowan- Don't know about Canada. The problem with this bill is that it only applies to Maryland, which is one (tiny) state out of fifty!
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 01:17 am
Why should people be treated as human? Why?
Should we all go the way of the artist, in pain, and express ourselves? Why?

Don't you know that people are smoking embalming fluid with their Cannibis?
Good gosh, generalizations are just as good as specific accusations.

And don't you know, anyone who doesn't obey, is Evil in the biggest way?
I must regain control. Everything, and everyone. Please obey.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 01:23 am
Doctors are very leery about prescribing ANYTHING strong for pain. The reason is legal, not medical. They are scared to death by being audited by some governmental agency.

I have gone to a pain clinic, where they DO prescribe heavy duty stuff. You have to sign a paper that you will not go anywhere else for that particular medication, and they carefully document your level of pain.

It is so funny. The small percentage of people who abuse drugs have made it so difficult for people who really need strong stuff for medical reasons!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 03:07 am
Phoenix - my state was the first to do anything sensible about marijuana in this country - once one has done it, it becomes gradually more possible for others to follow suit - sadly, you have a lot more states - and some of them haven't even decriminalized homosexuality, I understand, so I guess nothing too much about marijuana will be happening in THEM!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 03:35 am
Why all the legislative confusion, when we already have Marinol on the shelves?
0 Replies