Pop entertainment and political correctness

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2021 12:27 pm
Hi. I have seen and/or heard about and/or read about current cartoon shows being produced and being aired, on TV, online or both, and have learned about the wave of political correctness that has affected them.

In the new Looney Tunes series on HBO/Max Warner Bros. made the executive decision to strip Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam of their guns. I get they don't want to support gun use, in light of what has been going on in American society regarding guns, but what was the point of doing that when they have other weapons they can use? That makes no sense to me.

People have complained about Minerva Mink and Hello Nurse being absent from the Animaniacs reboot, which makes sense. In this day and age you can't have female characters in a kids'/family show being the butt of a lot of sexual jokes.

They should not have dirty jokes and/or any kind of lewd content in kids' cartoons anyway.

Any kind of lewd content, including jokes and fanservice, is not politically correct for current kids' cartoons, but LGBTQIA stuff is?

Cartoon makers now think you "have" to put LBGTQIA content in current kids' cartoons, comics and other media or kids won't be interested.

In The Looney Tunes Show from 2011 Warner Bros. made the executive decision to make the Goofy Gophers an openly gay couple.

I was wondering if Disney made any changes to any of their current cartoon shows because of political correctness. Apparently, yes they did:

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/05/ducktales-reboot-shows-disney-is-working-hard-to-ruin-your-childhood/

Kids don't need to be indoctrinated with any form of feminist agenda.

Would you agree political correctness is RUINING pop entertainment to an extent?

There are too many daggone snowflakes in this generation and it seems like companies are trying hard to rectify the wrongs of the past. They don't want to offend anyone or morally corrupt anyone. I assume they also don't want to get in any trouble with any censors. Censorship is not really an issue if cartoons are being shown on cable/satellite TV where censorship groups like the FCC can't touch them.

What IS allowed to be shown in current cartoons, comics and other media and what ISN'T? Is there a list of what's allowed and what isn't allowed in current entertainment aimed at kids/families/general audiences somewhere online? If so, I haven't found any such list.

I am being serious. I am wondering in this age of political correctness can I even produce the cartoons and comics I have said I wanted to produce and monetize online. There ARE content creators who have been penalized for the material they showcase on YouTube, for example.

It seems like there are parties out there that want to stifle your creativity, and if you don't comply with what THEY want you'll get penalized.

There are too many advocacy groups out there now. If you're entertaining kids, in this day and age, I was told you have to appease parents and teachers.

Please help. Thank you.

izzythepush

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2021 12:45 pm
@JGoldman10,
Kids have been indoctrinated to be straight since the year dot. See how that worked out.

It’s not indoctrination, it’s reflecting the world as it is. Or would you rather have the old Bugs Bunny cartoon where the black character is stupid, feckless, a gambler and drawn in a racist manner?

All this is is your bigotry coming out.

Live and let live.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2021 12:47 pm
@JGoldman10,
When the new wave of comedy occurred in the 80s, the old comedians complained about not being able to tell racist jokes.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2021 08:46 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Hi. I have seen and/or heard about and/or read about current cartoon shows being produced and being aired, on TV, online or both, and have learned about the wave of political correctness that has affected them.

No one is forcing you to consume them.

Quote:
In the new Looney Tunes series on HBO/Max Warner Bros. made the executive decision to strip Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam of their guns. I get they don't want to support gun use, in light of what has been going on in American society regarding guns, but what was the point of doing that when they have other weapons they can use? That makes no sense to me.

Picking and choosing? How cute. It's good that everyone must line up to your sensibilities 100%.

Quote:
They should not have dirty jokes and/or any kind of lewd content in kids' cartoons anyway.

Ya mean something that has been going on for literal decades? Double entendres in cartoons go all the way back to the 40s.

Quote:
Cartoon makers now think you "have" to put LBGTQIA content in current kids' cartoons, comics and other media or kids won't be interested.

That's called inclusion. Get used to it. And it's a bloody oversimplification and you god damn know it.

Quote:
Kids don't need to be indoctrinated with any form of feminist agenda.

Kids don't need to be indoctrinated with any form of hatemongering Evangelical agenda.

Quote:
Would you agree political correctness is RUINING pop entertainment to an extent?

NO. **** you. No.

Quote:
There are too many daggone snowflakes in this generation and it seems like companies are trying hard to rectify the wrongs of the past.

That's sweet. Six (or so) decades ago, companies held a belief that minorities like you didn't deserve the chance to be content creators. I guess you're not willing to accept that these wrongs do need rectification?

Quote:
I am being serious. I am wondering in this age of political correctness can I even produce the cartoons and comics I have said I wanted to produce and monetize online. There ARE content creators who have been penalized for the material they showcase on YouTube, for example.

Of course, you're serious. I've lost track of how many of these shitty threads you've written with basically the same question.

YouTube is privately owned. If they don't want to monetize your hatemongering? Good for them. Not that you've proven yourself to actually have any talent enough to even create anything watchable - even if you left out your Evangelical cult beliefs from your propagandistic products.

