Is man an evolutionary fluke?

neologist

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 09:39 pm
So, is the light bulb an evolutionary fluke?

I wish xingu could step in to explain.
0 Replies

BreatheThePoison

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 08:31 am
i think the light bulb is an evolutionary mile stone.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 02:26 pm
Or a stoplight.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 02:38 pm
I thought we were trying to decide if we were evolving into flukes, or are we in a state of flux, while some thought we were in the state of either confusion or Kansas, it's hard to tell the difference.

Joe(Wait. A break through. This baby has GE tattooed near it's navel)Nation
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 03:00 pm
Why doesn't anyone take Au1929 seriously? I do.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 03:45 pm
Merry Andrew
Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 04:24 pm
Cheer up, Au. Who loves ya'? Smile
0 Replies

BreatheThePoison

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 06:45 pm
the original question you mean merry? I believe man was created by God. and i believe that when we all eventually die we'll have the answer. if i am wrong then i lived my life feeling like an important person alive for a reason, enjoyed myself, was happy with myself an died. if iam right then all those things and i'll live on happy and what not.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 09:59 pm
I know, BTP. Especially the what not.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 11:34 am
There is no such thing as an evolutionary fluke. A fluke can only happen when there is an intent to an action but then another thing happened instead. Therefore there is no "fluke."
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 01:41 pm
Fluke;; A stroke of luck
0 Replies

Saff

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 02:53 pm
Islam agree with Darwin's evolution theory. That we may well have evolved. From homo.s'
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 11:15 am
biological error?
0 Replies

physgrad

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 01:55 pm
is man an evolutionary fluke??

No..coz that would mean that evolution had something else in mind..while i firmly believe that evolution has no mind..man is the result of several complex mutations each geared to enhance our chance for survival..

Also evolution does not need religious sanction so it seems counterproductive to introduce religion into the discussion..
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 02:04 pm
Quote:
A stroke of luck

What is luck?

In a scientific system where an effect follows a cause, luck does not exist.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 04:20 pm
cancer is to man what man is to the earth. The life expectancy of a species is about 100,000 years. In the direction were headed were going to destroy ourselves and eveything else before our time is up (remember the cuban missile crisis). just another failed mutation. Civilization is a failure.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 06:08 pm
Just to clarify what I meant earlier, luck is when a cognitive being obtain an unexpected result, but the unexpectancy is due to missing information, etc. Therefore, evolution can not be a "fluke" because there was really no cognitive being guiding it, unless there's a God or a higher force, but then there is a likely chance that it wasn't a fluke.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 11:19 pm
physgrad wrote:
is man an evolutionary fluke??

No..coz that would mean that evolution had something else in mind..while i firmly believe that evolution has no mind..man is the result of several complex mutations each geared to enhance our chance for survival..

Also evolution does not need religious sanction so it seems counterproductive to introduce religion into the discussion..

How can these be 'geared to enhance our chances of survival' if they are completely random. You are still using language that conveys purpose or causality.

Do you really think that just 'several' mutations spell the difference between man and animal?
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 01:24 pm
Is it possible for an evolutinoary fluke to happen, given enough time?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:46 pm
Amigo wrote:
cancer is to man what man is to the earth. The life expectancy of a species is about 100,000 years. In the direction were headed were going to destroy ourselves and eveything else before our time is up (remember the cuban missile crisis). just another failed mutation. Civilization is a failure.

Hmmm, I thought that evolutionists assigned humans emergence to 3 million years ago.

Failure is in the eye of the beholder, however. Failure also implies that there is a goal that has not been attained. Since Man has survived, despite your somewhat premature obituary, I wonder what other goal you might be referring to?

I thought Evolution was supposedly a blind chance process with no other goal but survival in view.
0 Replies