My wife is in a mental hospital because of me

Tue 3 May, 2022 11:34 am
My wife left our house after a fight & got herself admitted to a mental hospital (she suffers from PTSD and it is not her first time being in a mental hospital. However, It is the first time since we got married 3 years ago) . The fight was my fault. I kept arguing with her like a child and she got fed up with my arguments. She packed 5-days worth of her clothes while I was trying to stop her from leaving, she said she needed a break and that she does not want to be married to me anymore among other very hurtful things. I asked her where are you going? and she said her friend's house. Two hours after she left, I went to bed and then I received a message from her saying that she is being admitted to a mental hospital and she will not have her phone with her past this point. I am very devastated, sad and guilty. I called the hospital but they refused to give me any info or connect me with her. They said it is patient driven and if she wants to see me or talk to me she will reach out. I have no one to vent to (no friends or family) besides her and I don't know what to do. I miss her so much
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,014 • Replies: 2
Topic Closed
No top replies

roger

Tue 3 May, 2022 11:49 am
@blinders,
I'm very sorry to hear of this. No advice, of course, but it's rare to see some accept some blame.
0 Replies

Linkat

Tue 3 May, 2022 11:58 am
@blinders,
If your work offers you EAP - you could call them - they have people that can talk with you on the phone (counselors) that can maybe at least calm your guilt/fears. Also many health insurances now offer telehealth where you could likely talk to a counselor immediately or close to it.

I am not saying you may need counseling yourself but they can talk with you and give you a venting ground and help you work through the feelings of guilt.

I've personally used it in that way without meaning to - when calling for some other advice - they actually helped calm me down when a family member was having some mental health issues.

Yeah unfortunately where your wife is an adult - it is up to her to allow you to have any information. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be for you - I wonder if you could try to reach out to the hospital again and ask to talk to her doctor - not about your wife but to provide some detail that maybe could be helpful for your wife? You could rely what happened and how sorry you are - and the doctor could decide if giving this information to your wife would help her.
0 Replies