Is man an evolutionary fluke?

au1929

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 09:24 am
From what I read on the religion threads it is obvious that those steeped in religion believe that man has some special place in this world and was created by God to rule over his dominion. When the truth may be that man is just an animal that progressed to a higher level on the evolutionary scale.
What do you believe are we Gods special creation or just an evolutionary fluke?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,502 • Replies: 99
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 10:37 am
I don't think we are either. I think evolution works in mysterious ways.
I think we are the product of a lot of inventive thinking, sharing knowledge through language and memory and a lot of lucky happenstance.

so far so good

Joe
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 11:13 am
Biologically we are not that unique just one of a group of primates. Behaviorally we are simply at one end of a spectrum. Our behavior simply represent elaborations on capabilities also expressed in other species. What make us different is culture (symbolic thinking) and as Joe stated sharing knowledge (and storing) knowledge through language. Thats why, as far as I know, there are no Chimps on this forum only Homo sapiens..
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 11:43 am
Deteriorata (The National Lampoon, to whom the copyright.)

You are a fluke of the universe.
You have no right to be here.
Deteriorata, Deteriorata

Go placidly amidst the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof. Avoid quiet and passive persons, unless you are in need of sleep. Rotate your tires. Speak glowingly of those greater than yourself; and heed well their advice, even though they be turkeys. Know what to kiss - and when. Consider that two wrongs never make a right, but that three do. Wherever possible, put people on hold. Be comforted, that in the face of all irridity and disillusionment, and despite the changing fortunes of time, there is always a big future in computer maintenance.

Whether you can hear it or not,
The universe is laughing behind your back.

Remember the Pueblo. Strive at all times to bend, fold, spindle, and mutilate. Know yourself. If you need help, call the FBI. Exercise caution in your daily affairs, especially with those persons closest to you... That lemon on your left, for instance. Be assured that a walk through the seas of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet. Fall not in love, therefore, it will stick to your face. Gracefully surrender the things of youth: the birds, clean air, tuna, Taiwan - and let not the sands of time get in your lunch. Hire people with hooks. For a good time, call 606-4311, ask for Ken. Take heart in the deepening gloom that your dog is finally getting enough cheese. And reflect that whatever misfortune may be your lot, it could only be worse in Milwaukee.

Therefore, make peace with your god, whatever you perceive him to be: hairy thunderer or cosmic muffin. With all its hopes, dreams, promises, and urban renewal, the world continues to deteriorate. GIVE UP!

0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 02:20 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
I think evolution works in mysterious ways.
Hmm. Where have I heard that one before?
I didn't believe it then either. 'Course then it was a priest trying to convince me about the trinity or hellfire or some such 'mystery.'

If it's true, you either understand it or you don't; or you believe it or you don't. Nothin' mysterious about it.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 03:01 pm
It was a joke, a play on words with words. I should have said "Evolution works." and then made it a day.

Quote:
If it's true, you either understand it or you don't; or you believe it or you don't.

If it's true, it doesn't matter whether you believe it or understand it, it's still true.

As for us being a fluke of the universe, I like to say I'd rather be a trout, but I don't want to step on Dyslexia's lines.

==
The first time I heard the parody of Desiderata on the radio I got so angry, then I realized I had missed the point of Desiderata.
----

All the creatures of this earth are the lucky remaining contestants in an especially long game of Survivor.

Joe(did the priest explain transubstantiation?)Nation
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 03:39 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
It was a joke, a play on words with words. I should have said "Evolution works." and then made it a day.
http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/homer.gifDOH!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 04:31 pm
This is a fluke:

http://wildlife2.usask.ca/web_devel/web_dev/Sahtu/photoalbum/Parasites-liver_fluke.jpg

Man is simply here to deal with mechanics and take out the trash.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 04:53 pm
I prefer this one, for personal reasons.

http://www.seakayakalaska.com/gallery/fluke.jpg
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 05:22 pm
Hmmmm, a better choice than this:

http://www.fishingnj.org/gifs/fluke.gif
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 07:19 pm
Obviously, some are tastier than others.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 04:29 am
neologist wrote:
Obviously, some are tastier than others.

And easier to catch.

Which brings us back to the subject. How? Human beings are both difficult for most predators to catch, though lions, tigers and bears seem to do alright if determined, and, as evidenced by the spit-out rate of shark attacks, we don't taste very good, not as good as a nice fat seal or a fluke of the flattened variety. So there are two more reasons why we are still here wandering about the place.

Joe(It's difficult to sneak up on people. Try it at your office.)Nation
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 06:07 am
Banging on rocks is also an important adaptation mechanism that assisted in human development.
"How can that be " you may ask, and rightly so, but thats another story
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 06:12 am
Virtually all of the means by which early humans survived are now strongly condemned by mothers everywhere, or are actually illegal: tormenting small animals, starting fires with ordinary household items, sleeping in large groups with the dogs, running around on two legs buck nekkid . . .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 06:22 am
All the fun stopped when the first mother learned to say
Stop that, youll go crazy"
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 06:27 am
farmerman

Than someone invented eye glassses.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 06:29 am
God, you just gave me a profound insight . . . Little Thag is running around with a sharply pointed stick, playing spear the bison, and mom comes out of the hovel to shout: "Put that down this instant, Thag, you could put your eye out!" -- and it was true ! ! !

Of course, they haven't stopped saying that since then . . .
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 05:38 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
Hmmmm, a better choice than this:

http://www.fishingnj.org/gifs/fluke.gif

Certainly the right forum for a little sole searching Joe.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 05:46 pm
and the right plaice to start.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 08:01 pm
The stupid jokes here are giving me a haddock . . .
0 Replies