Muhammad Cartoonist Saga Continues!

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 02:49 pm
http://www.spiegel.de/static/sys/v8/headlines/spiegelonline_print.gif
10/28/2009 12:03 PM

Quote:
Muhammad Cartoonist Targeted
US Indicts Two for Plot to Attack Danish Newspaper

American law-enforcement authorities have arrested two men charged with preparing terrorist attacks against Jyllands-Posten, the Danish newspaper that offended Muslims around the world in 2005 when it published caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad. The cartoon artist was reportedly also a target.

A 49-year-old US national and a 48-year-old Canadian national are under arrest in Chicago on charges of preparing a terrorist attack against the Jyllands-Posten newspaper and other targets in Denmark. In 2005, the newspaper published caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad that offended Muslims across the world and sparked violent protests.

Those charged are reported to be David Coleman Headley, 49, and Tahawwur Hussain Rana, 48. The Chicago Tribune says that Headley is an American citizen who changed his name in 2006 from Daood Gilani. Headley is charged with one count of conspiracy to commit terrorist acts involving murder and maiming outside the United States and another count of conspiracy to provide material support to the conspiracy. In papers filed with the court, FBI officials said the two had met while attending school together in Pakistan.

Rana, who is a Canadian living legally in Chicago, is charged with one count of conspiracy to provide material support to the foreign conspiracy involving Headley and three other individuals.

For the rest of the article....
http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,druck-657794,00.html
http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,657794,00.html#ref=nlint
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 3,494 • Replies: 19
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 02:51 pm
@tsarstepan,
RELATED SPIEGEL ONLINE LINKS:
Interview with Muhammad Cartoonist Westergaard: 'The Cartoon Must Not Be Used Against Muslims as a Whole' (03/28/2008)
http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/0,1518,544052,00.html[url]
[/url]Muhammad Caricature Fallout: A Danish Illustrator's Life in Hiding (02/29/2008)
http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/0,1518,538553,00.html
Muhammad Caricature Fallout: Denmark Busts Alleged Plot to Kill Cartoonists (02/12/2008)
http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/0,1518,534704,00.html
Cartoon Controversy: Violence Escalates as West Calls for Calm (02/07/2006)
http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,399499,00.html
Photo Gallery: Muslim World Erupts in Cartoon Related Unrest
http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotostrecke-12380.html
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 02:59 pm
@tsarstepan,
Cmon you Muslims, get a sense of humor! Muhammed was a thug, deal with it.
BillRM

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 03:42 pm
@farmerman,
Muhammed was a thug, deal with it.
---------------------------------------------------
Far too simple minded position to take concerning Mudhammed or even Moss who order his army to put to dead all but the young virgin women encluding male babies in thier mother arms.

You can state, by looking back with our current moral strandards, that almost all figures in history was mass killers and thugs.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 10:11 am
This all tends to support the accuracy of his cartoon.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 10:39 am
The 2nd of January 2006 it turned out that several Danish imamers amongst otherst Ahmed Akkari, Muhammed Fouad al-Barazi and Abu Bashar travelled in the Middle East to show false Muhammed drawings to get support by people in high positions for their protests against Denmark. Behind this initative was the Islamisk Trossamfund in Copenhagen.
One of the falsefied drawings showed Muhammed as a pig. This was much worse than any of the drawings made by any of the twelve Danes.

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 10:43 am
Intruder shot at home of Danish cartoonist

Kurt Westergaard's controversial cartoons of the prophet Muhammad sparked worldwide protests and forced him into hiding

Danish police have shot and wounded a man at the home of Kurt Westergaard, whose controversial cartoons of the prophet Muhammad sparked a storm of Muslim protest five years ago.

Danish media reported last night that Westergaard, 74, was at home near the city of Aarhus with his wife and grandchild when a 27-year-old Somalian man armed with a knife and axe tried to break in.

Chief superintendant Morten Jensen, from East Jutland police, said: "At 10pm a personal alarm was received from Mr Westergaard's house."

Officers found a man "armed with an axe and a knife in either hand," he said. "He broke a window of Mr Westergaard's house. He tried to attack one officer with an axe and he was shot in his right leg and his left arm." He said the man was not seriously injured and was now in custody.

In 2005 the Jyllands-Posten newspaper published a caricature by Westergaard depicting Muhammad wearing a turban shaped like a bomb with a fuse.

Islamic tradition says no image of the prophet should be produced or shown.

Danish embassies were attacked including the one in Damascus which was burned down in 2006 and death threats against Westergaard forced him into hiding.

In March 2008 Denmark's three main newspapers reprinted the cartoon after the arrest of three men for plotting to murder the artist.The three " a Dane of Moroccan origin and two Tunisians " were picked up in a dawn raid near Aarhus following a long surveillance operation by the country's intelligence services, the PET.

The Dane was eventually released without charge and one of the two Tunisians was deported. The other was sent to live in an asylum centre north of Copenhagen.

The Jyllands-Posten also carried a statement from the cartoonist revealing how he had feared for his life but then "turned fear into anger and indignation".

"It has made me angry that a perfectly normal everyday activity, which I used to do by the thousand, was abused to set off such madness," the statement added.

In today's Jyllands-Posten, Westergaard described the incident: "He threatened to kill me. I ran out to the bathroom where our security room is. I was worried for my grandchild. I was afraid.

"I knew that I could not match him. So I alerted the police. It was scary. It was really close. But we did it. It was good."

Westergaard was moved to a safe place last night but was unable to say what the attempted attack would mean for his future.

"It is too early to say. I must speak with PET and then we will see," he said.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 11:34 am
Interesting. I hate that this is still going on.. and, well, of course, the attempt to quiet the press and punish Westergaard in the first place.

