Slowly But Surely...Americans Wise Up

Amigo

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 02:33 am
I used to be called a traitor for saying what is now common knowledge.Whats done in the dark shall come to light.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 03:55 am
Agreed, joefromchicago.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 11:16 am
joefromchicago wrote:
sumac wrote:
Too many people in the US don't care, are uninterested, uninformed, biased, etc.

Indeed. Now if we can only convince them to stop voting.

sumac wrote:
Agreed, joefromchicago.

i understand what you guys mean. but, don't you think that it might be better to encourage more people to vote (since we have such low turnouts )? maybe see beyond whatever ideological dogma they're steeped in to think about what is good for all americans, not just their niche ?

to me, it is just bizarre that the two defining views in american society appear to be sex (along with all of it's implications) and religion. both have been flogged to death over the last 50 years.

that's it ? that's all we got goin' on ? who's doin' what with whom, and how they pray ?

if that is true, then our current society is just the flip side of the coin from the islamists.

i just think it's a more productive idea to try and get more people who have lost faith in the electoral process back into the groove and to do our best to elevate the national debate above the simplistic topics that are holding us all hostage and get on with the business of the future.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 11:25 am
If voters made real attempts to inform themselves, and IF the political parties and media didn't get in the way of their efforts, then voting might be very beneficial.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 11:28 am
sumac wrote:
If voters made real attempts to inform themselves, and IF the political parties and media didn't get in the way of their efforts, then voting might be very beneficial.

and if a frog had wings.......
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 11:42 am
David Letterman
President Bush had his annual physical a couple of days ago, and the doctors say that President Bush is likely our most fit president in the history of the United States. That's good, isn't it? That means if anything happens to Cheney, he can jump in and take over.

Bush passed his physical. No word yet on his mental.

Although doctors did caution President Bush about his posture. They noticed when he starts he tends to lean way to the right.

Jay Leno
On Tuesday, President Bush left for a five-week-long summer vacation, but the White House insists it's a "working vacation." For instance, this morning the president worked on a model airplane and a fort made out of Legos.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/07/weekinreview/07week.html
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 12:29 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
...Jay Leno
On Tuesday, President Bush left for a five-week-long summer vacation, but the White House insists it's a "working vacation." For instance, this morning the president worked on a model airplane and a fort made out of Legos.

and g.i. joes ?
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 01:15 pm
ROFLAO
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 01:24 pm
Quote:
Bush still has a little souvenir from Scotland that he has kept with him since he came home from the Group of Eight summit in July.

Brandishing a gnarly looking finger last week, Bush said he "got a little Scottish asphalt still embedded in my knuckles."

Sparking international notice, Bush wiped out on his bike and skidded on wet pavement into a Scottish policeman on foot patrol, who ended up in the hospital with minor injuries.

Bush said he recently sent the injured officer a bunch of photographs.

Last week, Bush again brushed off polls showing his public approval ratings are the lowest of his presidency, saying a politician who made decisions based on polls would be "a miserable leader."

Reminded that power is perception, Bush scoffed, "Power is being president."

Wonder if that's where people are getting the perception of arrogance? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 01:39 pm
How about the reality of the thing?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 02:10 pm
squinney wrote:
Quote:
...Reminded that power is perception, Bush scoffed, "Power is being president."

Wonder if that's where people are getting the perception of arrogance? Rolling Eyes

good grief. what a complete tool.

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/441500_lg.jpg
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 03:07 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
i understand what you guys mean. but, don't you think that it might be better to encourage more people to vote (since we have such low turnouts )?

Certainly not. We must do everything in our limited power to discourage the masses from voting. It's dangerous and it does them no good.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 03:20 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
i understand what you guys mean. but, don't you think that it might be better to encourage more people to vote (since we have such low turnouts )?

Certainly not. We must do everything in our limited power to discourage the masses from voting. It's dangerous and it does them no good.

why ?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 03:26 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

why ?

Because it isn't designed to do them any good.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 03:33 pm
It is designed to do the nation good. And the people. Are you being sarcastic?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 03:44 pm
Joe wrote

False hope is better than no hope at all. It keeps the hungry masses at bay.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 03:44 pm
sumac wrote:
It is designed to do the nation good. And the people. Are you being sarcastic?

No.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 03:48 pm
Cause we just aint smart enough to knows whatswere a doin?
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 03:57 pm
Let's all go nod and shuffle off now. Smile, everyone.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 03:58 pm
squinney wrote:
Cause we just aint smart enough to knows whatswere a doin?

naa, i don't believe that. there are really very few without the intelligence to cast an informed vote.

now lazy, yeah. there's a whole s**tload of lazy people that don't want to expend the energy to research things or think for themselves. those types prefer to have their opinions fed to them.

i also don't believe that our votes don't count. there's occasional fraud, which only works because of the above.

nope, i'd rather vote. silence is agreement.
0 Replies