Quote:
It seems like there are parties out there that want to stifle your creativity, and if you don't comply with what THEY want you'll get penalized.

You make **** content with so much homophobic and misogynist jokes all you want. No one has to tolerate that level of bigotry. No one will consume it. Well, no one but bigots like yourself and adult Trump supporters, who will ... ironically have a problem with it once they find out you yourself are a minority.

Quote:
There are too many advocacy groups out there now. If you're entertaining kids, in this day and age, I was told you have to appease parents and teachers.

WTF! You're making a f**kton assumption that the kids in question aren't the ideals holder in which the generated content is appealing to.

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2021 08:52 pm
JGoldman10 wrote:
In the new Looney Tunes series on HBO/Max Warner Bros. made the executive decision to strip Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam of their guns.

That's despicable. I hope their new series fails from low ratings.

Maybe pirates will provide free high quality downloads of old originals that people can use as an alternative.
0 Replies

Johnspartan1981

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2021 09:22 pm
@JGoldman10,
What makes stuff like Heavy Metal, Watership Down, Bojack Horseman, Fritz the Cat, classic Simpsons, Futurama, Wizards, The Wall, Fire and Ice, Archer, Aeon Flux, Spawn the animated series, Ninja Scroll and more no different than Nurse and Minerva Mink or are those aimed at adults?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2021 10:45 pm
@JGoldman10,
You seem to be making two contradictory argument.

1. You are arguing against political correctness. This implies that you think content shouldn't be censored just because it offends people.

2. Then you seem to be arguing that content should be censored because it offends people.

Which is it?
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 01:08 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:

Have you ever seen the Fox network cartoon (Family Guy)?

Quote:
Censorship is not really an issue if cartoons are being shown on cable/satellite TV where censorship groups like the FCC can't touch them.

1. With the exception of PBS, isn't cable, satellite, and streaming the only three places a person can view (kids) cartoon?

2. Correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think any of the four major networks still air (children) cartoons.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 05:16 am
@JGoldman10,
You’re the snowflake, if you have to rely on outdated stereotypes and prejudice to make a cartoon strip then maybe you should look for another career.

The reason you’ve not been successful has nothing to do with any alleged political correctness and everything to do with you procrastinating and looking for one excuse after another not to do any work.

Physician heal thyself.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 11:40 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

Quote:

Have you ever seen the Fox network cartoon (Family Guy)?

Or the myriad of Adult Swim cartoons, especially Robot Chicken; and Rick and Morty. Full disclosure: both series I find extraordinarily funny and rewatchable.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 12:05 pm
The purpose of Entertainment is to be entertaining. If misogyny is entertaining... then give me misogyny. If stories celebrating the lives of transgendered people, then give me stories celebrating transgendered people. Sex, gore, violence, war, childish stunts involving little people, if they are entertaining then bring them on.

I want good original stories with strong characters. I don't care whether my entertainment offends other people.

I loved Lady Ghostbusters. It was funny, original and was focused on telling a good story from a new perspective. I didn't like Lady Doctor Who, because they were so focused on pushing a social message they forgot that their primary purpose is to tell a good story. The ratings bore this out.
I also love Louis CK and the Ray Charles version of "Baby it's cold outside".

The problem with political correctness in pop entertainment is one of priority. If the goal of producing entertainment is to check of social boxes to create a product that is then pushed through several filters to make sure that no relevant group is offended... the story suffers.

When I am consuming entertainment, I want to be entertained.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2021 04:43 pm
Studios should not be either censoring content or compelling content. Alright, I'll agree that they should choose not to show content which calls an ethnic group inherently inferior, and shouldn't show obscene content to children, but nothing more than that.

Someone must be phenomenally stupid to have grown up in America, been taught about our Bill of Rights, and then go out and demand that shows adhere to their personal political and social beliefs.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2021 06:32 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon,

Do you understand what a studio is?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2021 03:50 pm
The left doesn't give a crap about or even particularly believe in the Bill of Rights. They don't believe in the idea of free speech (Anticipating the moronic post telling me that these studios were private entities not bound by the First Amendment, I'll remind you that I referred to the idea of free speech.) They don't believe in the right to bear arms. They don't even believe in the right to due process or that people should be considered innocent until proven guilty, persistently declaring people in the news guilty who haven't been tried. My suspicion is that they were responsible for significant cheating in the 2o2o election. If so, they don't even believe in democracy. They really need to be rooted out of government at every level.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2021 04:02 pm
@Brandon9000,
1. Yes the studios are private entitles with full editorial control of the content they own. I don't see how this fact is "moronic".

2. I consider myself to be on the "left" (although some people more extreme than I seem to disagree).

3. I have consistently argued for free speech. I have consistently argued for due process.

The left-wing and right-wing extremes have this continual battle that has a lot of mud throwing and very little intelligent discussion.

That doesn't mean that there aren't reaonsable people outside of the extremes. I haven't seen you questioning the right-wing extreme positions or considering points outside of your predictable ideological bubble,

If more people did this, there would be more intelligent conversation rather than this never-ending mud throwing.
0 Replies