This all reminds me of this story -
http://able2know.org/topic/124659-1
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 12:48 pm
Politiken Corrects: Danish Paper Settles Muhammad Cartoon Issue:

Quote:
The Danish daily Politiken, which partners with SPIEGEL ONLINE, has reached a settlement with the descendants of the Prophet Muhammad, apologizing for the offence caused by the Muhammad caricatures republished by the paper. Not all politicians in Denmark support the move.

As the first newspaper to do so, Politiken has reached a settlement with descendants of the Prophet Muhammad in connection with the affront its reprint of drawings of the Prophet Muohammad in 2008 may have caused Muslims.

The settlement was reached between Politiken and eight organisations representing 94,923 descendants of the Prophet Muhammad in a move Politiken's Editor-in-Chief Tøger Seidenfaden says shows that dialogue is the way forward.
"The settlement looks ahead and expresses very sensible views. It may possibly reduce the tensions that have shown themselves to be so resilient. It gives us hope that relations between Denmark, and not least its media, and the Muslim world can be improved," Seidenfaden says, adding he does not believe Politiken's move is a freedom of speech sellout.

Under the settlement, Politiken has not given up its right to publish the cartoons and does not apologize for having printed them, but rather expresses regret for the affront felt by some Muslims.

Lawyer Faisal Yamani, who entered into the settlement on behalf of the descendants of the Prophet Muhammad says the settlement is a good one.

... ... ...
BillRM

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 01:11 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
How silly can you be and were funds transfer to these so call descendants?
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 02:34 pm
Politiken is the only newspaper which has come up with an excuse.
The media and also politicians were against it and feel that Denmark has the right of freedom of opinion
High Seas

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 02:46 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Politiken Corrects: Danish Paper Settles Muhammad Cartoon Issue:

Quote:
The Danish daily Politiken, which partners with SPIEGEL ONLINE, has reached a settlement with the descendants of the Prophet Muhammad, apologizing for the offence caused by the Muhammad caricatures republished by the paper. ....
... ... ...

This is absurd on the face of it, Walter,

If you bother to read the actual article you posted: it claims Prophet Mohammed currently has 95,000 descendants. That's possible if you go back to the 7th century BC, but can any of them prove it. first, and, second, how are they all represented by a single law firm, and, third, how are damages divided among them, by order of primogenitude?!
High Seas

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 02:50 pm
@saab,
Saab - I'm with you on that one: I got any number of titled relatives (Walter knows some of their names) who are forever freaking out about tracking back their ancestry to before the first crusade. Who cares? Obviously they do, and then so do Mohammed's 75,000, so I hope someone will answer our questions for us.
High Seas

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 02:55 pm
@High Seas,
eek sorry typo, primogeniture was meant! Here's the relevant part of the quote:
",,,Jyllands-Posten's Editor-in-Chief Jørn Mikkelsen says it is regrettable that Politiken has folded, instead of maintaining solidarity with the other newspapers. "Politiken has betrayed the battle for freedom of speech. They've given up" and bowed to threats. That is, of course, disgraceful," Mikkelsen says.

Walter will realize that if my Tante Ingeborg reads this I will be shot at dawn, so nobody please bruit this typographical error about Smile
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 03:08 pm
@saab,
saab wrote:

Politiken is the only newspaper which has come up with an excuse.
The media and also politicians were against it and feel that Denmark has the right of freedom of opinion

Politiken certainly is part of the 'media', isn't it? And they have fredom of opinion as well, don't they?
High Seas

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 03:09 pm
@High Seas,
Erratum, Saab - sorry - that was 95,000 (ninety-five thousand, not 75,000) descendants of the Prophet Mohammed. Do these law firms who represented them actually have auditors, and if one of the 95,000 gets no money from them, will they sue and seek to have the lawyer's right hand chopped off under Sharia law?Mr. Seidenfaden (Mr "silk thread", gimme a break) should be inducted into the new US Tea Party. Watch this space!
Quote:
...The settlement was reached between Politiken and eight organisations representing 94,923 descendants of the Prophet Muhammad in a move Politiken's Editor-in-Chief Tøger Seidenfaden says shows that dialogue is the way forward.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 03:10 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

Walter will realize that if my Tante Ingeborg reads this I will be shot at dawn, so nobody please bruit this typographical error about Smile

It's already past dawn here ...
High Seas

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 03:16 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
It's already past dawn here ...

Ah, so Napoleon's longstanding ambition has been satisfied and Europe has finally subsumed Toutes les Russies and reached the Pacific. Well, congratulations Walter - but unless you're standing on a beach near Vladivostok - it's nowhere near dawn yet:)
0 Replies

saab

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 12:07 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The other newpapers say that Politiken has freedom of speach just like everybody else, but they still think it is wrong to do what they did.
saab

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 12:28 am
@saab,
I don´t think the settlement involves money - just the excuse. At least I have not seen or read anything about money.

Here is the settlement from Politiken

As part of Politiken's news coverage of Mr Kurt Westergaard's cartoon drawing of the Prophet Mohammed ("the Cartoon Drawing"), first published in the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten in September 2005, Politiken reprinted the Cartoon Drawing.

Politiken has never intended to reprint the Cartoon Drawing as a statement of editorial opinion or values but merely as part of the newspaper's news coverage.

It was never Politiken's intention to offend Muslims in Denmark or elsewhere with the reprinting of the Cartoon Drawing.

However, Politiken recognizes and deplores that our reprinting of the Cartoon Drawing of the Prophet Mohammed has offended Muslims in Denmark and in other countries around the world.

We apologize to anyone who was offended by our decision to reprint the Cartoon Drawing.
0 Replies