Yalow

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2022 07:30 pm
These are not good arguments:
asshole, bonehead, ****, ****
...and ougth to be censored.

roger

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2022 08:00 pm
@Yalow,
If you wish, you can go to your 'preferences' page and select bad word filter. You may also eliminate NSFW topics.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2022 02:17 am
@Yalow,
Bonehead has been in the news recently. He is the guitarist of Oasis and has just been diagnosed with tonsil cancer.

I wish him well, and hope he has a speedy recovery.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2022 04:49 am
@Yalow,
I disagree with you on at least the word "bonehead." Censor only when absolutely necessary, not every time you don't like something.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2022 06:13 am
@Yalow,
Not sure what you mean when you say "censored". Expletives have very distinct positions in language. They can shock, convey intense emotion and often pack lots of connotation. I rarely curse, but when I do it's intentional and focused. I wouldn't want someone to randomly ban words. You'd have to make a powerful argument to justify that. It's not just that you don't like them.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2022 06:30 am
@engineer,
As Lenny Bruce said, if you stop people saying **** you stop them saying **** the government.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2022 07:29 am
@engineer,
I am guessing she is saying in the case of arguments - at least according to the heading of the thread "Not Good Arguments". My take is she is saying in response to disagreeing calling someone a bonehead, for example, is not a good argument.

In that response I don't know if we could censor this - would be kind of difficult as using bonehead or any other terminology that you might use to call someone could be used in a different context and therefore the words themselves could be useful.

I think the best is just to ignore a response that someone gives where it is name calling or profanity.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2022 06:57 pm
I imagine this will fall on deaf ears around here, but the best remedy for bad ideas is better ideas, not censorship.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 1 May, 2022 02:25 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

I imagine this will fall on deaf ears around here, but the best remedy for bad ideas is better ideas, not censorship.

But butthole ideas need to be called out, right, for example on Covid.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 1 May, 2022 02:29 pm
@Yalow,
Yalow wrote:

These are not good arguments:
asshole, bonehead, ****, ****
...and ougth to be censored.

On their own they may not make an argument, but saying "Dammit, don't drink the ******* poison" makes for a great warning.

Your problem isn't with the words, it's the context.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 1 May, 2022 02:30 pm
@Brandon9000,
The OP called for removing foul language and name calling, not ideas. Restricting racial slurs, foul language, name calling, etc. is pretty common practice. A2K is more lax than other places.
0 Replies

Mrknowspeople

Reply Mon 2 May, 2022 10:12 pm
@Yalow,
I could bring it with ****. That's what they used to think. Asshole is too jewish and german and I don't care what you have. **** is not really a bad word as it is more hated than anything. Any other cute - bonehead. Oh, I don't get it.
0 Replies