Scholastic Book Fairs and You?

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2023 12:37 pm
I might be misremembering it. But I can't remember ever attending a Scholastic Book Fair when I was either in elementary or middle school.

Have you partaken in such a book fair (or similar reading program) when growing up? Any sentimental feelings towards the yearly book sale/festival?

Did they have any similar book sales in the UK or Australia or even Canada?

U.S. book bans are taking a toll on a beloved tradition: Scholastic Book Fairs

izzythepush

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2023 12:40 pm
@tsarstepan,
The closest we got was gettuing books out the skip.

Sometimes a kid's author will visit and sign their books.

My son met Korky Paul.

I've not heard of book fairs at school.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2023 12:46 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

My son met Korky Paul.

That's cool. Was the author a favorite of your son? Or just a coincidental meeting?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2023 12:47 pm
@tsarstepan,
He liked him,but he wasn't a favourite.

We were just lucky he came to his school.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2023 02:26 pm
@tsarstepan,
We had them in PA but when we moved to NY (I was just starting 6th grade), they stopped. Whether that was the fairs not happening at all on Long Island, or 6th grade being too old for some odd reason, I have no idea.

I'm pretty sure I still have a book from a fair, called The Dog in the Tapestry Garden.

Edit: couldn't find it (I was only cursorily looking), but Amazon has it!
https://www.amazon.com/tapestry-garden-Dorothy-Pulis-Lathrop/dp/B0006AXPJM/
0 Replies

cherrie

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2023 11:47 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'm pretty sure we didn't have them when I was at school, or that might have just been my school, I don't know.

But when my kids were at primary school they were an annual event. They brought the catalogue home and spent ages deciding what book to get.

The Parent's Club also used to give each child a book at Christmas (from Santa) and those books were bought from the book fair as well. If I remember correctly the school got a percentage of the sales money so it was also a good fundraiser.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2023 10:12 am
@tsarstepan,
I remember these in the 70s and my kids did they more recently. My parents would always let me get a couple of cheap books and I was always excited when the shipment arrived.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2023 02:17 pm
@tsarstepan,
We had Scholastic Books Fairs every year (sometimes twice) in Ohio until Jr High School. We also had Christmas Gift Fairs. Had us selling Christmas wrapping, chocolate bars, etc.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2023 08:43 am
We had them in Canada (Ontario) and my kids were always excited to bring the catalogue home. Not sure about now as my grandkids have not started school yet.
0 Replies